Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-18-2009, 12:55 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Onyx Boox 60 - first impressions

The Boox was announced back in March at CeBit. MobileRead was the first to bring you information on this device, and now we're the first (well, second) to get our hands on it.

I've been wanting to see one of these babies since forever. It finally arrived today. I'm not a good photographer, so I won't be posting unboxing pictures. But that's not a big loss because a Chinese ebook site has already posted a review with several good pictures.

The pictures are here. A Goolge translated version of the site can be found here. I'd recommend that you have both open at the same time because the Google translation drops the pictures. MobRead also posted a copy of the English language user's manual in PDF.

I'm only going to post a few words because I want to get back to using it. The user manual has the technical specs and features. I'm using a pre-release version of the English language firmware, so i don't have all the features listed. For, example, I cannot sketch.

Formats

The listed formats include PDF, RTF TXT, HTML, PDB, CHM, Epub, and Mobi. Both Mobi and Epub work just fine and are quite readable. I'm pretty sure it's using FBReader to display Mobi. (I recognize the bugs.) I think it's using Adobe DE to display Epub. I can see those annoying page numbers on the side of the screen, and image links don't work (this is a common Adobe bug). Adobe is also listed on the About page. I just authorized the Boox under DE.

Part of the reason I'm not sure is that the user manual doesn't actually _say_ that the Boox has DE support. I tried to plug it in to the USB port to see if Adobe DE would notice it. The Boox is not recognize as a USB device by either of my computers. (I did mention that the firmware is pre-release, right? ) This was fixed.

screen refresh speed
I compared the Boox with the Cybook Opus after turning the full refresh off on both devices. The Boox is just barely slower than the Opus. The difference is so small that my eyes could be tricking me. I also noticed that both are displaying the same behavior with widows and orphans, which pretty much confirms that the Boox is using Adobe DE.

Touch screen & menu
It's a Wacom screen, so don't lose the stylus. All menu navigation is through the screen.

Readability
I can't answer this yet, but I do know that I'm going to set aside my Opus (even though the Boox is bigger and heavier) because the Boox has the one feature that the Opus desperately needs: a sleep mode.

Connectivity
I haven't tested the Wifi because my network is buggy. I will come back to this.

Last edited by Nate the great; 09-23-2009 at 08:09 AM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:01 PM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I liked that thing when I saw it earlier this year. I only am unsure about using a wacom pen. It does have its advantages but also disadvantages...

Where did you buy it?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2009, 01:04 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I liked that thing when I saw it earlier this year. I only am unsure about using a wacom pen. It does have its advantages but also disadvantages...

Where did you buy it?
I didn't. Onyx lent me one to review.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:05 PM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Even better

I'll await your full review then!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:19 PM   #5
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
How much does it cost?
Where it can be purchased in EU?
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2009, 02:24 PM   #6
shrimphead
shrimphead began at the beginning.

Device: Plastic Logic
I've been really looking forward to this one.

Please post a full review soon, with pictures if you can. Even blurry pictures can really saw a lot. Especially about form and how well it fits in the hand.

Thanks.
shrimphead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:31 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The Manual...
http://www.onyx-international.com/usermanualV1.0.pdf

Manufacturers website...
http://www.onyx-international.com

Couldn't find anything about when it would be released or where to purchase. Did they give you any info on that Nate?

EDIT: Sorry I missed that a manual link had already been posted.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:06 PM   #8
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Want!!!

Ok, I'll have to see the price first. But still, I have been interested in this since the specs were announced.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:25 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
The Manual...
http://www.onyx-international.com/usermanualV1.0.pdf

Manufacturers website...
http://www.onyx-international.com

Couldn't find anything about when it would be released or where to purchase. Did they give you any info on that Nate?
I don't have any information, and I won't say anything definite without asking Onyx first.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:34 PM   #10
ranma
ranma began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
How much does it cost?
Where it can be purchased in EU?
In the chinese review site, they said the manufacture is aiming to sub $440 price tag.
ranma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 03:21 AM   #11
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
pretty sure this is the Onyx 60 at CeBit earlier in the year. Even if not it gives an idea what it will look like and how it will function:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnFfXZ5DT8k
(~6-min runtime)
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 05:34 AM   #12
Jiang
Enthusiast
Jiang is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle HD 8.9
hi, guys, there is a chinese review poped online twelve days ago, with lots of pics in the 9 pages review, http://www.mobread.com/evaluating/2009538.html , I guess their factory is in China. In the forum of this site, they said it would be available in China in October.
Jiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 06:16 AM   #13
kome17
kome
kome17 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
What a cool device, the pdf support and the wifi function is cool for common reader like us. hope there would be someone selling it in Hong Kong soon
kome17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:38 AM   #14
Jiang
Enthusiast
Jiang is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle HD 8.9
more pics: http://cn.engadget.com/photos/onyx-boox-unbox/2301273/
Jiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:11 AM   #15
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiang View Post
hi, guys, there is a chinese review poped online twelve days ago, with lots of pics in the 9 pages review, http://www.mobread.com/evaluating/2009538.html , I guess their factory is in China. In the forum of this site, they said it would be available in China in October.
Thanks, but I already had a link to that review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiang View Post
This is a good find, though.

Tags
boox, onyx