Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-13-2009, 10:25 AM   #46
danegeld
Enthusiast
danegeld is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-700
I got my black cover this morning. I'm less than thrilled. The tab that keeps it closed is obnoxiously in the way and there's an elastic band for holding a pen on the inside of the spine that prevents it from closing all the way on its own. The inside is a medium gray suede that will unquestionably show a grimy thumb mark in the near future. The bottom non-elastic corners are uneven (the left is wider than the right and the angles aren't the same), indicating cheap manufacturing. Both of the top corners are elastic and the left one slightly overlaps the power slider. The pockets on the inside left are a nice idea, but the two small pockets for SD/MemoryStick cards align with the buttons on right side of the reader when the cover is closed and are thus useless.

I'll give this cover a few days, but I imagine I'll be going back to the original. I like its simplicity and the magnets that hold it closed. I haven't had any problems with the clip yet, but unless someone comes out with another cover that uses the clip, I'll probably end up biting the bullet and buying another OEM cover for a backup. The M-Edge cover is a good idea, but it obviously wasn't thought through completely and wasn't tested with real-world use.
danegeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:14 PM   #47
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by danegeld View Post
I got my black cover this morning. I'm less than thrilled. The tab that keeps it closed is obnoxiously in the way and there's an elastic band for holding a pen on the inside of the spine that prevents it from closing all the way on its own. The inside is a medium gray suede that will unquestionably show a grimy thumb mark in the near future. The bottom non-elastic corners are uneven (the left is wider than the right and the angles aren't the same), indicating cheap manufacturing. Both of the top corners are elastic and the left one slightly overlaps the power slider. The pockets on the inside left are a nice idea, but the two small pockets for SD/MemoryStick cards align with the buttons on right side of the reader when the cover is closed and are thus useless.

I'll give this cover a few days, but I imagine I'll be going back to the original. I like its simplicity and the magnets that hold it closed. I haven't had any problems with the clip yet, but unless someone comes out with another cover that uses the clip, I'll probably end up biting the bullet and buying another OEM cover for a backup. The M-Edge cover is a good idea, but it obviously wasn't thought through completely and wasn't tested with real-world use.
that's sad, I believe m-edge has a 60 day return policy, and amazon defenatly has a 30 day return policy

Mine just shipped out today. hopefully I have better luck
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2009, 01:48 PM   #48
danegeld
Enthusiast
danegeld is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
that's sad, I believe m-edge has a 60 day return policy, and amazon defenatly has a 30 day return policy

Mine just shipped out today. hopefully I have better luck
I hope you do too. I'm not going to return the cover, since I may need it at some point. I may try doing a little surgery on it to remove the tab and the pen holder. That would fix the my two major annoyances with it. I really should mention that it's a nice-looking cover. It just needed to be designed a little better.
danegeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:37 PM   #49
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

amazon does tend to cross ship defectives too, if you think that it could just be the one you got, get on the horn with them and they will ship you a new one, and then you just put the old one in a box and send it back.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:18 PM   #50
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
I received my beautiful fuschia cover today and like it very much.

Both the elastic bands and the lower leather corners are all different sizes, but I believe that is more ergonomics than a defect. The upper right hand corner strap does need to be larger to hold in the reader and to avoid the bumps on the stylus and the upper left hand corner strap is smaller to eliminate bulk. The lower left hand corner is larger to take the weight of the reader while you are holding it open and the lower right hand corner is smaller to avoid the volume toggle.

As for the interior cover, it is a gray suede-like material that I suppose could get dirty, but I really like the feel of it and don't think it will be a problem. It is also soft which I think will help protect the screen from scratches.

The inside pockets are nice and I haven't noticed any problems with having a memory stick in one of the slots. It actually makes a great place to keep it other than always having it in the reader.

I like the added weight of the reader with the leather cover, it gives it more of a book feel and is a little easier on my hand than the reader by itself or even in the original jacket. All-in-all I am very pleased with my purchase and would recommend it.

Kaz
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2009, 09:34 PM   #51
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue!), PRS-650 (Black), iPad, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
I received my beautiful fuschia cover today and like it very much.

Both the elastic bands and the lower leather corners are all different sizes, but I believe that is more ergonomics than a defect. The upper right hand corner strap does need to be larger to hold in the reader and to avoid the bumps on the stylus and the upper left hand corner strap is smaller to eliminate bulk. The lower left hand corner is larger to take the weight of the reader while you are holding it open and the lower right hand corner is smaller to avoid the volume toggle.

As for the interior cover, it is a gray suede-like material that I suppose could get dirty, but I really like the feel of it and don't think it will be a problem. It is also soft which I think will help protect the screen from scratches.

The inside pockets are nice and I haven't noticed any problems with having a memory stick in one of the slots. It actually makes a great place to keep it other than always having it in the reader.

I like the added weight of the reader with the leather cover, it gives it more of a book feel and is a little easier on my hand than the reader by itself or even in the original jacket. All-in-all I am very pleased with my purchase and would recommend it.

Kaz
Ah, great! I sure hope mine shows up soon! It's "in transit"...

Enjoy!
Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:56 PM   #52
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue!), PRS-650 (Black), iPad, iPod Touch
Whee! Amazon says my new cover is delivered! I must wait until I get home to see it. I'll let you guys know what I think.

Sayhello

Last edited by sayhello; 05-14-2009 at 02:19 PM.
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:15 AM   #53
Andybaby
Wizard

GRRR
Date Time Location Event Details
May 14, 2009 10:31:00 PM --- Arrival Scan
May 12, 2009 10:13:16 PM Whitestown IN US Shipment has left seller facility and is in transit

No location on the arrival scan! maybe I will be lucky and get it tomorrow or saturday
Old 05-15-2009, 01:43 AM   #54
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Patience. In a couple of days after you've received the M-Edge, this "saga" will be forgotten.
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:54 AM   #55
narbeauchamp
Groupie
narbeauchamp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS700BC/PRS505/TZ350N/MacBook/Aspire One/iPad/iPhone/BB 9630
Quote:
Originally Posted by danegeld View Post

That doesn't sound so good-maybe trying for a replacement is in order.Be aware that the OEM replacement is about $104 !!!! (and its not even leather).Piel Frama just released this week covers for the PRS700 (and the Kindle 2 as well)- I still haven't decided which of the two to go for...I'm waiting to read more of what people think about the experiences with the M-Edge covers (incidentally,I was in the subway here in Manhattan the other day...and M-Edge had half of the available advertising for its Kindle 2 covers....)
narbeauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:56 AM   #56
narbeauchamp
Groupie
narbeauchamp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS700BC/PRS505/TZ350N/MacBook/Aspire One/iPad/iPhone/BB 9630
Quote:
Originally Posted by thibaulthalpern View Post
Interesting. Did you leave the reader in the case most of the time or did you remove the reader from the case often?

If the clips eventually break even if the user doesn't remove the reader frequently, then that's not good. I never remove my reader since there is no reason to do so.
My reader was always in the case,until it fell...and I was no longer able to clip it back in properly-the top clip had that "white mark" as if it is/was just about to break.And actually I could see the same thing was going to happen eventually with my 505,and I never removed it from its case either..until it broke....
narbeauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:52 PM   #57
Andybaby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by thibaulthalpern View Post
Patience. In a couple of days after you've received the M-Edge, this "saga" will be forgotten.
5 month saga in the making! it would make an awesome short story (yeah right)
Old 05-15-2009, 07:08 PM   #58
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
GRRR
Date Time Location Event Details
May 14, 2009 10:31:00 PM --- Arrival Scan
May 12, 2009 10:13:16 PM Whitestown IN US Shipment has left seller facility and is in transit

No location on the arrival scan! maybe I will be lucky and get it tomorrow or saturday
Mine, said almost the same thing, only a little earlier. The "estimated" date of delivery is the 19th. They must be walking it over to me.
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:07 PM   #59
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
It was worth it to me to pay the extra $5 for 2 day shipping. I have very little patience when I am waiting for something I ordered on-line.

I LOVE my new cover! Thanks for the heads-up, way back when, AndyBaby!

Kaz
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:46 PM   #60
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
It was worth it to me to pay the extra $5 for 2 day shipping. I have very little patience when I am waiting for something I ordered on-line.
Kaz
I hope I didn't sound like I was complaining. I'm really looking forward to its arrival! But after 7 years of living in a barn under construction (and still far from done*) I think I have the patience to wait those extra days!

*I am just now getting a floor built downstairs (main level). It's been mostly dirt and cracked, uneven concrete, all this time. We live on the 2nd level with plywood floors and unfinished drywall. It's been an adventure and an exercise in patience!
Maybe that's why I like MobileRead so much, it's a wonderful escape from reality, (from one psock to panother!! )
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote