Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-17-2014, 01:53 PM   #31
stutzj
Zealot
stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, PW2, Kindle 5(black)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stutzj View Post
Hmmm...the basic Kindle touch device releases October 2nd in Europe, a full month before the Kindle voyager. I wonder what the PPI is on it and if it has physical buttons. Might actually be more interested in this...
Actually the more I think about this, I think when the announcement is officially made, the basic touch Kindle will be available for order and shipping. I'm putting my money on that.

The Kindle Basic is also not available now on Amazon so I am guessing it will be releaseing very soon. I could see the price being $69 or maybe even $59. I would love to know more details. Probably will be 212 PPI. If it is lighter and thinner than the current PW with some kind of physical page turn button, I may have to pick this up.

Last edited by stutzj; 09-17-2014 at 02:01 PM.
stutzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 01:59 PM   #32
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
BTW, I bet Amazon is going to do press release/pre-order today.
That is what I am hoping.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2014, 02:16 PM   #33
DaveCanRead
Enthusiast
DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Paperwhite
Not sure the ppi increase justifies the price increase.
Would I be better off getting the pw2 now instead of waiting for Nov? Or will PW2 be discounted or dropped then?
DaveCanRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:20 PM   #34
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
I'd like to see how these page turn "sensors" work. I really miss the physical page turn buttons.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:47 PM   #35
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCanRead View Post
Not sure the ppi increase justifies the price increase.
Would I be better off getting the pw2 now instead of waiting for Nov? Or will PW2 be discounted or dropped then?
That's hard to say if there's a wide price difference between the new and old models. In the past when there wasn't a large price difference between them, discounts could be counted on. Now I'm not so sure. Depending on available stock, they may or may not discount. Or the stock could disappear and be reserved for sales to developing countries. Then again, the older models could be held back for discounts on Black Friday.

Such a decisive answer
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2014, 02:49 PM   #36
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apastuszak View Post
I'd like to see how these page turn "sensors" work. I really miss the physical page turn buttons.
Maybe they're cameras that'll track your eye movements for page turns
Old 09-17-2014, 02:59 PM   #37
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Wish they'd build in OverDrive so you could checkout library books directly from the device.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:00 PM   #38
stutzj
Zealot
stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, PW2, Kindle 5(black)
the Kindle Basic from the german page is described as having "ohne Spiegeleffekte" which, thanks to google translate, is "without mirror effect". Improved screen with no reflection at all? Just find it interesting that "no mirror effect" is listed in title.

...alright, now I'm being a bit obsessive...I need to go outside.
stutzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:04 PM   #39
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
And please, not the same boring old fonts.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:05 PM   #40
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
the Kindle Basic from the german page is described as having "ohne Spiegeleffekte" which, thanks to google translate, is "without mirror effect". Improved screen with no reflection at all? Just find it interesting that "no mirror effect" is listed in title.

...alright, now I'm being a bit obsessive...I need to go outside.
Well dang, now you can't tell if that person standing behind you is a vampire or not
Old 09-17-2014, 03:08 PM   #41
barsanuphe
Connoisseur
barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: PW2, Kobo H20, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Well dang, now you can't tell if that person standing behind you is a vampire or not
You can't even check if you are not a vampire yourself.
barsanuphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:08 PM   #42
Vroo
Zealot
Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of Kindles, PocketBook HD3/InkpadX, inkBOOK, Kobo
Quote:
the Kindle Basic from the german page is described as having "ohne Spiegeleffekte" which, thanks to google translate, is "without mirror effect". Improved screen with no reflection at all? Just find it interesting that "no mirror effect" is listed in title
The current Kindle is also described as "glare free" or "The matte screen reflects light like ordinary paper and uses no backlighting, so you can read as easily in bright sunlight as in your living room. Unlike tablet screens, Kindle has no glare."
- so I wouldn't expect any revolutionary changes here.
Vroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:11 PM   #43
ezzkmo
igloo appraiser
ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Keyboard
Yeah that "ohne Spiegeleffekte" line is plastered all over the current Amazon German Paperwhite page as well. So, basically the same (aside from the higher ppi).
ezzkmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:14 PM   #44
Trini
Connoisseur
Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs650
Yes! This would be great.
Trini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:20 PM   #45
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by barsanuphe View Post
You can't even check if you are not a vampire yourself.