Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-12-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
Hopwood
Hopwood began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Fastboot problems

A few days ago, my I turned on my Kindle Touch's wifi, and it updated itself. When I came back, it was stuck at the loading screen with the person reading under a tree.

I've tried charging it and doing a hard reset, but it didn't seem to have any effect. Next I followed the guide here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170929 but I get stuck with fastboot waiting for the device. Any advice would is appreciated, as I would love to get back to reading.

tl;dr: fastboot is stuck on <waiting for device>

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Hopwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:45 PM   #2
Hopwood

I should probably be more specific about the steps that I have done. Using Windows XP on VirtualBox with linux mint 11 as the host, I ran the MFGTool, which reports that it successfully put the kindle into fastboot mode. I then disconnect the kindle from the virtual machine and try running "fastboot flash diag mmcblk0p2_ssh.img, which reports <waiting for device> and never advances.
Advert
Old 08-12-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
@mods: please put this in the developer's corner, thanks!

@Hopwood: you need to install the appropriate libusb driver in Windows for fastboot to work correctly. Make sure you followed the steps in the "noobs guide" (linked from the post that you linked to).

I personally never got this entire stuff to work correctly in a VirtualBox, so I had to use a native installation. And even then, all the drivers installation is a PITA under Windows. Anyway, it works for others in a VM, maybe you just need to double-check that the USB device is actually "forwarded" to the client. Or, you could simply try to run the native Linux fastboot (as root), without a VM.

Other than that, I'm afraid I can't be of much more help.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #4
Hopwood

When I try to install the drivers, I never get any new hardware. What should the device come up as in the inf-installer for libusb?
Old 08-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
Hopwood

Well, I'm going to just get the device replaced, so.... I don't really need help anymore *shrug*
Advert