Device: Likebook Mars
Samsung Omnia

I'm using a Samsung Omnia iphone with ubook reader, works great

Vortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 01:48 AM   #2
frh
frh began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Omnia and i730
Vortex, I also have an Omnia, as well as my old Samsung i730. (I'm leaning toward returning the Omnia, and re-activating my trusty i730.)

I installed Mobipocket Reader on both devices, but am not really used to it yet. I'm especially frustrated that I haven't found a way to organize my books in separate folders. I'm also curious about why you chose the ubook reader?
frh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2009, 02:48 AM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by frh View Post
Vortex, I also have an Omnia, as well as my old Samsung i730. (I'm leaning toward returning the Omnia, and re-activating my trusty i730.)
Love that i730. My wife bought me a BlackBerry Storm this Christmas. While it's a nice phone I sill like my i730 better. I was thinking of returning the storm for the Omnia. But if the i730 is better than I'll just stick with my i730. BTW what issues are you having with the Omnia. It looked very nice from the short demo.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:09 PM   #4
frh

=X=, I tried a Storm in the Verizon store while I was waiting to be helped. I found it incredibly slow and even managed to lock it up. (In all fairness, I have no idea what other people did to it before that happened.) Regardless, the Verizon rep responded with the infamous "they plan to fix that with the next software update." (I don't understand why Verizon keeps releasing products and spending huge amounts of money advertising them before they work the bugs out of the devices?)

I did a lot of research and read hundreds of posts on a half dozen forums before I went into the Verizon store. I wanted to know what early adopters / power users were saying about the Omnia's reliability. Also, what kind of software / registry hacks are available. Unlike the Storm, most everything they report in those forums is positive. And there is a lot more discussion about the Omnia than I would have imagined. I don't know the policies on this forum about posting links to other forums. If it's OK, and if you're interested, I could post links to those forums for you.

The Omnia runs Mobipocket reader well, but I still haven't figured out how to use the software. My only issue with it so far is I have so many books in my "library" on the device, it's hard to find the one I want. I wish they could be stored in folders.

The Omnia is a great device, but it won't do everything I wanted it for. I need something that can hang from a belt clip, be used to show before and after pictures, full page pdf documents and play u-tube clips and power point presentations to potential customers. And I need to be able to do it when we are standing in the middle of their back yards. That's a lot to ask. My plan was to wait until I can afford a $2,000+ daylight enabled OQO laptop (or a similar tablet PC if I could find one that meets those requirements)...

I figured I could live with the Omnia's small screen. It runs the software I need with no problem. But it's screen is not bright enough to be seen in daylight and it's speaker is not loud enough to be heard outdoors. I have 6 days left to decide to keep it or return it.

Regarding the i730. With WM3 my first one was virtually useless. The MS browser is lousy. It wasn't good at managing memory and would lock-up constantly if you tried to run add-on programs. Worst of all, the backlight gradually got so dim I couldn't even see it unless I was in a dark room at night. Just as my 1 year warranty was up, Verizon agreed to send me a brand new replacement. I immediately flashed it to WM5. Then I talked myself into an i760 so the i730 went back in it's box and I forgot about it.

I took the i760 back before the end of the 30 day return period because it just didn't seem like enough improvement over the i730. When the Touch came out, I tried one, and also took it back. Meantime, that brand new i730 sat on a shelf.

When I set-up the Omnia, I also set-up the i730. With WM5, it turns out to be a great device and seems to do almost anything the Omnia will. OK, it has a few minor irritants and it's screen is small. But unlike the Omnia, it's GPS is not locked so I can use it in my truck to guide me to my customers houses. I hate to do it to Verizon, but I'm thinking about returning the Omnia and using the i730 until I can afford the OQO.

By the way, my first Windows Mobile device, an XV6600 (also on a shelf in it's box) might make a great ebook reader. If I remember correctly, it has more memory than the i730 and has a bigger screen than either the i730 or Omnia. I don't know if it can be flashed to WM5. Unfortunately, both of it's batteries blew-up... As I was typing this, I did a search and discovered replacement batteries are still available on line...
Old 01-09-2009, 06:01 PM   #5
Vortex
Groupie
Vortex began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Mars
I use uBook because I find it the best of all of the readers. I dont buy books, I get all my reading material in pdf's from the darkside and convert them to text with ABC converters and ebookTools.
I mostly read on my iLiad but I much prefer reading with uBook on my laptop but the battery didn't appreciate it. I'm looking forward to a good windows based reader. The Omnia screen is a bit small for general reading use but is great to have in your pocket when you've got time to fill.

The XV6600 has a 3.5" screen, res 240x320
The Omnia has a 3.2" screen, res 240x400
The Omnia I have had a vodafone branded version of windows mobile 6.1, it was real naf, so I formatted it and installed the latest Omnia version of 6.1 pro, which is great, really stable and gives much better battery life.

Last edited by Vortex; 01-09-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Vortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2009, 01:17 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Vortex,

Hello and welcome to the forum. Glad to have you. However...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex View Post
I dont buy books, I get all my reading material in pdf's from the darkside and convert them to text with ABC converters and ebookTools.
...this is probably not a good thing to admit. There are many authors and publishers that work hard to produce the content you so brazenly mention about getting for free. Unless of course by "darkside" you meant books that are in the public domain or have a creative commons type sharing allowed licenses.

Be good,
BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:51 AM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
=X=, I tried a Storm in the Verizon store while I was waiting to be helped. I found it incredibly slow and even managed to lock it up. (In all fairness, I have no idea what other people did to it before that happened.) Regardless, the Verizon rep responded with the infamous "they plan to fix that with the next software update." (I don't understand why Verizon keeps releasing products and spending huge amounts of money advertising them before they work the bugs out of the devices?)
frh, I've had the storm now for 2 weeks and it's a great device! I was not expecting to like this device and had full intentions to return it when the 30day trial expired (I received this as a Chrsitmas gift I did not want to hurt her feelings.) What a mistake, now I'm sold on the Storm.

I was a huge fan of WM phones(i730), had mine close to 3 years, because of their third party support, touch screen features and rich features. But WM phones tend to do a great many things poorly.
This BB Storm doesn't do all of the things a WM phone can do, but it does them extremely well.

As for stability I'm wagering that the folks who are complaining are BB folks who are use to a solid product. And the storm has some issues I've got it to crash once and had to reboot twice because of some stress load I put it under. My WM phone I crashed much more.

My biggest grip with the Samsung was the screen quality, battery life, email capabilities and phone support.

These are non issues with the Storm. The battery life last all day even with heavy usage and hte screen is so bright I can read eBooks under direct sunlight.

Quote:
The Omnia runs Mobipocket reader well, but I still haven't figured out how to use the software. My only issue with it so far is I have so many books in my "library" on the device, it's hard to find the one I want. I wish they could be stored in folders.
I'll tell you there is no software for eBook that is better than MobiPocket + PocketPC. Mobipocket has done a fantastic job writing a eBook software for the PocketPC (WM) platform they have taken advantage of every feature the PocketPC provides. You can re-map you phone keys, just for that application. Annotation and bookmarks work great with a stylus and the sync software. I will truly miss this software on my storm, they are working on a storm version but I don't think it will be as nice as the PocketPC.

BTW this site has no problems posting links here I would like to see some of the links you mentioned

=X=
Old 01-11-2009, 08:20 PM   #8
frh

=X=, Some of the forums I frequent are PDA Phone Home, Howard Forums and MoDaCo. I believe they all have Blackberry / Storm sections.

I regret to say I took the Omnia back because it started having some rather bizarre touch screen issues. They offered to trade it for another one (the 3rd), but I declined and just returned it. So I'll be using the i730 for a while.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:21 PM   #9
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
=X=, Some of the forums I frequent are PDA Phone Home, Howard Forums and MoDaCo. I believe they all have Blackberry / Storm sections.
Thank you I'll take a look

Quote:
I regret to say I took the Omnia back because it started having some rather bizarre touch screen issues. They offered to trade it for another one (the 3rd), but I declined and just returned it. So I'll be using the i730 for a while.
That's too bad, since our last posts I've also done reading on the Storm and Omnia. Some folks had similar complains about the screen. Most people gripped about the instability of the software (OS). I

i730 is one solid product! It's biggest flaw was Windows Mobile and battery life. That phone keeps ticking now the i730 is acting as another eBook reader

=X=
Old 01-13-2009, 07:16 PM   #10
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Mobipocket was the first piece of software installed on my Omnia. Works very well indeed.

Currently, I am most happy with the choice of the Omnia and did a fair bit of research into what Smartphone to buy, with options including the BB Storm and HTC Touch HD. The Omnia on review was the more stable than the other s I looked at.

It is great not having to take my PDA with me when we go shopping, as I can use the Omnia whilst waiting for my wife, who is trying on new clothes
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:06 PM   #11
Arnau
Arnau began at the beginning.

Device: none
Using Omnia as your ebook reader doesnt burn your eyes?
I mean, seriously, when I used my last mobilephone as an ebook reader, after 30minutes of reading I focused my eyes somewhere else and my eyes were all fucked.
Arnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:37 PM   #12
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
My Ipaq is my main reader, the Omnia when I am out somewhere.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:06 AM   #13
Petest
Petest began at the beginning.

Device: Omnia - mobipocket
Hello folks
I'm a fellow omnia user. I must admit it was a bit "buggy" when I first got it but I flashed the rom to a "clean" one (most apps removed) and now its great.
I use it in landscape mode when reading (using mobipocket) and set it to autoscroll.
Works flawlessly although as I'm a bit of a slow reader I have to increase the text size to maximum to comfortably keep up with the flow of text.
Petest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:36 PM   #14
giddion
Connoisseur
giddion doesn't littergiddion doesn't litter

Device: samsung i910 now - cybook later
I have the Omnia and so far I've very happy with it, I have mobipocket and the microsoft reader on it and I've found it very usable as an ereader. I'd find it much more usable if my GF hadn't basically stolen it from me to use as an ereader, when I walk in the door from work she steals it and curls up on the bed with it. I think she's on the 8th novel or so from Fictionwise.
giddion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:58 PM   #15
RandallFlagg
Hey Trashcan Man
RandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook color, prs 505, Axim x30, psp, Acer Aspire One [running xp]
I have the Omnia and just installed Microsoft Reader on it. How do I do page turns on it? Any other tricks I should know, I use the old reader on my dell axim x30, but it's got buttons
RandallFlagg is offline   Reply With Quote