Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-16-2010, 04:39 PM   #1
Kitabi
Connoisseur
Kitabi is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
Are you happy with your EReader form factor?

I feel that the 6" size of the general consumption EReaders is a bit small - it is smaller than even MMPBs. I would love to have a 6.5" - 7" screen size when technology prices drop a bit. In other words, I would like something like the Sony Touch Edition in the $150 - 200 range.

What do you think about the size of your readers?
Kitabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:44 PM   #2
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
This is only the start of the ebook revolution. Look at cell phones back in the 80s. Giant bulky unreliable blocks... as time went on they got slimmer and more features. The same will be happening with ebook readers, except due to it being a "reader", the size will increase slightly until there is a good medium of what people want without being oversized, probably around the 8-10" mark will be the limit. Also as more companies start making them, the formats will have to be slimmed down some, so it is hard to say which one will take over but there will be a reduction down to 2 or 3 key ebook only formats, as well as the ability for other typical formats like PDF, TXT, RTF, and so on.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:02 PM   #3
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I have a 6" reader; I want a smaller one. I read for two years on PDAs before they died, and decided I wanted to replace them with something with longer battery life. Since most of my reading is leisure text, screen size is irrelevant to me; all I care is that the words are of a comfortable size and the pages turn fast enough.

People who want to read letter-sized PDFs or color magazines are going to need larger devices, and I think we'll see a growing number of tablets. I hope we don't lose the small, pocket-sized ereaders; I have no interest in "upgrading" to something I can't comfortably hold in one hand for an hour on a crowded train.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:15 PM   #4
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
I have the nook 6in and the nook color 7in and I think I'm liking the 7 inch screen form factor better.

Seems to be closer to a regular page size.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:44 PM   #5
Kitabi
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwballl View Post
This is only the start of the ebook revolution. Look at cell phones back in the 80s. Giant bulky unreliable blocks... as time went on they got slimmer and more features. The same will be happening with ebook readers, except due to it being a "reader", the size will increase slightly until there is a good medium of what people want without being oversized, probably around the 8-10" mark will be the limit. Also as more companies start making them, the formats will have to be slimmed down some, so it is hard to say which one will take over but there will be a reduction down to 2 or 3 key ebook only formats, as well as the ability for other typical formats like PDF, TXT, RTF, and so on.
The Kindle DX already sits in the 8-10" range. But it is not portable. What I want is for the current 6" models to get rid of their keypads, LCD screens etc and go to e-ink touch screens so that the portability of the form factor remains the same but the reading area increases.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:46 PM   #6
Kitabi
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I have a 6" reader; I want a smaller one. I read for two years on PDAs before they died, and decided I wanted to replace them with something with longer battery life. Since most of my reading is leisure text, screen size is irrelevant to me; all I care is that the words are of a comfortable size and the pages turn fast enough.

People who want to read letter-sized PDFs or color magazines are going to need larger devices, and I think we'll see a growing number of tablets. I hope we don't lose the small, pocket-sized ereaders; I have no interest in "upgrading" to something I can't comfortably hold in one hand for an hour on a crowded train.
That is a valid requirement but I would like to get more text per page to maintain context and also be able to refer back more easily. Of course, this may also save some battery due to fewer page turns.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:35 PM   #7
RW2112
Connoisseur
RW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: iPad 2
I use a 7" android tablet and I am very happy with it.

I do believe however that the magic size will end up around 8.5" with a slim form factor. That will make it a good size for e-magazine and e-newspaper reading, as well as all other formats.
RW2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:47 PM   #8
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
I've found that I read faster on smaller screens, page turns be-damned. The current Kindle 3 is just about perfect. Any larger (wider) and it ceases to be a one-handed media. I read only text on the eInk screen. My laptop 15" screen is best for PDF and color image content. Let each format do what it does best and don't try to make a Swiss army knife out of an eReader.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:59 PM   #9
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitabi View Post
I feel that the 6" size of the general consumption EReaders is a bit small - it is smaller than even MMPBs. I would love to have a 6.5" - 7" screen size when technology prices drop a bit. In other words, I would like something like the Sony Touch Edition in the $150 - 200 range.

My normal reading device is a Palm OS PDA, with a 320x480 3.25"x2.25" screen. I started reading ebooks on a PDA years back, and have continued the practice.

I'm not interested in a dedicated reader, because I need color support (which rules out eInk), and I need a device that does more than display ebooks. Aside from the standard PDA personal organizer functions, I have apps for handling Word and Excel files, a good word processor, web browser, email app, viewers for video and and photos, a music player, paint app, several programming languages and a programming editor...and oh, yes, it plays games.

The biggest limitation is the small screen. I wouldn't mind a larger one, but haven't seen a device that does everything the PDA will do. Meanwhile, with appropriate font selections, I get a decent amount of text on screen, and am quite comfortable reading on it. (Comfortable enough to have about 4,000 ebook volumes occupying most of a 2GB SD card in one of the card slots, with half of the PDA's purpose in life being ebook viewing.)

The next device is likely to be an Android based tablet, with a folding BT keyboard as an accessory.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:32 PM   #10
Luke King
Member Retired
Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
The Kindle DX already sits in the 8-10" range. But it is not portable. What I want is for the current 6" models to get rid of their keypads, LCD screens etc and go to e-ink touch screens so that the portability of the form factor remains the same but the reading area increases.
The problem with increasing the reading area would be leaving you anywhere to hold onto the reader. I like the sides and the keypad, because I'm often holding the Kindle in one hand.
Luke King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:04 PM   #11
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
five inch reader.... by far the best in my opinion... VERY EASY to hold with one hand... enough text if you find the write font and turn pages are easy.. with the 360 you dont even need to press a button just flip your wrist... with the V5 easy scroll wheel. The arguement for a big screen is fine for home or office use...however on the road the smaller the better... but that is my take others love the 6 inch screen... IF they ever make a 4inch eink DEVICE.... as long as it is not a closed system.... I will buy it..

@elfwreck... The 360 or Hanlin V5 would be great for you...either would do... you would not go back...
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:21 PM   #12
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Very happy with my Sony PRS-350

The right size, the right functionality.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:46 PM   #13
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
I'd like to see the screens made taller, instead of the standard screen shapes move to the widescreen shapes no wider just an inch more in vertical text space
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:13 PM   #14
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Oh, man, am I happy with the form factor of my ereader! After just 7 months with my PB360, I am more in love with it than ever! I find the size just right for holding one-handed and with the ability to program any button for page turns I can easily turn a page by merely flexing a finger.

The PB360 has gone everywhere with me and its small, light footprint has made it the most handy thing to use.

Oh, and the intergrated cover ensures it doesn"t end up being too bulky...

One of my best purchases for 2010 (the iPad was the other). With these two "toys," I am in electronic goodies heaven.
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:21 PM   #15
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:

If you like the Sony touch (Sony 600 respectively Sony 650) and look for >7", Sony daily edition (Sony 900 respectively Sony 950) is worth checking out.
I've got the old ones (600 and 900) and by far favor Sony 900. The form factor to me simply is perfect. I don't use the 2-page-option, I only use it in portrait mode. The additional screen estate allows for some more text per page and for additional thumbnails on the homescreen. And -as all Sony readers- it's a beautifully designed unit.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote