Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-06-2008, 01:55 AM   #1
annissa_newcomb
annissa_newcomb began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Unhappy kindle won't let me read the books

I just got my kindle today. Was waiting(not so patiently) to FINALLY get it. Then i find out i can't use the whispernet, tech said no prob download the books to the pc. So i do. but when i try to read them on my Kindle i get a message saying the selected item could not be opened, try redownloading, if that doesn't work call tech back.....well they had no clue as to why it won't let me open these items and did several different walk throughs....Anyone else have the same problem???
annissa_newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:42 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Have you tried driving to someplace where the Sprint service does work?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2008, 06:27 AM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I can think of a couple reasons you might be having trouble.

1. Is your Kindle registered to your Amazon account? Silly question, I know. You wouldn't have been able to buy a Kindle ebook if it weren't. But check anyway.

2. Are the ebooks in question from the same account as your Kindle? They have to be, or you can't read them.

3. Are you downloading the file directly to your Kindle, or to your PC? Downloading direct to the Kindle might introduce errors.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:31 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Try downloading one of the MobiPocket books from this site, and see if they work.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:44 AM   #5
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Try a different USB cable if nothing else works, I've had bad USB cables do funny and bad things to my PC.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2008, 10:07 AM   #6
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I can think of a couple reasons you might be having trouble.

1. Is your Kindle registered to your Amazon account? Silly question, I know. You wouldn't have been able to buy a Kindle ebook if it weren't. But check anyway.

2. Are the ebooks in question from the same account as your Kindle? They have to be, or you can't read them.

3. Are you downloading the file directly to your Kindle, or to your PC? Downloading direct to the Kindle might introduce errors.
Like Nate surmised it is a drm problem. I have have several Kindles on my account and I get the same message when I download an item and don't 'target' it for a certain Kindle, ie. the PID of the item and the Kindle must match.

For some reason the books you have do not match the PID of your Kindle.

Go to "Manage Your Kindle" from the main Kindle page on your computer (click in upper right) and see if the serial number registered to your Kindle matches the one on the back of the unit (under the back cover).

And you could try again with customer service...some reps are more knowledgeable than others.

BTW, if you want free samples and you are out of Whispernet range go here:

http://www.mobipocket.com/en/eBooks/...me=Biographies

Last edited by Kingston; 05-06-2008 at 10:11 AM.
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:25 AM   #7
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
try downloading a non drm book and see if you can read it, like from this site. If you can't read it then I'd ask Amazon to send another Kindle
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 02:08 PM   #8
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Books from this forum should be in "mobipocket" format. Just to be clear!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:42 PM   #9
Chunkygirl
Chunkygirl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
This may not be the problem and you may have figured it out by now, but make sure the download file is in the "documents" folder. When I've downloaded from the computer it doesn't automatically put in there, I have to put it there myself.
Chunkygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:46 AM   #10
judib
judib began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Maybe the book you purchased doesn't have the voice option. When purchasing the books they will tell you if the voice option is enabled.
judib is offline   Reply With Quote