Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-04-2010, 12:30 AM   #16
suzy
suzy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony psp 300
I found a book on Amazon...but I own a Sony pocket reader. So if I buy the ebook on Amazon, can I download it to Calibre and then transfer it to my pocket reader? Or would I be wasting my money even trying?
suzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:30 AM   #17
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
If you have the technical expertise to strip the DRM, you can. No, people here won't tell you how; it's illegal to do that. If you're just the average consumer, you're probably not going to be able to.

Basically, if you're going to buy ebooks for a Sony device -- do you mean PRS-300, by the way? The PSP is a game console -- you usually either have to buy them from the Sony store, buy DRM-locked books called "Adobe Digital Editions" from various places, or buy books that are not DRM-restricted.

This is one of the big reasons why DRM is bad. If you go to the brick-and-mortar bookstore and buy a book, you can read it anywhere. You can read it on the couch, or in bed, or at the laundromat, or at the beach. You don't have to worry whether your book is compatible with your couch, or whether you're permitted to read it there. You just buy a book and read it. With DRM-restricted ebooks, you don't have that freedom. Plus, you can't give it to your mom when you're done with it, or donate it to the charity book sale, or ... well, or anything, except to read it on whatever specific device you're permitted to read it on. And for this you pay extra.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2010, 04:32 AM   #18
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
If you have the technical expertise to strip the DRM, you can. No, people here won't tell you how; it's illegal to do that. If you're just the average consumer, you're probably not going to be able to.
That's not quite correct, Worldwalker - It's certainly against MobileRead Forum policy to tell each other on the forum how to remove DRM, but I don't know of anyone who has ever been charged or sued for telling someone else how to do it. Private messages could be Suzy's friend.

And anyway there are long threads on both the mobi and epub forums from which one can glean the information required.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote