Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-07-2012, 08:26 AM   #1
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ex-Kobo Touch-Nook Simple Touch-Kobo Mini-Retina Mini
Kobo ebook prices

I just received the 25% off weekend deal email from Kobo.

Browsing the ebooks on offer I saw "Whatever it is, I Don't like it" by Howard Jacobson.

Kobo says the list price is £19.00 and they are selling 28% off for £13.67,

When you look on the website of the publisher, Bloomsbury, the RRP for the HARDBACK is £18.99 but the ebook price is £8.99 !!!

So they are selling an ebook but quoting Hardback prices !

That looks like false advertising to me, how do they get away with it ?
mXb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:46 AM   #2
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Pfff that is a huge difference. I'm hoping it's just a mistake. Agh. Horrible. Contact them!

I noticed the other day when I was looking up Robin Hobb books that Amazon has some Kindle editions for £3.99 (€5.03) while Kobo is offering the same titles for €7.60. Even that p*ssed me off.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
The DOJ ebook price lawsuit was just settled with 3 publishers the other day and I read that Amazon has been salivating over this so they can drop prices. Do you think we will see Kobo prices start coming down soon as well?
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:27 AM   #4
shannont
Connoisseur
shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch, retired Sony PR300
I am suprised when I find a book I can even use a coupon code on. All my choices are always no code allowed to publisher restrictions.
shannont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:34 AM   #5
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannont View Post
I am suprised when I find a book I can even use a coupon code on. All my choices are always no code allowed to publisher restrictions.
Once the Agency pricing goes away, this should happen less and less, if at all.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:51 AM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by mXb View Post

Kobo says the list price is £19.00 and they are selling 28% off for £13.67,

When you look on the website of the publisher, Bloomsbury, the RRP for the HARDBACK is £18.99 but the ebook price is £8.99 !!!
The Publisher provides the list price. Kobo then discounts at whatever level they wish. Keep in mind they have an obligation to provide an amount we know nothing about to the publisher when a book is sold. This has to influence how large the discount can be.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #7
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
They can sell it below cost if they want. Look at all those boxing day sales or going out of business sales. A lot of stuff is sold for less than the store paid for it.
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:38 PM   #8
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Quote:
The Publisher provides the list price. Kobo then discounts at whatever level they wish.
Not so under the Agency Model that was just struck down by the Court.

Under the Agency Model (once known as Fair Trade before that was ruled illegal), the publisher set the price and granted a fixed percentage to the seller, in order to artificially keep pricing high, and to undercut Amazon in favor of Apple.

The settlement with three of the participating publishers will force them to refund $69 Million to consumers, to compensate for screwing us on the pricing.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
No surprises that this does not apply to Agency pricing. The OP was not talking about an agency priced book.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #10
dakini
not "it"
dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
I'd assumed that the DOJ lawsuit only affected prices in the US? Pardon my ignorance, but will that affect sales prices worldwide?
dakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #11
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakini View Post
I'd assumed that the DOJ lawsuit only affected prices in the US? Pardon my ignorance, but will that affect sales prices worldwide?
No, just in the U.S.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #12
nilvento
nilvento began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Is anyone else getting different prices on the checkout page? For instance, I want to get "Catching Fire" and it's listed at $5.99. I click on the "buy now" button and the price jumps to $11.97. I contact Kobo's customer service and they said that I should be logged in as to get the correct pricing. I log in and the same thing happens. I contacted them again, and they told me that the correct price is $11.97. But it's still listed at $5.99?? Any ideas??
nilvento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:00 PM   #13
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilvento View Post
Is anyone else getting different prices on the checkout page? For instance, I want to get "Catching Fire" and it's listed at $5.99. I click on the "buy now" button and the price jumps to $11.97. I contact Kobo's customer service and they said that I should be logged in as to get the correct pricing. I log in and the same thing happens. I contacted them again, and they told me that the correct price is $11.97. But it's still listed at $5.99?? Any ideas??
How rude! I'd contact them again and complain. Make sure they make the checkout price 5.99... OR just go and get it elsewhere (Amazon lists it for 5.99).
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote