Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-11-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Question Where can I purchase a legit copy of OneNote 2007?

Hi everyone. I'm looking for a legit copy of OneNote 2007. The reason that I want that version is that it's the last version before the silly Microsoft Office ribbon, which I hate. I'm still using my original 2002 version of Word! Call me a luddite, but I can't stand that ribbon. I've tried WordPad, which came with my Windows 7 pc, and can't find anything. Luckily, I don't need WordPad. I have had to use the new Movie Maker for youtube vids and it takes me ages just to work out where functions are.

While writing this year's nano novel, I realised that my normal method of note-taking (a freeware program called 'Papel') isn't adequate anymore. I've heard so much raving about OneNote that I took a look at some youtube vids about it. I think it will do the job.

Please, someone, help me find a legit copy. I'm sure the ones on Amazon are OEM versions.

Thanks
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:55 AM   #2
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Hi everyone. I'm looking for a legit copy of OneNote 2007. The reason that I want that version is that it's the last version before the silly Microsoft Office ribbon, which I hate. I'm still using my original 2002 version of Word! Call me a luddite, but I can't stand that ribbon. I've tried WordPad, which came with my Windows 7 pc, and can't find anything. Luckily, I don't need WordPad. I have had to use the new Movie Maker for youtube vids and it takes me ages just to work out where functions are.

While writing this year's nano novel, I realised that my normal method of note-taking (a freeware program called 'Papel') isn't adequate anymore. I've heard so much raving about OneNote that I took a look at some youtube vids about it. I think it will do the job.

Please, someone, help me find a legit copy. I'm sure the ones on Amazon are OEM versions.

Thanks
ebay?
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2012, 05:28 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Google is your friend.

Microsoft OneNote 2007 OEM S26-01965-oem
OneNote 2007 OEM
Sale Price: $20.99
Part Number: S26-01965-oem
Manufacturer: Microsoft
Version: OEM
Availability: Ships Free Today!
Note: Limited quantities available
http://www.viosoftware.com/OneNote+P...aign=S26-01965

You're a luddite. (You told us to call you that.)

Again: Google is your friend.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:14 PM   #4
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
@dr drib: It appears OEM versions aren't sufficiently 'legit' in this case.

I'd love to go back to the standard file menu myself, though in time I've managed to adapt. I actually hated office 2007 more than 2010. I used OneNote 2003 for a very long time. One danger to going backwards is related to formats and portability. Onenote has mobile apps for android and ios and a webapp, making it easy to access notes broadly, but while there may be some backward support for old formats some of the time, I'm not sure just how reliable that is. Unlike the rest of office, ON 2007 and 2010 aren't exactly the same format. You can import in, but I'm not sure how well that will work with mobile apps or the webapp. I wouldn't be surprised if 2013 tweaked the format too.

I was actually about to suggest you try the office webapps in skydrive to make sure onenote 2010 isn't your speed. But I just checked real quick and it appears they've finally updated that to a outlook.comy metroy interface. I seem to recall it used to be identical to office 2010. I guess the new one is what office 2013 will look like? It's not that different. More visual changes than functional ones.

Still, it's not a bad way to try OneNote before buying. The hierarchical structure is still there (that's the big feature IMO), and if you really are using it for notes rather than trying to format the work there (not recommended -- MS handicapped OneNote to keep people from using it as a word processor), there's rarely much need to use the menus at all. OneNote offline instant saves things as you write them, you don't save files or browse for them in explorer generally, you create them in the program's structure of sections and tabs and look for them there too.

Doing a quick google shopping search of 'onenote 2007 -oem' got me here if you're sure you want to go that direction: http://www.buy.com/prod/microsoft-of...ngId=220558135
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #5
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Until recently I didn't know what OEM meant. I googled it and found a tech site which gave information advising people to steer clear of it as it was often pirated rather than ex-computer-manufacturer's stock.

As to the cloud synching: I don't use the cloud, I don't trust it. The only internet capable technology I have is my laptop. My mobile is ancient, and can't access the internet; my ereader doesn't have wi-fi either. I never take my precious lappy out of the house unless he's going to see my techie friend, in which case me and the laptop travel by taxi.

My desire for ON is for its note-taking capability. I'm looking for software in which to keep ideas concerning characters, locations, plot events etc. None of the dedicated writing software seems to do the job I want (except Word for outlining and writing), and I've read lots of positive remarks about OneNote.

My copy of Word didn't come with MS Office, but with "Works Suite 2005" which amazingly loaded on my Windows 7 laptop (it was originally on an XP laptop whose hard drive failed).

Please correct me if I'm wrong about OEM software. I'm a technological ignoramus

Thanks for calling me a luddite, Dr Drib
Advert
Old 11-12-2012, 06:32 PM   #6
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As to the cloud synching: I don't use the cloud, I don't trust it.
Fair enough, but you don't have to trust it to use the webapps try out the interface. The point in doing that is discovering there really isn't much need to touch the ribbons at all. Even exporting can be done from the mouse context menu.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #7
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
You could buy OneNote 2007 with the ribbon, then use a third-party app like Ubitmenu (free), ToolbarToggle or Classic Menu for Office to get back the old Office 2003 menus.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
Marseille
Guru

I believe bookcat is correct that OneNote 2007, unlike the rest of office 2007, doesn't have the ribbon. But it looks like those last two links support 2010 and one even supports 2013. Very interesting. I'd have never even thought to look for such a thing.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:44 PM   #9
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Until recently I didn't know what OEM meant. I googled it and found a tech site which gave information advising people to steer clear of it as it was often pirated rather than ex-computer-manufacturer's stock.

Please correct me if I'm wrong about OEM software. I'm a technological ignoramus
If you are buying form a legitimate seller this is not an issue.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:14 PM   #10
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
I am well pleased with both ebay and amazon used (best topflight dealers!)
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:56 AM   #11
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
MS handicapped OneNote to keep people from using it as a word processor
This comment intrigues me, David M. Has this always been the case with OneNote, or is it a recent development?

I'm not sure how accurate the info was, but I read on the net that there are compatibility problems between ON 2007 and Windows 7, so I'm going to download a demo of ON 2010, just to see if I get on with it.

I did a quick search for MR posts concerning OneNote, and noticed that you seem to be experienced in using it. Which version have you preferred David M?

Thanks for all the help and advice.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:18 AM   #12
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
This comment intrigues me, David M. Has this always been the case with OneNote, or is it a recent development?

I'm not sure how accurate the info was, but I read on the net that there are compatibility problems between ON 2007 and Windows 7, so I'm going to download a demo of ON 2010, just to see if I get on with it.

I did a quick search for MR posts concerning OneNote, and noticed that you seem to be experienced in using it. Which version have you preferred David M?

I use One Note at work for tracking my projects/meetings. It is designed to be a notebook. I do wish they would have put some of Word's features, but in my use case I do not miss them and you can drop word docs into One Note so that helps.

I prefer the most current version for no other reason then I think it is the first version that allows cloud syncing of your notebooks.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #13
Marseille
Guru

Quote:
I'm not sure if they've always been adamant about it, but when I went searching for information about getting some decent default spacing, MS support was almost hostile to whomever had asked about it before me. Apparently they want a bright line between ON and Word.

I actually just use a hard space between paragraphs and then do a find and replace in Word once I'm ready to export.

Quote:

I used OneNote 2003 until I got 2010. In all honesty, there isn't much difference given that about the only time I touch the ribbon is to do a word count (that's not there by default either, someone made an addon). The interface that I actually do work with (tabs and pages) is largely the same between the two.

If you ever should want to work with a mobile device, support tends to start with 2010, and might soon move to starting with 2013 if there's any compatibility issues between their formats. And BTW, you don't necessarily need the cloud to do onenote mobile. Mobilenoter, for example, will work directly with onenote files, so you could work out a local scheme for moving back and forth between desktop and whatever. You could actually work on all your files from an sd/microsd, autosync them daily to your hard drive (to protect against card failure), and then move that sd to your mobile to work on it. I still haven't worked out an exact mobile strategy myself, but right now I'm planning to put one mobile notebook on skydrive and copy content from there to my normal notebooks as necessary.

OneNote is not without many faults, as I hope I've made clear, but I love it all the same. It's like a family pet that will scratch your eyes out for no reason every few weeks, but likes to cuddle the rest of the time. OneNote fits my screwed up way of thinking so well, I couldn't possibly replicate the productivity I've gotten from it with anything else, even despite its shortcomings.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #14
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Ehh, that's BS. OEM just means Original Equipment Manufacture. It is meant for people building computers. True OEM is legit. You get a CD and a genuine CD key. In my 20 something years, i have only seen one instance of pirated being passed off as OEM, and that was back in the early 90s. Just make sure it has the MS seal. If it is bogus, avoid or return. Amazon and eBay have great policies about pirated goods. And if you buy from Amazon itself and not one of resellers listed on Amazon, you're guaranteed to get a legit copy.

The only real difference between OEM and retail is that MS only wants you to install on one computer with OEM. Retail copies allow you to reinstall on a second computer if the first computer no longer has it installed and functioning. Basically, you can keep your same copy if you migrate to a new computer with a retail version.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:07 AM   #15
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Yes, OEM is supposed to stay with the computer with which it was sold. But, of course, you are permitted to upgrade your computer - and just as an axe may be handed down through the generations, it's had the head replaced a few times and the handle replaced many times, it's still the same axe ... isn't it?
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
find, legitimate, onenote