Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-31-2006, 02:43 AM   #166
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
#4 is delete FROM the device without connecting to a computer. While on vacation and just in general this lets me "thin" my list as I go along ESPECIALLY for dynamic content like web scrapings etc.. this is LESS critical if they enable #1 since I can then organize so no list is "huge" or others called it "flat"

#5 I said PDB B as in BRAVO not F as in foxtrot. PDB is a PALM reader format (close to txt I believe) its convenient and easy and I have 9000 ebooks in this format already and have yet to find a convenient mass conversion too to make them txt :-)

Chris Taylor
http://www.nerys.com/
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 01:35 PM   #167
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys
How do you rename a PDF so it has a TITLE in the list ?
PDF titles are derived from the Properties meta tags in the PDF. These can be set by the full version of Adobe Acrobat and some other PDF editing software. A few (I don't know which ones off hand) will carry forward the tags from the document that they are converting into the PDF.

Quote:
PDB support would be nice (I have zillions of PDB's)
I have used the free utility ABC Amber Palm Converter with great success. I only had a half zillion PDB files to convert. When used along with Stingo's RTF formatting macro the output is great.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2006, 11:24 PM   #168
nerys
Addict

Cool this abc allows batch conversion ? (I can sick it on a folder ?) and where do I get this stingo's macro if its not included in the download ? (going out to dinner will try this tommorrow :-)

thanks !
Chris Taylor
Old 01-01-2007, 12:00 AM   #169
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

nerys: Here is the link to the thread (here in mobileread) with the formatting macro for MS Word.

I suggest that you read through through the entire thread as the macro evolved a bit and there are several options available for what you may want to include or exclude from youyr version. I set mine up to format files the way I like to read them. Others have their own (flawed) version of how they like to see the files.

As for the ABC Amber Converter, the install program puts it in the "Program Files" subdirectory and you can then execute it from there. I set up a special subdirectory for the PDA -> RTF converted files and then ran the macro on each file. Some of the original PDA files I had contained several runs of hard paragraph marks that required special attention.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:24 AM   #170
nerys
Addict

hmmm I don't want to use RTF or involve word (gonna go read that thread anyway though). Can I use this to convert to TXT ? (I guess I will find out as I am going to try it in the next hour or so :-) I don't have MS word and no real desire to install it :-)

I don't care much about formatting as long as indentations and paragraphs are like there supposed to be and I can make the text tiny I am happy :-)

Chris Taylor
Advert
Old 01-01-2007, 02:57 AM   #171
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I don't care much about formatting as long as indentations and paragraphs are like there supposed to be and I can make the text tiny I am happy :-)

Chris Taylor
You want to make the text tiny, Chris? The reason many of us are using RTF is precisely because Reader's default font size for text files we find too small, and RTF allows us to increase the font size .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 03:21 AM   #172
nerys
Addict

well I got pretty good eyes and I find even it smallest size a hair too big - I would rather have more lines and words (HATE the wide margins) so I would not have to change pages so often :-) right now I have to change pages as often as 25 seconds or so. would like to stretch that out a bit. (few page turns longer battery life and less wear and tear on the buttons as a bonus)

Plus txt is universal and can be "made" into literally anything else down the road and is super duper simple and guarenteed to work with anything :-)

The smaller txt size is a bonus for me :-)

Chris Taylor
Old 01-01-2007, 09:09 AM   #173
RWood
Technogeezer

To each their own. I wear "progressive lens: (a fancy marketing term for multi-focus tri-focals) so well formed type of a decent size is a must.

The macro should be adaptable to OpenOffice or other word processors. One of the main advantages it offers is the joining of lines in a paragraph that otherwise would produce a series of one regular line and one short line. Adding indents at the start of each paragraph is as simple as changing all "^p" to "^p^t" in the file.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:35 PM   #174
kcarscadden
Zealot
kcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavens

Device: iPad Air 5, Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
another update?

Unfortunately, this topic is too long to go through to see if someone else has already suggested this.

It is possible while reading a book to hit menu, menu, menu, 7, page right, menu, menu, 1 to skip to the next audio track. However, the screen updates on each menu press.

It would be nice if the software could look ahead in the buffer and not refresh the screen until the end of input.

Keith
kcarscadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 03:06 PM   #175
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I think that's a new one, kcarscadden. Welcome to MobileRead, BTW.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 03:46 PM   #176
Aerlock
Aerlock began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarscadden
Unfortunately, this topic is too long to go through to see if someone else has already suggested this.

It is possible while reading a book to hit menu, menu, menu, 7, page right, menu, menu, 1 to skip to the next audio track. However, the screen updates on each menu press.

It would be nice if the software could look ahead in the buffer and not refresh the screen until the end of input.

Keith
I second this. Especially when dealing with large files. I have a 40-50 MB .pdf file I'm trying to manipulate into readability on the reader and every time I browse through it if I want to check out a page of actual info instead of the TOC, cover, etc. I have to hit next page 8 times or so before I see actual info and having to wait for it to work its way through processing each page is a PITA.

I don't know if this has been mentioned but I'd certainly like the SD slot on the reader to show up in windows explorer so I could drag and drop to it and use the reader as a memory card reader when its plugged into the computer.
Aerlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 03:52 PM   #177
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
If you hold down the "next page" button for 5 seconds it'll jump ahead 10 pages -- I'm pretty sure that works in PDFs as well -- then you'd only need to back up 2 pages to get to page 8, instead of going forward 8 pages.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 04:16 PM   #178
Aerlock
Aerlock began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
If you hold down the "next page" button for 5 seconds it'll jump ahead 10 pages -- I'm pretty sure that works in PDFs as well -- then you'd only need to back up 2 pages to get to page 8, instead of going forward 8 pages.
Neat! I did not know that. I learned something today! Yay!
Aerlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:18 AM   #179
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hi all,

As a new Sony Reader owner I was happy to find this web site. Happy to hear I'm not the only one that can't read PDF's well on my reader.

Anyway, I just wanted to comment on a few of the suggestions that were made for the reader software updates. As a developer (not on the Sony reader) perhaps I can provide some insite into a few issues.

First, the clock. Without commenting on the merit of the idea it probably isn't technically possible for a firmware update to implement a clock. The hardware would already have to include a clock chip. I doubt it does, so I would expect you won't see a clock on the current hardware.

Second, on the text input/search issues. While it could probably/possibly be done, it will be very slow. My understanding with the eInk display is that you can not do inplace screen updates. Every time something on the screen changes the entire display must be updated. This is why arrowing from link to link or through the menus is so slow. So, a virtual keyboard with an indicator to move from letter to letter would be very slow.

I do like many of the other suggestions made.

What I would suggest is that a Wiki topic is created so a nice formated list of suggestions could be created and people could add to the list as needed. This is much easier than readding hundreds of messages to see if you are going to repeat a suggestion.

BOb

EDIT: Opps... I see that this already exists:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Sony_Reader_Wishlist

Last edited by pilotbob; 01-23-2007 at 12:00 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:29 AM   #180
JRAWKER
Connoisseur
JRAWKER began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Digital Paper
SUPPORT FOR AUDIBLE (.aa) files!

JRAWKER is offline   Reply With Quote