Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 06-06-2011, 02:38 PM   #1
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
RFO BASIC! for Android

http://www.laughton.com/basic/index.html

For all those who like to do your own custom programs. Now the author has a procedure where you can create your own standalone APKs (BASIC! need not be installed on the device). Create and debug a program on your edge, then distribute to your friends.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
nice find, though I personally don't like basic all that much, I'm sure someone will find it useful.
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Basic is pretty much my go-to language for quick and dirty programming. A lot of oldtimers like myself [pulls waistband up above bellybutton, adjusts dentures] learned it first (actually I learned Z80 and 6502 assembly first, basic was a godsend compared to that!), cause all the old 8 bit systems had an interpreter. I never really could learn to like C++ though I've use it. IMP Object Pascal rocks!
Old 06-06-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord

BTW, I haven't tried it yet, but if you like scripting languages (Python, Perl, Ruby) there is http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/
Old 06-06-2011, 04:53 PM   #5
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

yeah, I've just started learning ruby... I started with C a few years ago in order to program some DS "homebrew", since then I've learned C++/Java and a little bit of AVR assembly(FUN stuff lol)(I also know bits and pieces of a lot more, including basic and RPL aka LISP without parentheses^^). I don't think its too bad given that I just graduated high school three days ago...
Advert
Old 06-06-2011, 10:43 PM   #6
Michealj
Michealj began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
Congratulations Emusan. What's next?

Regards,
Micheal
Michealj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:58 PM   #7
emusan
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michealj View Post
Congratulations Emusan. What's next?
Once I've got a good understanding of ruby, probably javascript and then probably college lol.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:17 AM   #8
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Congratulations, Emusan!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:24 AM   #9
Last_of_the_PEs
Groupie
Last_of_the_PEs began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage PE
Outstanding! I've been pining for the FOR NEXT LOOP for years. Sometimes QUICK is what you need, a lot more than fast or elegant. Of course, one can take it TOO FAR. I remember a guy who spent four years writing a database for the HP 70 & 90 series handhelds.
Last_of_the_PEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:35 AM   #10
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by emusan View Post
I don't think its too bad given that I just graduated high school three days ago...
Congrats!
Old 06-07-2011, 12:46 PM   #11
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
Basic is pretty much my go-to language for quick and dirty programming. A lot of oldtimers like myself [pulls waistband up above bellybutton, adjusts dentures] learned it first (actually I learned Z80 and 6502 assembly first, basic was a godsend compared to that!), cause all the old 8 bit systems had an interpreter. I never really could learn to like C++ though I've use it. IMP Object Pascal rocks!

I started programming in Fortran IV on TI Silent 700 terminals connected to a PDP11 at Marquette U when I was in high school ('75). I also had a Motorola 6800 demo or trainer that was programmed in machine language using toggle switches (1975-76). Next I had a PL1 class at Florida Tech U (now called UCF) where we had to punch cards and put them in a card reader to run a program. A little later (around '79 or '80) I was doing machine language programming on an RCA 1802 with some sort of crude video generator chip that I used to make an automatic morse code reader that would display 4 lines of text on a video monitor.

Also around 79 or 80 I had an assembly language programming class that had such a horrible instructor I managed to get a D. I retook the class (with the same instructor- ugh!) and ignored the lectures and studied on my own and got an A.

Lately (the last 10 years) I like PIC microcontrollers which I program in assembly for hobby projects. You can't beat the speed and efficiency of assembly language coding. One of these days I'll probably play with Arduino just because of their ubiquity.
Mark Rehorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:48 PM   #12
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

Quote:
Originally Posted by emusan View Post
I don't think its too bad given that I just graduated high school three days ago...

Yeah! Go!

MR
Old 06-07-2011, 01:10 PM   #13
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord

I started off with a second hand MITS Altair 8800 ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altair_8800 ) which I got for fixing the botched assembly job the guy made on it. Also had a Heathkit 3400 ( http://www.vintage-computer.com/heathkit3400.shtml ). Spent several summers repairing Sperry Univac U200 terminals. Made several apple][ clones. Sometimes I miss the old eight bit days.....
Old 06-07-2011, 01:15 PM   #14
emusan
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rehorst View Post
Lately (the last 10 years) I like PIC microcontrollers which I program in assembly for hobby projects. You can't beat the speed and efficiency of assembly language coding. One of these days I'll probably play with Arduino just because of their ubiquity.
also (lol sorry to derail the thread)

I've been thinking of getting into PIC's as well, I've been using AVR's for awhile now, but it seems like a lot of people are moving to PIC(I'm also learning some ARM stuff with the new lauchpad that TI put out, $4.30 for a full dev'ing environment was too good to pass up. I don't really like Arduino, I think its a great developing environment for prototyping stuff, but people use it too often in finalized designs because they get too lazy to switch over to a normal uC, it leads people to thinking that they need to pay $30 for what they can get for $1-2.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #15
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist

Exactly my thinking on the Arduino. I see people using $50 circuit boards to do something as simple as read a phototransistor or CDS cell and then turn something on or off, without even programming any timers, delays, etc. I can appreciate that Arduino allows people with absolutely no knowledge of electronics to do things without a lot of effort, but come on, if you can learn to program an Arduino board you can learn enough about electronics to know when you need or don't need a uC.