Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Offline > BBeB/LRF Books (offline)

Notices

Old 05-26-2007, 12:14 AM   #1
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Hersey, Harold: The Dead Book. v1. 25 May 07

Here is a cool little short story by Harold Hersey. First published in the pulp mag "The Thrill Book," on July 15, 1919.

A 300 year-old monastery houses an even older hand-painted Bible rumored to have been delivered there by the Portuguese explorer Magellan in the 1500's.

The book is kept chained to a table. Oddly enough though, it's not locked up to prevent theft. Hmmm, now why would it be chained to a table, in a locked room? Read and find out. It's only about 20 pages (if on small print setting), so it's a quick little read. I really love these short stories because you can start and finish them in one sitting. Great for a lunch break at work or while waiting for someone.

Enjoy!

--P.S.--Ok, something about this story has bugged me and after re-reading it, I still can't quite figure it out. It stops rather abruptly. It's a good read up until that moment. One mystery is solved, another sorta opens up. I can't find any other sources of the text, so not sure if it's a sign of the pulp writing itself or the source. I'll keep up my searching and follow-up if I figure out anything.

Last edited by tsgreer; 05-26-2007 at 10:41 AM.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote