Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-02-2012, 01:13 PM   #1111
scoobertron
Connoisseur
scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo touch
nope, I just unzip the files in the .kobo directory and then unmount it. I have done a couple of resets, but that is only when I feel like going back to the original firmware, and I haven't noticed any difference if I upgrade from a freshly reset device.

Unless my experience is unique, it might suggest that the issue is not so much the upgrade as re-syncing the database with regard to kobo content. I may just have been lucky though. As I mentioned, I only use sideloaded epubs, and have reading life etc turned off, so I have nothing to sync with kobo (which is why I wondered if I might be an interesting data point).

With regard to the steps listed above, I wonder if it might be better to do the manual firmware upgrade before syncing the device, so you are doing the upgrade on effectively a bare device, and then sync up the content on the new firmware. After all, I don't think the device needs to be logged in to copy the files over.

Last edited by scoobertron; 09-02-2012 at 01:18 PM.
scoobertron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #1112
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
Ah, I too have not had a problem updating to 2.1.1 and I too only use sideloaded epubs with Calibre and with reading life turned off.

Steve
Chocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2012, 03:16 PM   #1113
Squatter
Squatter began at the beginning.

I acquired my KT in May in New Zealand (1.9.16 was the shipped version). Before I had even developed any bad habits, 2.0.0 came along and "bricked" during the update. Being an IT guy, I wanted to find out why and even offered to be a tester. The Kobo techs provided me with 2 or 3 test versions but they all "bricked" as well.

At that point, I gave up as it was taking way too much time. I was now adept at factory resets so had no problem just going back to 1.9.17. Eventually 2.0.0c worked. By now, I had sworn off using Kobo Desktop.

I have no intention of moving to 2.1+ until it is official because :
I was told by a Kobo guy that KT units as shipped to Australia, NZ and parts of the UK had "issues". Let's assume a particular batch.

In the absence of any other info, I assume that the problem is with the "factory copy" that sits there on every KT. Maybe the bit of code that runs the upgrade procedure itself (& not the actual firmware) is the problem. Clearly this "as-shipped factory copy" is NOT the same for everyone.

My point is that assuming this is the case, it is pointless chasing tails over why "my upgrade works and yours doesn't". So I will just wait and keep regularly lurking here.

Who knows why the official 2.0.0c build updates correctly for everyone and 2.1+ seems to have returned to "bricking" for brickees like "Murg" (although I have not tested myself).
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #1114
Matth79
Zealot
Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, still holding off of letting the thing update, since it looks like this 2.1.1 is "getting there", just hope they scramble together a decent mainstream 2.x release at some point
Matth79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #1115
RickyB
Enthusiast
RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
Ricky, you can't extrapolate that the 2.1.1 firmware is no good at all, from just one personal experience.

... and why would you try new firmware when you are away from your computer and unable to restore everything if something goes wrong?

(from one of the many who find 2.1.1 to be the best firmware so far)
You're right : I cannot extrapolate that and did not intend to.

I can and will conclude however that version 2.0.0 did cause issues for my KT, and for those of others. It has done on two occasions, once when released and again on the weekend. This means IMHO its too far from the 'consumer' device to recommend to anyone not comfortable with technology.

You also asked why I would update when away from my computer. A very simple answer: because my KT asked if I wanted to! Why the heck should I as a consumer think anything else??

To close my current experience off, after the latest factory reset the desktop software again pushed 2.0.0. So far this has worked. Does wifi update and desktop update give different versions, or follow a different process?
RickyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2012, 06:36 PM   #1116
RickyB
Enthusiast
RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post
I have no intention of moving to 2.1+ until it is official because :
I was told by a Kobo guy that KT units as shipped to Australia, NZ and parts of the UK had "issues". Let's assume a particular batch.
Now that is interesting. Is there an official position on this from Kobo I wonder, or is it just an observation by someone there that the 2.0.0 updated caused many people in these regions problems?

What about these batches would cause problems?
What are the implications for future updates, if any?

Last edited by RickyB; 09-02-2012 at 06:37 PM. Reason: spelling
RickyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #1117
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocky View Post
Ah, I too have not had a problem updating to 2.1.1 and I too only use sideloaded epubs with Calibre and with reading life turned off.

Steve
I have Kobo store purchased books as well as Calibre installed, as well as Adobe DE installed (library loans) on mine. The 2.1.1 install worked fine and I did NOT do a factory reset. I never have, and I have had 3 upgrades now, 2 via wifi from kobo and this latest one manually.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:13 PM   #1118
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyB View Post
You also asked why I would update when away from my computer. A very simple answer: because my KT asked if I wanted to! Why the heck should I as a consumer think anything else??
Fair enough, but, I would have answered no when the KT asked if I wanted to upgrade, when I needed it to work for the next few days or whatever. I have enough paranoia to assume the worst .
Old 09-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #1119
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to drop by and say that all our customers will be benefiting from the work we did on the 2.1+ versions of the Kobo Touch software very soon. It is top-of-mind for me given the positive feedback we have been receiving on it to-date. I definitely do not want to keep it from you any longer than necessary.

As some folks have already mentioned, to be on the safe side, I would not recommend installing the build yourself before receiving it through our upgrade process.

As usual, I can't share exact timeframes for when the software will be available, but please know that it's not far off. Thank you for bearing with us so far, and stay tuned.

Thanks,
Sameer.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #1120
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Thanks for the update Sameer. It's good to know that we'll be seeing it soon even if you can't provide an exact timeframe.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:07 AM   #1121
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Thank you Sameer, glad to know you're still here and working hard for us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by volpo View Post
Silly question is there a bright or direct light source shining on the Touch? It wouldn't have to be very bright if the angle was correct. I think I notice external light having an effect on the position sensors of the Touch flooding them making them less responsive.
Hah! That's not a silly question at all. Yes, there may well have been. I have a nice reading light that slides into the side of my case. It has three different brightness settings and it could well be that the times I had page turn troubles the light was set to a brighter setting... I'll try and notice if I have the light on next time I have page turning issues. Thanks.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:34 AM   #1122
jusmee
Wizard

If brighter light stops it working, wouldn't that mean it won't work in full sunlight? It's night time here, so I can't test, but I doubt that's the case.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:46 AM   #1123
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
If brighter light stops it working, wouldn't that mean it won't work in full sunlight? It's night time here, so I can't test, but I doubt that's the case.
I've read in full sun light, no problem...
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:33 AM   #1124
Jeff1192
Connoisseur
Jeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
I've read in full sun light, no problem...
I have to agree with this. In fact I find that it's easier on the eyes to read my KT in full sunlight that a real book.

Jeff
Jeff1192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #1125
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
I don't notice any problem with the touch sensing in bright sunlight, and I agree that the display contrast and visibility are at their best in sunlight.

Reading in the shade on a sunny day is not as good - for whatever reason that seems to reduce the apparent contrast. It's better on a cloudy day, as the diffuse light also makes the contrast pop.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote