Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-20-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
Thumbs up Paperwhite screen solution...

I've had my Paperwhite since they were first shipped. It has never had a "bad" screen.

Recently it started to show some small signs of color. It has always shown the little cones of light from the LED bulbs but this was new.

I dug out my eyeglass cloth and cleaner, shut off the PW and carefully wiped the screen with the cloth after spraying some cleaner on the cloth, not the screen.

Voila! My PW is back to essentially perfect. Others should try this and report. I have a funny feeling that this is the answer.
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So are you thinking the fingerprints are causing the color hues?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by detayls View Post

I've had my Paperwhite since they were first shipped. It has never had a "bad" screen.

Recently it started to show some small signs of color. It has always shown the little cones of light from the LED bulbs but this was new.

I dug out my eyeglass cloth and cleaner, shut off the PW and carefully wiped the screen with the cloth after spraying some cleaner on the cloth, not the screen.

Voila! My PW is back to essentially perfect. Others should try this and report. I have a funny feeling that this is the answer.
Sorry, but that is nothing more than wishful thinking. There are far too many reports and, I daresay, many keep their screens immaculate, as I do. The hues remain.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
The hues remain...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Sorry, but that is nothing more than wishful thinking. There are far too many reports and, I daresay, many keep their screens immaculate, as I do. The hues remain.
Maybe your fingers are more oily than average.

"The Dude Abides!"
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:55 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The light diffuser is basically a diffraction grating. Colour fringing is inherent in the design.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detayls View Post
Maybe your fingers are more oily than average.

"The Dude Abides!"
You've got it backwards -- less oily. Still, irrelevant since I keep the screen clean.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:01 PM   #7
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The light diffuser is basically a diffraction grating. Colour fringing is inherent in the design.
Precisely.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:05 AM   #8
mobilewilier
Connoisseur
mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Precisely.
Agree 100%. Diffraction defect.
mobilewilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:10 AM   #9
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If it's to do with the light, why is there not a similar problem with Kobo Glo's, don't they use the same kind of tech for the light guide? And why is it more apparent in some Kindle's and not others?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:30 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Differences in colour fringing represent tiny, tiny changes in things like the parallelism of the two faces of the diffusion layer. They're simply minute variations within the tolerances of the manufacturing process.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:02 PM   #11
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Ok that can explain why there is some variation (but I'd still argue that there is something going wrong in the worst cases, which are patently not just down to user perception). But do they not use the same tech in the Kobo Glo as they do the Paperwhite for the light guide, or do we not actually know that?

Clearly there is some difference with the Glo, as it simply doesn't appear to suffer from this issue at all?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

There's all sorts of different methods that can be use to diffuse light. Perhaps Kobo are using a different method. I honestly don't know.

I entirely agree with you that some PW screens will exhibit more colour fringing than others, but I do think it's basically a question of how sensitive or otherwise the user is to the effect. I think my PW is great, but I don't know whether I have a "good" one, or if the colour fringes simply don't bother me. I have seen a couple of others owned by people I work with, and they seemed just the same as mine to my eyes.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #13
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
I have seen some that others claim to be horrible, but I didn't think they were that bad. Certainly worth replacing...

Mine is fine, though.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One thing that might be contributing is the capacitive touch layer. Maybe part of the problem is the light reflecting from the touch layer. The Kobo is still using IR touch so there is no layer between the light and the screen.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:02 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultBoy View Post
I have seen some that others claim to be horrible, but I didn't think they were that bad. Certainly worth replacing...

Mine is fine, though.
Pictures or it didn't happen.