Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 09-11-2009, 03:51 PM   #1
Sylas
Sylas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sylas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sylas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sylas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Hopefully a PRS 505
Greetings from South Africa!

Hello all. I am a student currently residing in Cape Town, South Africa. As of this moment, I am e-readerless but I hope to change that in the near future. I've been watching the MobileRead forums from afar for the past few months and I must say what a wonderful community you have here; a community I hope to join and contribute to in any way I can
Sylas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:19 PM   #2
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Hello Sylas! It's nice to meet you.

We're playing you guys at cricket soon; and our football team have qualified for the World Cup in South Africa next year - so we're going to be seeing a lot of your country in the next few months.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2009, 06:57 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Sylas and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:28 PM   #4
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Hi Sylas! Welcome to MobilRead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylas View Post
Hello all. I am a student currently residing in Cape Town, South Africa. As of this moment, I am e-readerless but I hope to change that in the near future.
Which reader are you planning to buy?

Quote:
I've been watching the MobileRead forums from afar
Is that close to Cape Town?

Quote:
I hope to join and contribute to in any way I can
What sort of books do you enjoy reading? Can you suggest a favorite author for us?

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:15 AM   #5
Sylas
Sylas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sylas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sylas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sylas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Which reader are you planning to buy?
I'm looking at the Sony PRS-505. It seems to be the most well-received reader at the moment and I generally tend to go with public opinion

Quote:
Is that close to Cape Town?

Quote:
What sort of books do you enjoy reading? Can you suggest a favorite author for us?
Honestly, I doubt even at gunpoint I could choose a favourite literary genre let a loan a favourite author; my tastes are that varied
When it comes to fiction, my favourite books so far have been:

Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by JRR Tolkien
The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

I also enjoy non-fiction such as Malcolm Gladwell and Bill Bryson.
I suppose you could say I like great, intelligent writing as opposed to one particular "type" of book. I hope I've answered your questions to your satisfaction

Last edited by Sylas; 09-12-2009 at 03:19 AM.
Advert
Old 09-12-2009, 03:17 AM   #6
Sylas

EDIT: Double-post
Old 09-12-2009, 05:14 AM   #7
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
The Sony 505 is a good choice! I have been nothing but pleased with mine, using it withing its boundaries, of course. The .pdf files I read are pure text without graphics so they are no problem. Once in a while I notice that it hangs for a minute or two when the battery meter is changing. Other than that, as long as you get a silver one you should be a happy camper!

I use mine for 2-3 hours minimum every day, recharge it about once every two weeks, keep it well fed with books (right now I have 182 inside the beast,) and protect it inside the outer pocket of my shoulder bag with a double layer of foam (neoprene and sorbothane) in a drop-in case. Convenient, easy to take out and put away quickly, and well protected from knocks and falls.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:31 PM   #8
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Welcome to MobileRead, Sylas!

I love my Sony 700 and am looking forward to receiving my 600 (if they ever get caught up with their shipments ). The 505 is an excellent choice as well if you are not particularly interested in a touchscreen. Good Luck.

Happy Reading!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:54 PM   #9
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Welcome! I own a 505 and wouldn't own a different device. It's only rival when it comes to screen clarity is the 300, which doesn't have expandable memory (and IMO has too small a screen).
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:05 PM   #10
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Welcome Sylas! I think you'll be pleased if you get a 505 - it's a great device!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote