Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-17-2008, 01:02 PM   #76
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I made a GUI install for Vista this morning. If you folks think this will work, I'll make one for XP as well as KindlePID and KindleFIX videos.

Edit: The upload to youtube makes it fuzzy. I've uploaded using several different formats and this is the clearest I can get it.

Last edited by daffy4u; 11-18-2008 at 09:49 AM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:02 AM   #77
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

XP version.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:50 AM   #78
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Nice work. Where do you find all the time. Why no audio?

I would also suggest that you put the hi-res versions up on the Wiki... if that is possible. Youtube while a nice free service keeps the resolution low to save bandwidth.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:55 AM   #79
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Nice work. Where do you find all the time. Why no audio?

I would also suggest that you put the hi-res versions up on the Wiki... if that is possible. Youtube while a nice free service keeps the resolution low to save bandwidth.

BOb
I put the highest res I could make. It's very clear even in a small window on my computer but it degrades after uploading to YouTube. I edited a .wmv file and converted it before uploading. I ended up using their suggestion of .mpeg4 at 640 x 480 and got the best results.

I've been off for two weeks (unplanned), so I had time for these projects. I go back to work today, so this is it for a while.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:58 AM   #80
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I put the highest res I could make. It's very clear even in a small window on my computer but it degrades after uploading to YouTube.
I understand YouTube degrades it on purpose. That's why I said if you can upload the raw .wmv file and host it on the Wiki people can d/l it and watch it with a much better resolution.

What did you use to capture this? I am still looking for a good one for Mac. I know there are some out there because I watch several screencasts for Mac and Ruby on Rails.

BOb
Old 11-18-2008, 10:19 AM   #81
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
I understand YouTube degrades it on purpose. That's why I said if you can upload the raw .wmv file and host it on the Wiki people can d/l it and watch it with a much better resolution.

What did you use to capture this? I am still looking for a good one for Mac. I know there are some out there because I watch several screencasts for Mac and Ruby on Rails.

BOb
I actually tried, .wmv., .avi and .flv (YouTube's native format).

I used a freebie program Debut Video Capture. I used Windows Movie Maker software for the editing.

Oh as to sound. That was just a whole other level of complication that I didn't want to get into. I would never finish. Every time I have to make an edit and re-upload (many times), I'd have to re-record the sound (or be very careful with the edit).

The video is really an overview of the process to show how simple and quick it is to set up. I've directed them to the wiki and this thread for more detailed information.

I am learning a lot on the project.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:17 AM   #82
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Add &fmt=18 to the Youtube URL to get HQ mp4 video.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:37 AM   #83
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Add &fmt=18 to the Youtube URL to get HQ mp4 video.
I already did. Thanks.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:18 PM   #84
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Ok,

Kindle Mobi2Mobi Mac page is ready for review/testing.

I also did a bit of enhancement on all the pages... making Visual Kindle Guide a link on all of them, created a Visual Kindle Guide and a MobiPerl category. These should help visitors finding this stuff in Google to get to the related pages.

BOb
Old 11-23-2008, 12:24 PM   #85
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Ok,

Kindle Mobi2Mobi Mac page is ready for review/testing.

I also did a bit of enhancement on all the pages... making Visual Kindle Guide a link on all of them, created a Visual Kindle Guide and a MobiPerl category. These should help visitors finding this stuff in Google to get to the related pages.

BOb
Woo hoo! Good idea on adding the VKG link on all pages. I was thinking about adding it but didn't know how except as a link to the top. You had the best solution.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:50 PM   #86
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

I would like to double check one thing. On the Windows side, in order to change the title on an Amazon .azw title (not kindlefixed titiles), the command has to read (the GUI was changed to include this):

mobi2mobi originalBOOKname.azw --outfile revisedFILEename.azw --exthtype updatedtitle --exthdata "revisedBOOKname.azw"

I don't remember if I had that as part of the template, so I want to double check. Is the "--exthtype updatedtitle --exthdata" not required on the Mac side?
Old 11-23-2008, 12:52 PM   #87
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I don't remember if I had that as part of the template, so I want to double check. Is the "--exthtype updatedtitle --exthdata" not required on the Mac side?
Are you saying the command is different depending on if the book is run through Kindlefix?

I'm sure the exact same command is required. I have never moved the results to my Kindle to test it since I am using a bogus PID in the sample screen prints. Let me know when you change the command and I will redo the screen print with the correct command being used.

BOb
Old 11-23-2008, 01:02 PM   #88
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Are you saying the command is different depending on if the book is run through Kindlefix?

I'm sure the exact same command is required. I have never moved the results to my Kindle to test it since I am using a bogus PID in the sample screen prints. Let me know when you change the command and I will redo the screen print with the correct command being used.

BOb
The command for a Kindlefixed file is simpler than for an Amazon file. If you read the GUI thread starting at post #140, you'll see that the title would not change on an Amazon book. Wallcraft chimed in with the fact that the extra bits needed to be added. I've also found several other references to the extra part being needed in various places on the Net.

I know non-Amazon files work fine without it because most of the testing I did for the Mobi2Mobi Advanced page were done without the extra part.

Edit: Just to clarify, it's only when changing the book "title" that the extra stuff comes into play. Everything else is the same for .azw, .mobi and .prc.

Last edited by daffy4u; 11-23-2008 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:42 PM   #89
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I know non-Amazon files work fine without it because most of the testing I did for the Mobi2Mobi Advanced page were done without the extra part.

Edit: Just to clarify, it's only when changing the book "title" that the extra stuff comes into play. Everything else is the same for .azw, .mobi and .prc.
Ok.... So since the sample uses the BoB sample book there isn't a need to change it? Go ahead and make any edits you want. Let me know if you need me to do anything.

BOb
Old 11-23-2008, 02:02 PM   #90
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Ok.... So since the sample uses the BoB sample book there isn't a need to change it? Go ahead and make any edits you want. Let me know if you need me to do anything.

BOb
Correct. Info added.

Tags
kindle visual guide, kindlefix, kindlepid, mobi2mobi, mobi2mobi gui