Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

View Poll Results: Pick three options for next firmware upgrade 5&6 inch
Add CoolReader, without severe battery drain! 55 76.39%
Latest version of FB2 31 43.06%
IF possible, keep Visible Clock Set when device off 16 22.22%
LIT is still not right, can you please get LIT to work 27 37.50%
Add Dictionary Support! 32 44.44%
Other (detailed below in post). 21 29.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-05-2010, 12:58 PM   #46
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
JSWolf: better typography would be great i.e. support of the additional data in the opentype specs. in particular, as the only way to achieve this presently is (afaik) the usage of xetex for PDF creation, so under which tree to bark? on whose door to knock?
enhancement of epub specs? (Prince XML?)
or reader internal functionality?
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:59 PM   #47
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloggy View Post
..if that is true, then the requested "file management" functions can easily be implemented. What could be the reason that the other OEM resellers haven't it implemented yet? Is this an exclusive agreement between Lbook and Jinke?
lBook consists of hardware and firmware. They have access to the official Jinke firmware and modify it accordingly. I do not know if they provide a copy of the source back to Jinke or what legal agreements they have. Bebook has also been known to modify Jinke supplied firmware, although to a much less extent.

As an OEM supplier Jinke does have individual contracts when each of their customers for what they supply. For example the TTS that is on EZ Reader Pocket Pro is a specific feature that Jinke provides to some customers but if you download the firmware from the Jinke site you will find that this is missing.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2010, 01:05 PM   #48
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davimee View Post
I've noticed a couple people mention they'd like to see a newer version of ADE... I didn't realize there are other versions of that. What is different about it? The reason I ask is because I've started using CoolReader more often, simply because of the status bar with the name of the book, the time, and progress. But I much prefer the formatting of ADE. Would the newer version of ADE have an option like that? If it does, I'd rather see that than newer version of CoolReader. If that was the case, my choices would be to update ADE, and have some sort of file management system.
The banner could be added at anytime by Jinke although an equal number of users would likely complain if it were. Some like and some do not but its use does not depend on Adobe ADE. The real solution would be to offer a banner option in the firmware for ADE, (PDF and EPUB). Jinke's banner does not supply the name of the book however. You can see the Jinke banner in most other formats such as PDB and Mobi. Or if you press menu inside of ADE it will show up.

Dale
Old 07-05-2010, 01:38 PM   #49
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
The banner could be added at anytime by Jinke although an equal number of users would likely complain if it were. Some like and some do not but its use does not depend on Adobe ADE. The real solution would be to offer a banner option in the firmware for ADE, (PDF and EPUB). Jinke's banner does not supply the name of the book however. You can see the Jinke banner in most other formats such as PDB and Mobi. Or if you press menu inside of ADE it will show up.

Dale
Thanks, Dale. The name of the book isn't the most important thing to me in the status bar, although it is helpful when I read several books by the same author, to refresh my mind of which book it is that I'm reading. The main thing I like in it is the clock and the status of the pages. And I've seen that I can check that at any time by pressing the menu button (or pressing the little toggle thing on the right "in"), but I'd like an option to have that visible all the time. Although I agree, it should be optional, so not everyone has to see it if they don't want to. I just keep going back and forth between CoolReader and ADE... I can't decide which is more important to me; the formatting of ADE, or the status bar in CoolReader. Maybe someday someone will come out with the best of both worlds.
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:20 PM   #50
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
There is supposed to be a new version of ADE coming "REAL.SOON.NOW" that offers support for B&N password-based DRM as well as the "classic" ADEPT DRM. That would allow reading DRM'ed ebooks from Nook or the various B&N eReader apps on iPhone, PC, etc on the EZReader.
There are also some bug fixes that have been mentioned in the ePUB forum that are not in the ADE we have.
Advert
Old 07-05-2010, 02:27 PM   #51
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davimee View Post
Thanks, Dale. The name of the book isn't the most important thing to me in the status bar, although it is helpful when I read several books by the same author, to refresh my mind of which book it is that I'm reading. The main thing I like in it is the clock and the status of the pages. And I've seen that I can check that at any time by pressing the menu button (or pressing the little toggle thing on the right "in"), but I'd like an option to have that visible all the time. Although I agree, it should be optional, so not everyone has to see it if they don't want to. I just keep going back and forth between CoolReader and ADE... I can't decide which is more important to me; the formatting of ADE, or the status bar in CoolReader. Maybe someday someone will come out with the best of both worlds.
I tend use Menu 9 a lot, since I have this habit of having a number of books "In progress" at any time.

Which I would like to have the "Last Read" book float to the top of the list (But not mess with the Alpha sort of the regular folders).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:30 PM   #52
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There are also some bug fixes that have been mentioned in the ePUB forum that are not in the ADE we have.
I suspect the update is not Free. IIRC RobertB said Astak paid quite a chunk of change to get the ADE SDK we use.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:36 PM   #53
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Thanks for the opportunity to provide feedback, Robertb.

I am neutral on coolreader 3. With Openinkpot I use Fbreader exclusively. What I would like to see (whether via Coolreader or changes to existing firmware) are.

1. The ability to set default for reading style. Some people like no indent/skip a line for paragraphs, and some people prefer indent/no skip (I'm in the latter group). you should be able to set which you want for all books under the reader.

2. existing firmware needs to handle zipped HTML better. With Fbreader, I just click on the book and voila, open book. With the V3 software, I have to click on the package, locate the HTML file among the image files and click on that. Cumbersome.
Greg Anos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:34 PM   #54
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
lBook consists of hardware and firmware. They have access to the official Jinke firmware and modify it accordingly. I do not know if they provide a copy of the source back to Jinke or what legal agreements they have. Bebook has also been known to modify Jinke supplied firmware, although to a much less extent.

As an OEM supplier Jinke does have individual contracts when each of their customers for what they supply. For example the TTS that is on EZ Reader Pocket Pro is a specific feature that Jinke provides to some customers but if you download the firmware from the Jinke site you will find that this is missing.

Dale
I was unaware Bebook did any modifications to the firmware, I was under the impression Jinke did the mods for Bebook (splash/startup screens etc).

I don't think there would be a contractual obligation between LBook and Jinke to hand back any changes they have made, the software is GPL'd so they'd have to hand a copy upon request. The only exclusion here would be closed-source aspects, such as ADE.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:49 PM   #55
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I tend use Menu 9 a lot, since I have this habit of having a number of books "In progress" at any time.

Which I would like to have the "Last Read" book float to the top of the list (But not mess with the Alpha sort of the regular folders).
Yes, I have filed a bug at Jinke on that problem. The EZ Reader basic recently read list is always up to date but the EZ Reader Pocket Pro does not keep the last read book at the top like it should. Of course the about option does reveal the name of the book for ADE but CoolReader only reveals the filename, almost as good.

Dale
Old 07-05-2010, 10:50 PM   #56
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I suspect the update is not Free. IIRC RobertB said Astak paid quite a chunk of change to get the ADE SDK we use.
Certainly the SDk costs money originally but they shouldn't charge for bug fixes.

Dale
Old 07-06-2010, 11:49 AM   #57
alroy
Enthusiast
alroy began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Opus/Pocket Pro/eSlick/Libre Pro
I would like the option to turn PDF reflow on and off.
alroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:57 PM   #58
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by alroy View Post
I would like the option to turn PDF reflow on and off.
Just curious

If you turn off reflow, how do you see the right and bottom edges of a document not formatted for your screen size? There is no "Scroll" or Jump 1/x on these devices.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:47 PM   #59
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Thank you! All comments appreciated

Dear All:

Thank you. I am seeing some decent voting and I am seeing some good thoughts on "other" ideas.

My understanding from the factory is that lBook does their own firmware upgrades and has this right from the factory. The factory does not need to invest engineers in the effort and some of the info helps the factory.

The Program Manager will look at the results and read the comments and then submit to the factory what needs to be done.

Yes, we (and the factory) do pay for ADE and have to pay a yearly fee also. I believe that the yearly fees covers all upgrades and improvements so I do not think thatis extra cost.

Bob
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:03 PM   #60
Randal6393
Ebook Addict for ten year
Randal6393 is on a distinguished road

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Bebook Mini as lbook, Dell Axim Pocket PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartyPants View Post
I have a suggestion for 'Other' - being able to delete books from the reader itself.
Yes, yes, yes! And again, yes! Single greatest upgrade would like to see.
Randal6393 is offline   Reply With Quote