Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #106
tkavan
Groupie
tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite
Dictionary on Android tablet

This is sort of off topic, and everyone may know it. I read my Kobo books both on my Kobo Glo, and with the Kobo app on my Samsung Galaxy tablet. On the Glo, long-pressing a word brings up the dictionary definition. On the tablet it brings up the definition, plus links to check out the word on Wikipedia or on Google. That's a very useful feature, since it allows you to check historical or other facts as well as just simple definitions.

On topic: I use a Websters dictionary on my Glo, and after every sync have to transfer it anew. It would be nice if Kobo would allow you in "settings" to set a default dictionary.
tkavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #107
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
I answer my own question about how penelope handles it: It doesn't even try to save some space by using the variant tag in cases where that's possible. Instead it just has a new word-definition-pair for each synonym, so that some definitions simply appear several times - this will blow up the dictionary significantly in certain cases (see penelope3.py, lines 1130-1132 and 1180-1197).

A really unfortunate dictionary format :-/
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2013, 12:28 PM   #108
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkavan View Post
This is sort of off topic, and everyone may know it. I read my Kobo books both on my Kobo Glo, and with the Kobo app on my Samsung Galaxy tablet. On the Glo, long-pressing a word brings up the dictionary definition. On the tablet it brings up the definition, plus links to check out the word on Wikipedia or on Google. That's a very useful feature, since it allows you to check historical or other facts as well as just simple definitions.

On topic: I use a Websters dictionary on my Glo, and after every sync have to transfer it anew. It would be nice if Kobo would allow you in "settings" to set a default dictionary.
If I remember correctly there is a hidden option (is not in the GUI) that will let you enable Google on the Glo
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #109
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
If I remember correctly there is a hidden option (is not in the GUI) that will let you enable Google on the Glo
See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=218376
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:40 PM   #110
drdrex
drdrex began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
How to make your own custom Kobo dictionaries

So, I wanted to make my own dictionaries as well and wanted to share my process with the rest of you:

http://wrttn.in/820037

Have fun!
drdrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2013, 08:32 AM   #111
boh!
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdrex View Post
So, I wanted to make my own dictionaries as well and wanted to share my process with the rest of you:

http://wrttn.in/820037

Have fun!
Hi, drdrex, first of thanks for the guide

But I have a nood question, at the end of the creation process I obtained ywo files: dict and and dict.idx
Then? I'll made the zip file?
Old 12-06-2013, 07:20 PM   #112
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Has anyone been able to get the Webster's 1913 dictionary to work as a if it were a secondary language dictionary on any E Ink Kobo device? I've had no trouble installing the WordNet dictionary as if it were the Nederlands dictionary (by renaming it to dicthtml-nl.zip), but no matter what language I try to rename the Webster's 1913 dictionary to on my Mini, Glo, Aura, or Aura HD, I get a message saying there's no dictionary installed. Thanks!
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:28 PM   #113
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
Has anyone been able to get the Webster's 1913 dictionary to work as a if it were a secondary language dictionary on any E Ink Kobo device? I've had no trouble installing the WordNet dictionary as if it were the Nederlands dictionary (by renaming it to dicthtml-nl.zip), but no matter what language I try to rename the Webster's 1913 dictionary to on my Mini, Glo, Aura, or Aura HD, I get a message saying there's no dictionary installed. Thanks!
I have it on both my Glo and AuraHD, renamed as dicthtml-pt.zip i.e. the Portuguese dictionary. It seems to work OK.

FWIW, I don't sync to Kobo Desktop very often, but I have noticed that my custom dictionaries don't always survive a sync and get replaced with the official versions. Simply recopying the custom one back seems to fix it, though.

Edit: FYI, the filesize is 11,635,543 bytes, just in case we're not talking about the same version.

Last edited by jackie_w; 12-06-2013 at 08:32 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:26 AM   #114
forster01
Groupie
forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle, Amazon Fire HD
I have a free dictionary made for kindle(prc), and i want to convert it to kobo. Can someone please help me with this one?

Last edited by forster01; 12-07-2013 at 10:52 AM.
forster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:44 AM   #115
gong
Enthusiast
gong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Mini (f/w 3.4.1) + Aura (f/w 3.12.1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
Hello, I don't know if it can help but I had problems too before I found out there was a zip inside the zip.
gong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:06 AM   #116
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by gong View Post
Hello, I don't know if it can help but I had problems too before I found out there was a zip inside the zip.
That's right. I did it that way to give a meaningful name to the .zip attached to the first post. So you need to unzip Websters1913.zip and copy the resulting dicthtml.zip to the Kobo. Full instructions are in my first post.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #117
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gong View Post
D'oh! Thank you! Yes, that was my problem: I hadn't realized that we had to unzip the zip file for this particular dictionary.

All best wishes!
Old 12-11-2013, 12:45 AM   #118
RobertJSawyer
Guru

I've tried two tricks to keep my Kobo units from overwriting the custom dictionaries with the default versions (I have Wordnet installed as Deutsch and Webster's 1913 as Nederlands), but neither worked: I tried setting the files to read-only attributes, and I tried giving them file dates in the future (2014) so that the Kobo might think that these were more recent than the ones it would otherwise replace them with. But nothing seems to stop the damn overwriting of the custom dictionaries.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:23 AM   #119
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The device database has a "Dictionary" table. This has columns "Size" and "LastModified". Have you tried setting these? "Size" is the file size of the dictionary and "LastModified" is a timestamp. I would set this to either the same as the file timestamp, or somewhere in the future.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:28 PM   #120
RobertJSawyer
Guru

Davidfor, I've never played around with modifying the database. But I hope someone more knowledgeable of such things will give your suggestion a try! I'd love to have this problem solved.