Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-28-2011, 02:53 PM   #196
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Once the browser is closed, the affiliate session is ended -- Amazon is clear on that. That includes rebooting and cookie clearing. There is also a 24-hour window after which the cookie is purged if it hasn't been already.
I just went to Amazon via one of your affiliate links in an incognito window and checked the dev tools... there are NO session cookies. There is a cookie that expires in 24 hours called csm-hit. That cookie WILL survive a browser close and reopen.

I write web apps for a living, I understand how cookies work.

Where is Amazon "clear on that"?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:03 PM   #197
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
You'd have been 'worried' otherwise? It's important to you that Amazon keeps all their profit and shares none with folk who refer traffic to the site?
Of course. I'm too greedy and self-centered to let anyone else get anything for free. I think Amazon's affiliate program is dishonest and unfair, and they should discontinue it immediately. Why should complete stranger get anything at all from my online purchases?

(For the uninitiated: Yes, that was sarcasm. Lots of it. )
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 03:20 PM   #198
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I just went to Amazon via one of your affiliate links in an incognito window and checked the dev tools... there are NO session cookies. There is a cookie that expires in 24 hours called csm-hit. That cookie WILL survive a browser close and reopen.

I write web apps for a living, I understand how cookies work.

Where is Amazon "clear on that"?

BOb
You know what? I was wrong, and you're right. Either they've changed that since I signed up or I mis-read the original agreement. Huh.

Quote:
7. How does Amazon track orders coming from my Web site?

An Associates ID is assigned when you sign up through our online form. Links from Associates Web sites to Amazon use a special format that includes this code. Every time a customer follows one of those links to our site, this unique URL tells us which page to display as well as which Associate sent the customer to us. We keep track of the Associates ID as the customer browses through our Web site, and even if they close their browser and come back later that day.
Source: https://affiliate-program.amazon.com.../join/faq.html

I apologize for my mistake. I do remember an affiliate program saying that "closing the browser" would end the session... am I thinking of B&N affiliates? I really can't say. CAT scan time, I suppose.

Last edited by anamardoll; 09-28-2011 at 03:24 PM.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:28 PM   #199
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
So I have a girlfriend who uses her Cart as her Wish List. There's stuff in there that will, someday, give referral money to some link she clicked on years ago. In theory, anyway.
No, that's not true. Stuff that's in the cart for more than 24 hours will not be credited to the affiliate. Also, if you click through on an affiliate link and check out an existing cart, that will not be credited to any affiliate either--not the initial one, not the current one.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:36 PM   #200
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
No, that's not true. Stuff that's in the cart for more than 24 hours will not be credited to the affiliate. Also, if you click through on an affiliate link and check out an existing cart, that will not be credited to any affiliate either--not the initial one, not the current one.
We're both wrong. (I swear they keep changing the TOS. My memory is not THIS bad.)

Quote:
7. Advertising Fees
We will pay you advertising fees on Qualifying Purchases in accordance with Section 8 and the Associates Program Advertising Fee Schedule. Subject to the exclusions set forth below, a “Qualifying Purchase” occurs when (a) a customer clicks through a Special Link on your site to the Amazon Site; (b) during a single Session that customer either (i) adds a Product to his or her shopping cart and places the order for that Product no later than 89 days following the customer’s initial click-through, (ii) purchases a Product via our 1-Click feature, or (iii) streams or downloads a Product from the Amazon Site if the Product is a Digital Product; and (c) the Product is shipped to or streamed or downloaded by, and paid for by, the customer.
https://affiliate-program.amazon.com...help/operating

Presumably, though, you're right about the conflicting affiliate link de-affiliating the cart item? I can't be sure.

Quote:
Also, if you click through on an affiliate link and check out an existing cart, that will not be credited to any affiliate either--not the initial one, not the current one.
Now that I knew. (Yay! Something Ana actually did know!)

Last edited by anamardoll; 09-28-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 03:46 PM   #201
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
[never mind, all questions answered right before I asked....]

Last edited by ApK; 09-28-2011 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Ana's fast on the draw.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:47 PM   #202
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
(For the uninitiated: Yes, that was sarcasm. Lots of it. )
Based on previous posts, I figured, but the fact that this subject is at issue means I can't be quite sure anymore....
Old 09-28-2011, 07:14 PM   #203
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Once the browser is closed, the affiliate session is ended -- Amazon is clear on that. That includes rebooting and cookie clearing. There is also a 24-hour window after which the cookie is purged if it hasn't been already.

The ONLY exception to that is that anything the prospective buyer puts in their cart during that session is eligible for the referral fee -- even if they check out later, after the cookie clears.

So I have a girlfriend who uses her Cart as her Wish List. There's stuff in there that will, someday, give referral money to some link she clicked on years ago. In theory, anyway.
There is actually an expiration date on cart contents, as well -- I believe it is currently 90 days (but, I too am too lazy to go over the forum and look it up, plus it's a pain on the iPad when at the coffee shop).

No matter how long you leave the browser open, the session expires in 24 hours at the latest. It can expire earlier, if the person makes any non-digital order (including a one-click order), closes the browser (including rebooting) or clicks on another affiliate link. Clearing cookies will also close the session, which is why most of us believe a cookie gets set.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:16 PM   #204
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Based on previous posts, I figured, but the fact that this subject is at issue means I can't be quite sure anymore....
I figured, that's why I added that comment at the end. Written communication is lacking about 80% of the message you'd get if we were talking face to face, so I've learned it's better to over-explain than risk misunderstandings.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:15 PM   #205
Halo
Connoisseur
Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle DX 1st Gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Correct - it applies to all purchases made during that visit to Amazon, not just to the product linked to. That's why people use affiliate links for "free" books.
I don't see the problem. The price is the same with or without an affiliate link. Why do we/you/whoever care if Amazon wants to share their profits with an affiliate?

This whole thing seems like an overreaction to a non-problem.
Halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:33 PM   #206
bookratt
Wizard
bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505 & PRS600, iPad, Pandigital Novel, iPad 2
Now I have a headache and my eyes ache from reading all this...UGH!

I'm not one of the people that complained to the mods, and I don't really see what the big deal about the affiliate links is. Be up front, and I'm happy. I guess this affiliate mess explains why one of the affiliate posters were rude to me when I posted freebie books for the "ibook" that I did a search on here on MR, and found no other listing for.

This was upsetting, like I'm really supposed to know it's under the "xyz" posting (of course it was one of their affiliate postings). Just my 2 cents...:<
bookratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:10 PM   #207
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
It can expire earlier, if the person[...] closes the browser (including rebooting)
Amazon explicitly says this is not so in the text Ana posted above.
Amazon is free to maintain the affiliate link association with an Amazon account by their own server-side methods for as little or as much time as they like. The use of cookies really need have nothing to do with it.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:26 PM   #208
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
We're both wrong. (I swear they keep changing the TOS. My memory is not THIS bad.)
Hmm. I think that is indeed a change. I helped someone set up affiliate links around 18 months ago, and that was the last time I looked at all the rules, and I definitely don't remember that long time span. Thanks for the clarification.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:54 AM   #209
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Hmm. I think that is indeed a change. I helped someone set up affiliate links around 18 months ago, and that was the last time I looked at all the rules, and I definitely don't remember that long time span. Thanks for the clarification.
I agree, along with the cookie not being removed when the browser is closed -- I've received some TOS updates from Amazon over the last year, but largely ignored them.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:40 AM   #210
BillSmithBooks
Padawan Learner
BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: www.OutlawGalaxy.com, Foothills of NY's Adirondack mountains
Device: My PC...using Puppy Linux (FBReader, Calibre, Kindle Cloud Reader,
Old MobileRead policy:

Hey, I just found a cool book, here's the link.

New MobileRead policy:

somehow has to figure out if this is an affiliate link and if I do end up posting somebody else's affiliate link without knowing, I'll get reported by somebody and possibly accused of being a liar on top of that.

At what point will there be a need to verify that there is no financial interest at all in any links...like linking to our blog and ensuring there is no adsense or that we don't personally know an author for whom we are linking to their book...

"Once the avalanche has started, it is too late for the pebbles to vote." -- Kosh

I am simply bewildered. This is a very good way to discourage participation in an online community.

Last edited by BillSmithBooks; 09-29-2011 at 10:43 AM.
BillSmithBooks is offline   Reply With Quote