Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-11-2012, 01:08 PM   #1
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Affirmation Mechanisms

I can't be the only writer on the board who struggles with this, so open thread for coping/affirmation mechanisms ahoy!

I'm fortunate in that I have a very engaged and vocal readership, but I've noticed that if one person shreds my writing in a "I hate everything about it, trash it all and start over" kind of way, I tend to take that to heart really seriously and forget the twenty other people who said they loved it. I suspect this is a human bias condition where I'm remembering criticism and forgetting praise (or rationalizing it as people being nice, polite, etc.).

So. What are your mechanisms for continuing to write in the face of bad reviews, lackluster sales, angry beta readers, and so forth? SHARE.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:11 PM   #2
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
I wish I could get reviews at all. I've only gotten one that I can remember, on a piece of fic I GPLed on deviantArt, and that was because I'd mentioned to the other person that I was going to be working on one she might be interested in.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #3
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
My problem [if any ] is over confidence.
If some idiots don't like it, then it is their problem.

That doesn't mean that I don't take note, and will never
adjust because if the dislike is widespread then I am
wasting my efforts.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
My answer to most areas of stress and distress over the last few years has been to write about it - privately. I have found it a wonderful way to get things off my chest, like talking to a shrink (or so I imagine), but without the new stress of paying for it.

From significant ones (...not saying, but there's been a few...) to minor ones - like arguments on forums (never here of course , you know the joke: I can't go to bed now, someone's wrong on the Internet!). Instead of continuing the argument online and in public I write exactly what I want to write, as much as I want to write, but I never send it. It sits in a folder of miscellaneous rantings and consumes my frustrations for me ... well, enough that I find I can sleep better.

ETA: Such writings are not always a direct response to the original irritation, sometimes they're a more emotive response or simply where the whole thing has led me - which is often quite wide of where it started.

Last edited by gmw; 08-11-2012 at 07:54 PM.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #5
bigjantailor
Defender of Consciousness
bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This is what I try to do about critizm I do not like:

1. Take a drink (no bad coping mechanizm)
2. Take a breath
3. Read the critizim again to see if I read it right
4. Judge if the critizim is about the substance of the work or the technique
- if it is substanive and not for reason like logical flaws in plot, it the critics problem
- if it is a technique judge if it is valid and change or exept your flaw
5. If you still feel hurt that ok but remember someone has care to read and critique
6. If the critic is rational tell the person your thankful for the critizm and what you think of it IN A NICE WAY!
7. If you are still angry write a graditude list about what makes you write.

Finally, throw something that will smash, then burn something symbolic of the critic and curse.

Or understand that no one is liked by everyone and there are better ways of finding praise then writing.

Have fun, Jan
bigjantailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2012, 10:28 PM   #6
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I kick people in the face, repeatedly. It really helps with the stress.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #7
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You will receive 3 types of comments on your stories:

1. Positive comments. Take comfort in knowing that each of these is one more person who liked your book. Forget about the ones who didn't.

2. Constructive criticism. Read it, analyze it, decide whether you agree with it. If so, learn from it. If not, forget it.

3. Trash talking. Just tell yourself that you write for a more sophisticated reader than someone who doesn't understand the concept of constructive criticism. Since they're not your target audience, their opinion doesn't matter.
fidvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #8
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Always accept the fact that not everyone will like the things you write. (I write science fiction, so for me, that part is easy!) But consider constructive criticism, as it might point out areas in which you can improve your writing or storytelling.

And don't forget: Just because someone tells you something is a problem, doesn't mean it is a problem to anyone but them. Consider the suggestion, but don't just change something because someone on the intertubes told you to.

Criticism of the "I hate everything about it, trash it all and start over" variety can be dismissed out-of-hand. Any criticism that isn't considered and specific is meaningless raving.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #9
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
I kick people in the face, repeatedly. It really helps with the stress.
I like that.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:25 PM   #10
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I like that.
Yep. It is very effective. Not to mention it can be a nice work out too, making you less stressed, and healthier at the same time.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:44 PM   #11
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Yep. It is very effective. Not to mention it can be a nice work out too, making you less stressed, and healthier at the same time.
I had written about 30 lines, bringing in such props as my wilderness toys, and dangerous climbs, and my pet ancient military jeep and chasing after the malefactors along the steep trail until I ran them off into the abyss, but I realized that I was just diluting the experience with too much formulation.

The better response was
"I just kick them off the cliff."

but you got there first.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:27 AM   #12
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I had written about 30 lines, bringing in such props as my wilderness toys, and dangerous climbs, and my pet ancient military jeep and chasing after the malefactors along the steep trail until I ran them off into the abyss, but I realized that I was just diluting the experience with too much formulation.

The better response was
"I just kick them off the cliff."

but you got there first.

The difference is you probably think I am joking...
Old 08-13-2012, 06:35 AM   #13
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I don't kick people in the face but I do take long walks twice a day.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:22 AM   #14
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I don't kick people in the face but I do take long walks twice a day.
I've tried that one - my main problem is that sometimes I feel like I should just keep walking.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:27 AM   #15
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I've tried that one - my main problem is that sometimes I feel like I should just keep walking.
That's why I take a circular route.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote