Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-26-2009, 06:40 PM   #1
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Content Server

Hello. Can someone explain what the "content server" is supposed to do? I don't get it. I went into the Help section of the website, and not being a technical guru, I didn't understand how the help guide was suppose to help
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:14 PM   #2
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

wow...so no one can tell me what the content server function of calibre does? Interesting...
Advert
Old 04-27-2009, 03:24 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Sorry, I thought Kovid was going to explain it.

The content server feature lets you access calibre and download ebooks from any other device (PC, laptop, PDA, Itouch, UMPC) on the same network. For example, I can use my N800 to download ebooks (over my Wifi network) from my main media server PC (assuming calibre is running at the time).

All you can do is download. You can't convert, upload, etc (yet).
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:31 PM   #4
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist

Ah...okay.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:25 PM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The content server feature lets you access calibre and download ebooks from any other device (PC, laptop, PDA, Itouch, UMPC) on the same network.
By same network, that includes the internet provided you know how to open up the necessary ports on your router and have a reasonably easy way to statically address your home computer (e.g. using services such as DynDNS or No-IP).

The primary reason I use Calibre is for the Stanza Online Catalog feature. It gives me access to my whole ebook library (provided files are already in epub format) on my iPhone wherever EDGE is available (alas, no 3G yet, waiting for 32GB iPhone before upgrading). Even though I live in a fairly urban area, public wifi access is still somewhat rare.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2009, 12:56 PM   #6
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist

Public Wifi is quite rare in most places except institutions where you are invited to sit for free (libraries) or invited to sit for pay (café).