Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-23-2011, 03:55 PM   #1
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
So how does everyone feel about SONY now?

I have long been a SONY fan. I can't count the number of their products I have loved - from the Walkman, to Playstations, to Vaios. And yes, the ebook reader - my PRS350 and 950 are great. So, I don't rejoice in what I am seeing...

Over the spring and summer it looked like SONY was getting out of the ebook reader business. No news, models not in stores, bugs were ignored... it looked like the end of the line.

Then over the summer announcements of a new reader came out. After a couple of months of waiting, we have been treated to a product that looks in some ways like a scaled down version of last year's offering (compared to the 950, at least), but which also had some potential. But the strategy is clear - SONY is moving down-market to offer a cheaper product more in line with its competitors. Apparently, there just weren't enough customers willing to pay a premium price for a quality product - which was SONY's previous positioning.

Then, reality set in. The new device is buggy, at least for a percentage of users. The new software even worse than the old one - which is a feat in itself.

What worries me is not as much the bugs - which are annoyances, but I can live with them. The real problem is just the lack of commitment to the product line, the impression that the T1 was never tested properly and that the software is programmed by some sixteen-year-old intern over the weekend...

Customer service is hit-or-miss, depending on whom you talk to. But one thing is for sure - they are in denial mode. No problems here, move along...

I, for one, was looking forward to buying a T1, but now have decided to wait for a Kindle Touch to hit the market. I have never owned a Kindle and I figured - rather than buy a new SONY that does not add much to what I already have, I will try a new system.

Of course, I could also not buy anything... but where would the fun be in that

So where do you think SONY is heading? Is this the end of the line, will they wake up, or will they linger in the limbo of being a second-league player in the ebook reader market?
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:49 PM   #2
Dusty
Connoisseur
Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 300, T1
I've had the Sony 300 for two years, read 100's of books, no complaints.
I now have the T1 and love it, for what I need it's a vast improvement.

I regard any electronic appliance under $200 as disposable, like a toaster. I don't expect it to last forever. It's a sad comment on today's consumerism but unavoidable.
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2011, 05:16 PM   #3
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
But ... what able all that crashing, freezing, etc.? I think that's the point of the thread.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:23 PM   #4
Dusty
Connoisseur
Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
But ... what able all that crashing, freezing, etc.? I think that's the point of the thread.
For $150 you can no longer demand perfection. If it doesn't work properly, return it.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:26 PM   #5
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
For $150 you can no longer demand perfection. If it doesn't work properly, return it.
But... but...

If you return it, the next one might crash as well.

Also, time. Who gives me back the time I spent buying, setting it up, shipping it back, etc? Time wasted, to me, is much more precious than $150.

I know I can't expect premium features at that price (3g comes to mind). But I expect the unit to work. That I don't think is unreasonable.
Advert
Old 10-23-2011, 05:33 PM   #6
Dusty
Connoisseur

I sympathies, I really do... BUT
This is the world we live in, nothing is %100 anymore.
You win some, you lose some.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:41 PM   #7
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
I'm sorry you're having problems. I'm sorry you're upset with Sony.

I'm sorry some people are having problems with it.

Mine has been terrific, except for one book and the problem went away with that when I removed the DRM. I love my T1, even more than I loved my 505, and that's saying something.

Although I think I got lucky - I usually never pre-order anything new. I wait until it's been out and the bugs worked out. But I really wanted this, and it's worked out for me.

So, no, I'm not upset with Sony. If I were you, I'd return it and wait to replace it. Life's to short to waste it being upset.
khalleron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:04 PM   #8
vxf
Guru

No, I am not upset, just musing. Mostly, wondering whether it's time to abandon the SONY ship.

And no, I did not buy a T1. I went to Best Buy twice and the first device I was about to buy had some screen flashing problem. So I returned a week later, they opened another device for me so I could check the flashing and, sure enough, it was much less noticeable. But after two page turns it started flipping pages then it froze. So I didn't buy it.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:13 PM   #9
Robert22
Zealot
Robert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: PRS-505 600 300 350 T1 T2 Kindle PW1 PW2 KV Clara 2E Libra 2 Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
I'm sorry you're having problems. I'm sorry you're upset with Sony.

I'm sorry some people are having problems with it.

Mine has been terrific, except for one book and the problem went away with that when I removed the DRM. I love my T1, even more than I loved my 505, and that's saying something.

Although I think I got lucky - I usually never pre-order anything new. I wait until it's been out and the bugs worked out. But I really wanted this, and it's worked out for me.

So, no, I'm not upset with Sony. If I were you, I'd return it and wait to replace it. Life's to short to waste it being upset.
Well said Kate... I couldn't agree more. Love mine.
Robert22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:45 PM   #10
Ozric
Zealot
Ozric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watch

Device: way too many =)
I'm sorry to hear people are having issues with their T1's. Mine's been great so far. My biggest complaint is that they used a glossy plastic on the bezel, which really shows off fingerprints and dust, but putting it in a Sony cover has mitigated that somewhat as it helps keep my fingers off it.

I was also disappointed with the official cover w/light, as I noted in another thread. But after having it for a couple days, I've become satisfied with it until an awesome third-party cover comes along.

But that's not to say that Sony doesn't have some issues they should address if they want to remain relevant. I hope they do, because I've enjoyed their products over the years.
Ozric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:05 PM   #11
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Speaking as someone who was one of the first to have a fight with my T1 and stated in several places I was going to return it, I've so far, changed my tune. I still don't like the Reader for PC and will be adding and organizing my books manually. That was/is a source of massive frustration for me. I understand what it can and cannot do and adjust as necessary. It doesn't do what I'd like it to do so I won't use it. Simple as that.

As for the reader and the crashing and freezing I wholeheartedly believe it's user error. Plain & simple. It's not a sophisticated piece of machinery we're talking about here. Basically it's older technology. It's not a tablet or even an iPhone.

I believe people are getting multiple pages turns and crashing because they're pressing too long and too hard when trying to turn the page. Mine crashed many times because as I was selecting books to put into collections I selected items too quickly. The processor could not process as quickly as I selected and the thing crashed. When I allowed time for my selection to be processed by the device, it functioned perfectly fine.

Same thing goes for people with the page turns. They've got to be holding it too long and that's what it does. It doesn't just turn one page. It thinks you want to move multiple pages and it does so but again, because it can't process that many selections that fast, the thing crashes.

Now, why they went from the stability of the OS on the previous versions to this one, I couldn't tell you but it does boil down to user error IMO. If you don't like it or it doesn't work for your needs and preferences, then don't use it. Nobody is forcing you to buy the device. *shrugs*
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:10 PM   #12
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
Sony is going the way the AVERAGE customer is pointing to:

-more features
-cheaper units
-now, instantly, yesterday!

No wonder things are pushed to market imperfect.

That's one side. The other side is (at least my experience with that company):

-Sony is quite paranoid (copy protection, crippled software, root-kits, DRM, ...)
-Sony doesn't listen to customers if they have problems (my sad experience even long time ago)
-Sony at least sometimes doesn't have customer support at all (my sad experience 10 years ago)
-Sony tries to dominate market with pseudo-standards (ATRAC, memory-stick, ...) and fails therein (customers partly pay the bill)
-Sony partly don't tell the truth over product features, man could say they lie (for example: against Sony's advertising there is no real MS Word file-format-support on their ereaders)

I guess that some behaviour is Japanese-like:

-Don't admit anything! You can loose your face... ('This problem with the T1 is completely unknown...')
-Don't listen to customers ('We are a big company and know how to manage it')

Personally I strictly avoided Sony products over 10 years after troubles with that brand. I gave them a chance with the PRS350 which seems to be a mature and honest product. I like it. Not bundled to whatever store and proprietary file format.

But with the T1 I've the impression that ends in the ereader corner. PC-software is buggy and crippled - mementos come up from MD-times. Software on the reader is buggy (memory-leak I suppose) and Sony is putting the had in the sands.

Sorry to say that - but I NEVER EVER would buy a T1 until it is clear that Sony solved the evident problem.

Just my 2 c.

A.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:24 PM   #13
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric View Post
My biggest complaint is that they used a glossy plastic on the bezel, which really shows off fingerprints and dust
My black metal 650 has pretty much the same problem.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:58 PM   #14
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post

As for the reader and the crashing and freezing I wholeheartedly believe it's user error. Plain & simple. It's not a sophisticated piece of machinery we're talking about here. Basically it's older technology. It's not a tablet or even an iPhone.

I believe people are getting multiple pages turns and crashing because they're pressing too long and too hard when trying to turn the page. Mine crashed many times because as I was selecting books to put into collections I selected items too quickly. The processor could not process as quickly as I selected and the thing crashed. When I allowed time for my selection to be processed by the device, it functioned perfectly fine.

Same thing goes for people with the page turns. They've got to be holding it too long and that's what it does. It doesn't just turn one page. It thinks you want to move multiple pages and it does so but again, because it can't process that many selections that fast, the thing crashes.

Now, why they went from the stability of the OS on the previous versions to this one, I couldn't tell you but it does boil down to user error IMO. If you don't like it or it doesn't work for your needs and preferences, then don't use it. Nobody is forcing you to buy the device. *shrugs*
I beg to differ with you. I tried doing it light. Now I do understand that you can press a bit harder with the 350, but I took that into consideration when I found out how touch sensitive the T1 is. And if pressing too hard & holding too long is what is doing it, then it would happen a lot more often...like just about every time you read a book since that is how you are suppose to turn multiple pages. Mine never started till after reading 30+ minutes. And it would just flip pages without stopping until you hit the home button. Then it would freeze.

It may have been that I used my thumb to flick from the bottom corners of the screen like someone else suggested. But once again I always turn pages like that with my 350.

All that said, I'm more than willing to give it a try again in a few months. There are so many things to like about the T1. And as I recollect both the Nook Touch & the Kobo Touch had problems at first. Perhaps the Kindle Touch will too.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:01 PM   #15
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
No, I am not upset, just musing.
V, Sorry, but you come across as having ingrained grievances with Sony and wanting to hurt Sony!
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote