Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-16-2010, 09:02 PM   #1
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
My observations - K2 vs. KDX graphite...(pics)

Well, I got the KDX graphite and have had the K2 for a while. My first impressions after getting the KDXg right after launch were that it was very clear and had great contrast. Now that I've used it for over a week, I'm not so sure it's vastly superior to the K2's screen. I can read for hours on either with no discomfort.

I'm wondering if I should just return the KDXg while I have time. Plus, I travel on airplanes weekly, so the K2 is a much better option. It doesn't hurt that I only paid $149 for the K2 (refurb).

Buyers remorse or is it really not that different?

coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:40 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I think it may be buyer's remorse. I made the change from a K2 to the KDX and never looked back. Now, if I traveled as much as you do I would stick with the K2... but then again those are my 2 cents. the portability of the k2, I think, outweigh the larger,sharper screen...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2010, 10:42 PM   #3
makani
Enthusiast
makani began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS-505
What makes the dxg look so good to me is the size of the screen, more book less page turning. How is it ergonomicly comared to the k2, taking into consideration the weight?
Does it make sense to keep both and use the dxg at home and the k2 on the road?
makani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:35 PM   #4
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
As I travel extensively around the world, I typically carry the K2. When at home, however, I much prefer reading on the DXG. Another well-traveled colleague has the original DX and takes it everywhere.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:44 AM   #5
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
From your pictures the background on the KDX looks lighter. That could be an illusion.

I just did an extremely rough edit where I colored both frames white and it clearly shows the KDX is lighter. If somebody could cut a small square out of the center of each in the third picture and place them side-by-side I think we'd have a good comparison (of your 2 kindles, anyway, quality seems to vary more than I'd like).

Last edited by SamuraiXSendai; 07-17-2010 at 05:56 AM.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2010, 10:33 AM   #6
laurie_lu
Connoisseur
laurie_lu doesn't litterlaurie_lu doesn't litterlaurie_lu doesn't litter

Device: none
I think the background on the KDX graphite has a cool toned background. The background on the K2 has a warm toned background. I think they're both equal in brightness, but just different color tones.
laurie_lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:09 PM   #7
PaulGuy
Zealot
PaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enough

Device: GDX, K2i, K3 3G, nook wi-fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
Well, I got the KDX graphite and have had the K2 for a while. My first impressions after getting the KDXg right after launch were that it was very clear and had great contrast. Now that I've used it for over a week, I'm not so sure it's vastly superior to the K2's screen. I can read for hours on either with no discomfort.

I'm wondering if I should just return the KDXg while I have time. Plus, I travel on airplanes weekly, so the K2 is a much better option. It doesn't hurt that I only paid $149 for the K2 (refurb).

Buyers remorse or is it really not that different?
My opinion is the new screen is much better. But I've always valued screen contrast above all other considerations. While the Kindle for me was always the best eReader due to a variety of factors I always wished the screen contrast could be better, more like my PRS-505. The GDX is wonderful and I for one can't wait for a 6" Kindle sporting this screen. As for portability, the K2 is better at that. That's why I have both, and the ability to sync the two is one of those factors I hinted at above.
PaulGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:07 PM   #8
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
The DX there looks like the contrast is sharper, but the only important opinion is yours. If you really don't see an upgrade and you prefer your k2, just send it back. Save your money til the next release.

I just think you should love it, and if you don't, then you should return it.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:13 PM   #9
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Coolbreese,

Thanks for the observations, and especially the pictures.

By the way, I see you're a Stieg Larsson fan.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:40 PM   #10
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
good sir what case is that. looks darn nice.
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:17 PM   #11
Osiyo
Osiyo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by oncdoc View Post
good sir what case is that. looks darn nice.
I concur...which case is that? Is it good?
Osiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:42 PM   #12
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
I recognize it. It's a Timbuk2. I agree very nice, and they do make great messenger bags, so I bet it's well made.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:46 AM   #13
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
This is the case:

http://www.amazon.com/Timbuk2-Kindle...9435555&sr=8-5

Not sure what I'm going to do yet. Will be in Vegas next week for work - will carry the KDXg to see how it goes...
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:08 AM   #14
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
If you like the portability and are happy with the K2, I would return the DX. Rumors are rampant about a K3 in August which we can probably safely assume will have the new e-ink screen along with whatever else at a lower price than the DX.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:18 PM   #15
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Buyers remorse or not KDXG looks very sexy on those pictures. I hope you give it a second thought and say yes to the bigger screen. K3 has not even been confirmed to come out this year.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote