Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #1
Suntro
Suntro began at the beginning.

Device: none
Nexus 7 or Kobo Arc?

Hi guys I'm looking to buy a tablet. I'm an illustrator so I plan on using the tablet as a portable portfolio with my digital works on it - also I'd be using it for reading PDF files. Based on the specs both the Kobo Arc and the Nexus 7 seem almost matched.

The biggest difference is the price. Kobo Arc is going to sell for $200 for 16g while the Nexus 7 is $250 for 16g. Is it worth waiting for the cheaper Arc?
Suntro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #2
ZBoater
Gadgeteer Extraordinaire
ZBoater began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite, Nexus 7, iPad 3
The biggest difference is the Nexus has Jelly Bean. They've made noticeable improvements to make the OS seem smoother. If it were me I'd spent the extra $50 and have a Google reference device which will likely get the latest Android updates sooner.

Last edited by ZBoater; 10-07-2012 at 01:04 PM.
ZBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #3
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
However you could get 32 gb version for the same price as the Nexus and the Arc has up to 64 gb storage for $299 and will be updated to Jellybean as well...And will also have out of the box access to the Play Store contrary to the Kindle and Nook tablets...
http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...-video-review/

Quote:
In case you missed it, the Kobo Arc is a 7″ tablet with similar specs to the new Kindle Fire HD. It has a high resolution 1280 x 800 IPS screen, a 1.5GHz OMAP 4470 dual-core processor, 1GB of RAM, a front-facing 1.3MP camera, dual front-facing speakers, and it delivers 10 hours of battery life.

The main thing that separates the Kobo Arc from the Kindle Fire is the software. The Arc runs open Android 4.0, and the Kindle uses a closed-in custom version of Android 4.0. The Kobo supports Google apps and even comes with access to Google’s appstore, which has over 600,000 apps. The Kindle Fire on the other hand has to be hacked to get access to Google Play.

The Kobo Arc is expected to be released in mid-November. More information about the device can be found on Kobo’s website.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
However you could get 32 gb version for the same price as the Nexus and the Arc has up to 64 gb storage for $299 and will be updated to Jellybean as well...And will also have out of the box access to the Play Store contrary to the Kindle and Nook tablets...
http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...-video-review/

Quote:
In case you missed it, the Kobo Arc is a 7″ tablet with similar specs to the new Kindle Fire HD. It has a high resolution 1280 x 800 IPS screen, a 1.5GHz OMAP 4470 dual-core processor, 1GB of RAM, a front-facing 1.3MP camera, dual front-facing speakers, and it delivers 10 hours of battery life.

The main thing that separates the Kobo Arc from the Kindle Fire is the software. The Arc runs open Android 4.0, and the Kindle uses a closed-in custom version of Android 4.0. The Kobo supports Google apps and even comes with access to Google’s appstore, which has over 600,000 apps. The Kindle Fire on the other hand has to be hacked to get access to Google Play.

The Kobo Arc is expected to be released in mid-November. More information about the device can be found on Kobo’s website.

???

They weren't enquiring about Kindle. Unless I'm blind, the word Kindle was never mentioned in their OP. It was Kobo or Nexus.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #5
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
???

They weren't enquiring about Kindle. Unless I'm blind, the word Kindle was never mentioned in their OP. It was Kobo or Nexus.
32 gb Arc vs 16 gb Nexus at the same price. With similar hardware.... Most would agree that that is a better deal?
Advert
Old 10-08-2012, 07:38 AM   #6
ZBoater
Gadgeteer Extraordinaire

Not really. I'd give up 16GB storage to get Jelly Bean and a Google reference device. Depends on your priorities.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:23 AM   #7
Cdesja5
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBoater View Post
Not really. I'd give up 16GB storage to get Jelly Bean and a Google reference device. Depends on your priorities.
It will come with ICS and like the Nexus, Jelly Bean will be added in a few months according to Kobo support.

http://www.kobo.com/koboarc/support/

But yes, it does depend on one's tastes and priorities...
Old 10-08-2012, 09:05 AM   #8
ZBoater
Gadgeteer Extraordinaire

My observation with non Google devices is that they take a lot longer to get updates. Even the Google devices take a while. There is also a lot more focus from developers doing custom roms and such. Again, if that is not important to some, then the extra 16GB is a better deal.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #9
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntro View Post
Hi guys I'm looking to buy a tablet. I'm an illustrator so I plan on using the tablet as a portable portfolio with my digital works on it - also I'd be using it for reading PDF files. Based on the specs both the Kobo Arc and the Nexus 7 seem almost matched.

The biggest difference is the price. Kobo Arc is going to sell for $200 for 16g while the Nexus 7 is $250 for 16g. Is it worth waiting for the cheaper Arc?
They are both good devices and I think whatever you choose will prove a good experience.

However there are more differences. The Nexus has a quad core processor, the latest OS 4.1, NFC, and is a Nexus which Google supports directly.
The performance on the Nexus 7 will be better than the Kobo.

The Kobo has a dual core, the UI will differer to that of maximizing the reading experience.

If you are just reading you will not notice much of a difference in performance but will enjoy the customized UI better. One note you will probably notice better performance on the Nexus when reading scanned PDF.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 10-09-2012 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Corrected information pointed out by cdsja5
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #10
Cdesja5
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
They are both good devices and I think whatever you choose will prove a good experience.

However there are more differences. The Nexus has a quad core processor, the latest OS 4.1, NFC, and is a Nexus which Google supports directly.
The performance on the Nexus 7 will be better than the Kobo.

The Kobo has a dual core and expandable memory. The UI will differer to that of maximizing the reading experience.

If you are just reading you will not notice much of a difference in performance but will enjoy the customized UI better. One note you will probably notice better performance on the Nexus when reading scanned PDF.

=X=
The Arc does not have expandable memory but is going to be available in 3 storage options: 16, 32 and 64 gb (Kobo announced they were doubling the base size from 8 to 16 gb recently while keeping the price at $200)
Engadget's review (apart from not giving the revised storage details) gives more info about the Arc's screen etc.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/19/k...ands-on-video/

Last edited by Cdesja5; 10-09-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:31 AM   #11
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
There Arc does not have expandable memory but is going to be available in 3 storage options: 16, 32 and 64 gb (Kobo announced they were doubling the base size from 8 to 16 gb recently while keeping the price at $200)
Engadget's review (apart from not giving the revised storage details) gives more info about the Arc's screen etc.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/19/k...ands-on-video/
Yes you're correct. I was sure I read somewhere that it had expandable memory. Now I'm liking the Arc even less and liking the Nexus 7 even more
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:01 AM   #12
Cdesja5
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Yes you're correct. I was sure I read somewhere that it had expandable memory. Now I'm liking the Arc even less and liking the Nexus 7 even more
Why? You get more memory for the same price. 16 gb for $199, 32 gb for $249 and 64 gb for $299. The Nexus offers only 16 gb for $249 and doesn't have a USB slot either....
Old 10-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #13
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I've been debating this too. My wife figured I'd want a tablet for my birthday but I can't decide between the upcoming arc or the existing nexus 7. My mother-in-law had the disaster we know as the vox and I'm worried the arc could go the same way. That being said, the nexus 7 is $50 more for the same capacity (and Jelly Bean instead of ICS) and from what I can see the specs are pretty close. On top of that previews on endgadget and other sites seem to lean in a very positive direction for the arc. Any input would be appreciated.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #14
Cdesja5
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RareBird View Post
I've been debating this too. My wife figured I'd want a tablet For my birthday but I can't decide between the upcoming arc or the existing nexus 7. My mother-in-law had the disaster we know as the vox and I'm worried the arc could go the same way. That being said, the nexus 7 is $50 more for the same capacity (and Jelly Bean instead of ICS) and from what I can see the specs are pretty close. On top of that previews on endgadget and other sites seem to lean in a very positive direction for the arc. Any input would be appreciated.
If you're going to be using it for any amount of reading the Arc has the advantage of having the IPS screen that makes it readable in sunlight/bright lighting conditions. Engadget's review counts that as an advantage over most other tablets.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:50 AM   #15
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Engadget's review counts that as an advantage over most other tablets.
The recent Engadget review of the new Kindle was garbage. They didn't seem to be aware of basic facts. All the reviews of the new Kindle seem fantasy now. I would not trust the reviews. Wait till it's out to find out what early adopters think.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote