Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-18-2012, 07:32 PM   #1
rtshores
rtshores will become famous soon enoughrtshores will become famous soon enoughrtshores will become famous soon enoughrtshores will become famous soon enoughrtshores will become famous soon enoughrtshores will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook
Calibre won't open and weird error message!

Tried to open Calibre and rec'd message below:

Error
Python function terminated unexpectedly
'WindowsExcFile' object has no attribute '_handle' (Error Code: 1)

I downloaded a new version and I get the same message. I have close to 5000 books I can no longer access...

rtshores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtshores View Post
Tried to open Calibre and rec'd message below:

Error
Python function terminated unexpectedly
'WindowsExcFile' object has no attribute '_handle' (Error Code: 1)

I downloaded a new version and I get the same message. I have close to 5000 books I can no longer access...

Whatever you do, do NOT mess around with your existing Library folder. Kovid or somebody can help get calibre running again.

What Operating system and Service pack?
Did you install any OTHER updates or new programs before this started?
Was there a abnormal shutdown (blue screen, you had to force a power off...)?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
rtshores
rtshores will become famous soon enoughrtshores will become famous soon enoughrtshores will become famous soon enoughrtshores will become famous soon enoughrtshores will become famous soon enoughrtshores will become famous soon enough

Thank you... okay -
-Windows XP and don't know about a service pack, sorry.
-No updates until after I saw the error message and figured mine was out of date.
-I have had to force power off recently, but don't recall why and Calibre wasn't open then.

Thank you so much for your time and wish me luck. I feel like part of me died! argh
Love your cat!
Rosie
Old 07-18-2012, 10:08 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180741
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:36 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtshores View Post
Thank you... okay -
-Windows XP and don't know about a service pack, sorry.
-No updates until after I saw the error message and figured mine was out of date.
-I have had to force power off recently, but don't recall why and Calibre wasn't open then.

Thank you so much for your time and wish me luck. I feel like part of me died! argh
Love your cat!
Rosie
1) No Wacom Graphics Tablet/mouse plugged in? Right?

If the full uninstall cycle as suggested by PeterT does not cure it.
Shut down Calibre (including the content server if started)
find the Configuration folder (usually hidden)
Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\<your logon name here>\Application Data\calibre
(No < > )
Delete the folder or rename it to something else: calibreSAV
(you WILL lose some customizations, scheduled news and any plugins)

Now start Calibre: The Welcome wizard will ask for your Library location

If you forgot where it was: use Windows Search to find the folder with Metadata.db (and a lot of authors folders) in it. That is the folder to point to.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:01 AM   #6
rtshores

It suddenly started working again! I guess praying does help! ;-)

Thank you for your time and advice.

Rosie

Tags
error, python, windowsexcfile