Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: How often has your T1 crashed/frozen? (after using it at least 3 days)
Once 38 23.60%
2-3 times 26 16.15%
More than 3 times 35 21.74%
Never 62 38.51%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2011, 05:57 AM   #121
mikedemunck
mikedemunck began at the beginning.

Device: Sone PRS-T1
I have the same pageflipping/unresponsive touchscreen issue. Happened twice to me in two days. Bol.com (netherlands) and sony both told me to return the reader and get a replacement, but this can hardly be a hardware issue.
mikedemunck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:47 AM   #122
pe1dnn
Enthusiast
pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
That could explain why I haven't got the freeze issue: I read in English, witch is not my native language. I use the dictionary a lot.
I also thought I was one of the lucky without this problem. But his morning it happened to me too. In other words, it's just a matter of time and maybe some exhibit the problem more frequently than others. Or is your firmware version other than 1.0.00.09010?
pe1dnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2011, 09:17 AM   #123
dedgod
Enthusiast
dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kindle PW2
I had the page flipping occur within 5-10 minutes of waking it up. I have not loaded any DRM books yet. The reader seems to need a reset every few days. I typically don't read more than 30 minutes between sleep/wake cycles. I have only read epubs and they are almost completely text.

It is possible that Sony needs to include anti-bounce code in the software that detects page swipes (i.e. if the IR detects that a finger has bounced out of the IR beam momentarily during a swipe, that it is not interpreted as additional command.) If a "bounce" occurred at the bottom of the page, it would see a "page turn" and "open the page navigation dialog" commands. If it occurred elsewhere it would see a "page turn" and "dictionary" command, which is exactly how my reader was acting once when it needed a reset.
dedgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:31 PM   #124
TAG_Keri
TAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: sony PRS-T1, Prs350, Kindle3Gwifi, MiGear
I had the page flipping trouble with my T1 using epub. All the books are 400k+. I decided to wait for a firmware/software update. Yesterday I loaded a .txt format (+500k)and no trouble at all. I tried all ways to crash it and couldn't, fast forward/back with swipe.
Loaded an .epub and, crashed after 20 minutes.
Reset and loaded the .txt. Still OK. I can't figure it out.
I only use swipe, never the buttons.
Edit... The epubs are non DRM

Last edited by TAG_Keri; 10-25-2011 at 09:31 AM.
TAG_Keri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:40 AM   #125
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
S/W glitch/bug after all.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2011, 05:55 AM   #126
Insalata
Zealot
Insalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Sage, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
That could explain why I haven't got the freeze issue: I read in English, witch is not my native language. I use the dictionary a lot.
I've been reading in French (English is my native language) so I've been using the dictionary a lot too, and not seen any manic page-flipping.

I did have a quirk today when trying to use the dictionary for a word at the end of a paragraph. Instead of just the word I touched, the selection included the first word of the following paragraph as well. When I tried to move the end of the selection, I was thrown out of the book to the home screen, and when I re-opened the book, it opened at the page I was on at the start of that reading session, a chapter or two earlier.

That happened a couple of times, so I gave up and looked the word up in the dictionary on my phone. It happened again later with another word that was at the end of the paragraph.

Selecting across the end of the paragraph could conceivably be a problem with the document (a de-DRM-ed ePub) but dropping out of the book and not remembering the pages read during the current session seems like a bug.
Insalata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:56 AM   #127
Insalata
Zealot
Insalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Sage, iPad
Now the page flipping has started too. At this point paper is beginning to regain its appeal.
Insalata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:38 PM   #128
zossi
zossi can do the Funky Gibbon.zossi can do the Funky Gibbon.zossi can do the Funky Gibbon.zossi can do the Funky Gibbon.zossi can do the Funky Gibbon.zossi can do the Funky Gibbon.zossi can do the Funky Gibbon.zossi can do the Funky Gibbon.zossi can do the Funky Gibbon.zossi can do the Funky Gibbon.zossi can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Sony T1
3 weeks in and no crash yet. one big pdf (40mb) did freeze briefly, but i took someone's suggestion here and waited a minute, let the reader do its thing, came back and all was well. also, my swipe/button use ratio is around 80/20.
zossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:10 AM   #129
Skip_intro
Culture Eccentric
Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T1 Red
No problems for me. Have 70+ books, no sd card. All books loaded from Calibre.

Used it several times a day, every day for a week, for mostly long sessions. Have jumped between several books and converted .cbz files.

I use the buttons to page flip, but my youngest daughter uses her finger to swipe.
Skip_intro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:03 AM   #130
malifact
malifact can extract oil from cheesemalifact can extract oil from cheesemalifact can extract oil from cheesemalifact can extract oil from cheesemalifact can extract oil from cheesemalifact can extract oil from cheesemalifact can extract oil from cheesemalifact can extract oil from cheese

Device: None
Since the T1 software is a modified version of Android, is it possible the online community will be able to come up with new firmware to fix these problems? Or is that not likely? I don't have a lot of confidence that Sony will resolve these issues with an update, especially if they are denying there is an issue.
malifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:28 AM   #131
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by malifact View Post
especially if they are denying there is an issue.
Are they ?

They best the peaple affected can do now, is send mail to sony with as much info as they can give. See if they can figure out some kind of pattern (problem happens more often if this or that), actually reproduce the bug at will.
First, it will say sony "Hey, there IS a problem, this is important."
Second point, the more info sony have, the more likely they will be able to fix the bug. Figuring out what's happening goes a long way into fixing this kind of bugs.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:11 AM   #132
Shirley84
Shirley84 began at the beginning.

Device: T1
Got to this topic when i was trouble shooting for my completely frozen up T1.

My device has locked itself multiple times, in the main menu and also while reading book.

Last edited by Shirley84; 10-27-2011 at 05:21 AM. Reason: typo
Shirley84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:37 AM   #133
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirley84 View Post
Got to this topic when i was trouble shooting for my completely frozen up T1.

My device has locked itself multiple times, in the main menu and also while reading book.
What do you mean by "locked" ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:38 AM   #134
Gilmartin
Zealot
Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PW2
I'm glad I read this thread. I've been trying to decide between the Kobo Touch and this Sony model- looks like I'll be buying the Kobo now.
I don't mean to sound negative but I bought one of the first Sony TV's to incorporate a digital/freeview tuner. This was about 10 years ago when digital tv became available in my area. I had no end of trouble with it- the main fault being that the tuner kept on losing channels and had to be manually re-tuned 2 or 3 times a month. Sony kept on promising a firmware fix for this. After 18 months and no fix that actually worked I sold the tv and bought a Panasonic, which was trouble free. So I wouldn't hang out waiting for a solution to come from Sony any time soon
Apart from that they have as yet to open their UK store, I believe it has now gone back from October to Dec.
Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:00 AM   #135
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmartin View Post
I'm glad I read this thread. I've been trying to decide between the Kobo Touch and this Sony model- looks like I'll be buying the Kobo now.
I don't mean to sound negative but I bought one of the first Sony TV's to incorporate a digital/freeview tuner. This was about 10 years ago when digital tv became available in my area. I had no end of trouble with it- the main fault being that the tuner kept on losing channels and had to be manually re-tuned 2 or 3 times a month. Sony kept on promising a firmware fix for this. After 18 months and no fix that actually worked I sold the tv and bought a Panasonic, which was trouble free. So I wouldn't hang out waiting for a solution to come from Sony any time soon
Apart from that they have as yet to open their UK store, I believe it has now gone back from October to Dec.
Quite an overreaction in my opinion. Keep in mind 43% experienced no issues (me included), and most of these "problems" posts seem to be started by people who don't own one....which in turn makes the true issue seem inflated and much problematic than it probably is. Personally I think these complaints are making a mountain out of a molehill in the majority of cases...maybe I'm crazy but ill take a quick force close or reset that will likely be fixed and have library access via device, downloading from various sources straight from device and yada yada over a more stable (which the kobo isn't by the way) but less featured device.

And i don't consider paying twice the amount of money for a more stable reader "the good old days" either.
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote