Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-26-2011, 07:32 PM   #1
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Acer Iconia Tab A500 - $450

Haven't seen anyone mention this yet. Stumbled upon this at Best Buy this morning. Priced at $450. Very nice looking. Bigger than XOOM, but seems lighter.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Acer+-+I...blet&cp=1&lp=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBcjN...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg2Gj...eature=related

Want to play with it again.

Last edited by SCION; 04-26-2011 at 08:36 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:09 PM   #2
robtillotson
robtillotson will become famous soon enoughrobtillotson will become famous soon enoughrobtillotson will become famous soon enoughrobtillotson will become famous soon enoughrobtillotson will become famous soon enoughrobtillotson will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook, Kindle 1
I picked one of these up today -- I had originally thought I would get an EEE Transformer, but the combination of its unavailability and some more thought about whether I actually wanted to buy the keyboard dock (which is required to have any USB ports at all) led me to grab the Iconia instead.

It's my first tablet so I don't have extensive experience with anything else to compare, but so far I like it a lot. It feels solid and fast, the screen is nice (the EEE's is apparently better, but I don't feel like anything is wrong with the Iconia's... and it beats the heck out of the repurposed netbook screen in the Viewsonic g-tablet that I almost bought last week).

It's running a pretty stock Honeycomb with some added "shelf" icons in the launcher, a couple of game demos, and some redundant media player apps. I'm not planning to use it to read prose (I prefer e-ink for that), but I expect it to be excellent for comic books and PDFs...

The only problems I've noticed so far are (1) the USB interface seems to use some other protocol than mass storage, such that it only works with Windows and not Mac. A SMB-capable file manager is a reasonable solution to that, I suppose. (2) I haven't managed to get the GPS to get a proper lock yet, and (3) Acer's DLNA client doesn't like my media server for some reason.

Also, I don't think it's been rooted yet, if that's a consideration.

--Rob
robtillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2011, 11:49 PM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for taking the time to post!
Old 04-27-2011, 01:48 AM   #4
SCION
Séduisant

Is there access to the Android Market?
Old 04-27-2011, 08:03 AM   #5
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
it has android market otb. i was considering this one until i read the specs that the monitor only displays 262K colors. regular folk may not notice it without test images, but since i work in printing(prepress) and do tons of image correction it's hard for me to not notice - not saying that there aren't some displays that squeeze the heck out 262K and make them look as good as a cheaper 16M screen.

it's got built in full size usb and micro,hdmi, and supposedly has a working sim slot. the eee pad only has the proprietary connector and hdmi. you can't use usb host with the eee pad without the dock. the xoom can do usb host if you root it and even get ntfs support.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2011, 02:47 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant

A reviewer on bestbuy.com mentioned not being able to charge off the USB (AC adapter only). I wonder if this is accurate. I don't have any experience with these large screen devices so if someone would chime in on whether or not this is the norm.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:22 PM   #7
SCION
Séduisant

MobileTech Review

My girl, Lisa, is on the ball with a review. I can't tell you enough...you're the best!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMmS8ObCMbA
Old 04-27-2011, 03:33 PM   #8
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtillotson View Post
(1) the USB interface seems to use some other protocol than mass storage, such that it only works with Windows and not Mac. ...
--Rob
For those who don't know. Android File Transfer for Honeycomb products. The workaround for Macs.

http://www.android.com/filetransfer/
Old 04-27-2011, 06:04 PM   #9
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
A reviewer on bestbuy.com mentioned not being able to charge off the USB (AC adapter only). I wonder if this is accurate. I don't have any experience with these large screen devices so if someone would chime in on whether or not this is the norm.
I think it is the norm. The iPad doesn't charge off USB (officially, at least. the battery will go up a percentage point or two if you leave it plugged into the computer for a while)
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:29 AM   #10
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
I'm just going to receive mine tomorrow. I will do extensive reviews in my blog, I will post here them. If all go right, they will start on Saturday or Sunday.

Reviews will be in Spanish, but you can use an online transtator to put in English (Knowing I do extensive use of passive verbs and other literary constructs, you will get some strange phrases in English :-) )
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:30 PM   #11
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
My girl, Lisa, is on the ball with a review. I can't tell you enough...you're the best!

Thx for the link. The tablet looks very nice.

I like how Lisa takes time to review the reader features of the tablet, very helpful for the MobileRead folks.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:10 PM   #12
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtillotson View Post
...(2) I haven't managed to get the GPS to get a proper lock yet,...
--Rob
Hmmm....this may be a real issue. Darn.

Quote:
Initially I loved this tablet and for the most part I still do. I did come across one major flaw though. The GPS will not work on this device. Also, I am not the only one with this issue after searching the internet.

To truely test this you must have Wi-Fi disabled so the tablet will only use the GPS for location information. Google Maps says "location information not available." I also tested this using a free app from the Android market place called GPS Test and this confirmed my earlier results. The table will not fix on any satellites.

Despite this tablet being priced $150 below the Xoom, this major flaw was a deal breaker. If I am going to pay this much for a device everything needs to work, especially major components such as the GPS.

I attempted to contact Acer about this issue and they were less than helpful. They had no clue what GPS was on this device. They kept advising me to contact my internet provider to see if the setting were correct. Really???
Old 04-28-2011, 03:48 PM   #13
bear4hunter
Addict
bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle 3 & DX Graphite, PocketBook 302 & Pro 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
The iPad doesn't charge off USB
For the first generation, this is only partially true: if the screen is on, it want charge, but if it's off, it charges...
bear4hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:08 PM   #14
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:

She is THE BEST. I think she is probably the only one I can think of off hand where I can say with out a doubt, there is no bias, no agenda. Just a great thorough review. And not just a gloss over but an indepth review.

Take a look at her review of the Xoom and then compare it to some of the more well established sites such as Cnet, Engadet etc. It's night and day.

Last edited by boswd; 04-28-2011 at 04:11 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:48 AM   #15
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Haven't seen anyone mention this yet. Stumbled upon this at Best Buy this morning. Priced at $450. Very nice looking. Bigger than XOOM, but seems lighter.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Acer+-+I...blet&cp=1&lp=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBcjN...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg2Gj...eature=related

Want to play with it again.

Looks great!
Glad to see the 3.0 Tablets arriving!

Last edited by kennyc; 04-29-2011 at 07:52 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote