Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-27-2012, 02:24 AM   #1
GvilleBridge
Connoisseur
GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Tablet
Unhappy Is the Kobo Touch dead?

It's been three months since 2.0 and where's 2.1 or better? The arrival of the three new Kobos makes me wonder if the Kobo Touch and, in fact, the original two models are dying or already dead. Anyone got anything encouraging to say?
GvilleBridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:36 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GvilleBridge View Post
It's been three months since 2.0 and where's 2.1 or better? The arrival of the three new Kobos makes me wonder if the Kobo Touch and, in fact, the original two models are dying or already dead. Anyone got anything encouraging to say?
The Touch is not dead. It is still listed on Kobo site for sale.In fact, I think it fits well between the Mini and Glo in their lineup. Also, Kobo representatives have consistently state it will still be around.

As to where the new firmware is, all I can say is that it is coming. I do know that Kobo are working on it to make sure that we don't have the problems of the last two official releases. And to make sure that some of the useability problems are dealt with.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:10 AM   #3
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The Touch is not dead. It is still listed on Kobo site for sale.In fact, I think it fits well between the Mini and Glo in their lineup. Also, Kobo representatives have consistently state it will still be around.

As to where the new firmware is, all I can say is that it is coming. I do know that Kobo are working on it to make sure that we don't have the problems of the last two official releases. And to make sure that some of the useability problems are dealt with.
When the touch came out the wifi was apparently going to get another firmware update (it didn't) and was shown on the Kobo website along with the Touch and Vox right up until the announcement of the Mini and Glo. I strongly suspect that there will be one more firmware update and that is it - unless of course Kobo have come to their senses are realised they can write one firmware to run effectively on all three devices and keep the touch as a viable product.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:24 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
When the touch came out the wifi was apparently going to get another firmware update (it didn't) and was shown on the Kobo website along with the Touch and Vox right up until the announcement of the Mini and Glo.
Based on that, the Touch will be around until the next models after the Mini and Glo are announced. That makes sense to me.

Quote:
I strongly suspect that there will be one more firmware update and that is it - unless of course Kobo have come to their senses are realised they can write one firmware to run effectively on all three devices and keep the touch as a viable product.
Well, apparently they have come to their senses. They have stated that the Touch, Mini and Glow will share firmware.

I am surprised that they haven't release new firmware. But, as I stated before, they seem to be working to make sure it is right.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:05 AM   #5
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
My guess is that the new Touch firmware will be released in early October when the new devices are.

And then hastily re-released with fixes...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:56 AM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
... And then hastily re-released with fixes...
I agree and disagree. They will do a quick re-release if there are some upgrade problems. Otherwise, be prepared to wait a couple of months if there are other bugs (like the slow page turns on epub in 2.0.0).

Last edited by John F; 09-27-2012 at 10:00 AM.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:04 AM   #7
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Well, apparently they have come to their senses. They have stated that the Touch, Mini and Glow will share firmware.
May I ask, where have they stated that? I saw a small reference from Sameer?? I think it was explaining a similar function between them, but nowhere anyone saying the same firmware.

I mean if that is the case then the Touch is not dead.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:15 AM   #8
syber
syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kobo Touch
I bought a KT the 2nd week of September, and it has 2.1.1 on it.

the info is posted here
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=86
syber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #9
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
They have stated that the Touch, Mini and Glow will share firmware.
Quote:
May I ask, where have they stated that? I saw a small reference from Sameer?? I think it was explaining a similar function between them, but nowhere anyone saying the same firmware.

Sameer says firmware updates will be for the Touch, Glo and mini here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2216859

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 09-27-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:11 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

The post I can find is https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=33. It has also been stated somewhere that I can't point to from here.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #11
guma
Connoisseur
guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
My guess is that the new Touch firmware will be released in early October when the new devices are.

And then hastily re-released with fixes...

... not so sure about the last part ...
guma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:31 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guma View Post
... not so sure about the last part ...
Unfortunately, that has been the case for the last two releases. The 1.9.17 had a problem with lists displayed at the bottom of the screen and they put a new version out in a few hours. The 2.0.0 had an install problem that meant a lot of devices hung during the install. They withdrew it and re-released it after a few days.

So, if there is a serious problem, they will handle it quickly. The problem is that everyone's definitions of "serious" and "problem" is different.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:33 AM   #13
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
Quote:
Unfortunately, that has been the case for the last two releases. The 1.9.17 had a problem with lists displayed at the bottom of the screen and they put a new version out in a few hours.
But unfortunately they did not hastily issue a new version that fixed the non-existing top-margin. That's why did not use 1.9.17 at all but went back to 1.9.16
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:35 AM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
But unfortunately they did not hastily issue a new version that fixed the non-existing top-margin. That's why did not use 1.9.17 at all but went back to 1.9.16
You did see my comment about the meaning of "serious" and "problem" didn't you? The obviously didn't consider it a serious enough issue to provide an emergency fix. Personally, I agree. But, I would have liked to see a point release with little problems like this fixed.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:37 AM   #15
Katel
Evangelist
Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I hope Touch is not dead as I've only had mine for about 3 weeks and I'm very
happy with it. I've ordered a cover, with a light, so I think that will make quite a difference to the pages which I find too dim. The Glo looks great but I hope I can get at least 12 months out of the Touch.
Katel is offline   Reply With Quote