Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-21-2011, 03:17 PM   #1
Kore
Enthusiast
Kore began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Proper way to format eBooks...

I dislike the font that my Sony Reader uses by default, so I wanna change it. As well as the page margins.

I've researched a couple different methods to do so, but I don't know which one is the 'proper' way to do it.

1. By editing the epub in calibre and changing the settings there. This would require stripping the DRM of the books that have it.
2. By installing PRS+ and adding a overriding CSS file.

I also have another question... what exactly do people edit in their eBooks? I tried looking at the books' source code (I am a programmer) and it's not neat at all... but I doubt anyone goes around tweaking that, as it would be a huge time sink for no improvement.. unless you're overhauling everything about the book.

Is Calibre's convert options only when converting between formats, or is it used to re-format things?

Sorry, I am a newbie when it comes to eBook formatting and I am trying to educate myself! however I haven't been able to find any conventions or detailed tutorials as to how it should be done.

Last edited by Kore; 04-21-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Kore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:51 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kore View Post
I dislike the font that my Sony Reader uses by default, so I wanna change it. As well as the page margins.

I've researched a couple different methods to do so, but I don't know which one is the 'proper' way to do it.

1. By editing the epub in calibre and changing the settings there. This would require stripping the DRM of the books that have it.

I also have another question... what exactly do people edit in their eBooks? I tried looking at the books' source code (I am a programmer) and it's not neat at all... but I doubt anyone goes around tweaking that, as it would be a huge time sink for no improvement.. unless you're overhauling everything about the book.

Is Calibre's convert options only when converting between formats, or is it used to re-format things?

Sorry, I am a newbie when it comes to eBook formatting and I am trying to educate myself! however I haven't been able to find any conventions or detailed tutorials as to how it should be done.
Calibre (or most programs, like Sigil) can't convert/reformat a DRM infested book
Nuff said
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
Kore
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Calibre (or most programs, like Sigil) can't convert/reformat a DRM infested book
Nuff said
Define... 'infested' ?
Old 04-21-2011, 06:38 PM   #4
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Define... 'infested' ?
infest - live on or in a host, as of parasites.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:55 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
To change the margins this is really your best bet.

Quote:
I use this on my 505 and my Son's 300 and have set up 5 different fonts with css that we can change on the fly. A great option for changing fonts of both books with DRM or without DRM.

Quote:
I also have another question... what exactly do people edit in their eBooks?
I remove the DRM from all of my purchased books and run them through calibre to make it easier for my old eyes. I increase the base font and if needed insert spaces between paragraphs and apply an indent to the beginning of each paragraph. This allows me to avoid the need for reading glasses.

Quote:
I use it for both, but some formatting can change during conversion / reformatting and you have to proof the books afterwards to make sure they are within the parameters you're comfortable with.

I also use Sigil on occasion to do fine tuning for quick Search and replaces to smooth out wrinkles in the final product.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2011, 12:52 AM   #6
Kore
Enthusiast

How do I change the way that my books show up in my Sony Reader? some of them are appearing as the first page of the book (which is ugly). I want them to appear as the pretty cover that they have...
Old 04-22-2011, 03:51 PM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
How do I change the way that my books show up in my Sony Reader? some of them are appearing as the first page of the book (which is ugly). I want them to appear as the pretty cover that they have...
Are you talking about your book not having the correct cover as page 1 of the book? If so you need to convert your book (most likely to epub). As long as you have the cover you want on the Edit Metadata page it will be on page 1 of the converted epub. You will not be able to convert any book which has DRM.

Or are you talking about your book not having the correct thumbnail on the Sony? If so try Preferences - Plugins - Device Interface - Sony - Customize and check the box labelled Upload separate cover thumbnails for books. This will work for all books (epub, pdf, rtf, txt) whether they have DRM or not.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:09 PM   #8
Kore
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Are you talking about your book not having the correct cover as page 1 of the book? If so you need to convert your book (most likely to epub). As long as you have the cover you want on the Edit Metadata page it will be on page 1 of the converted epub. You will not be able to convert any book which has DRM.

Or are you talking about your book not having the correct thumbnail on the Sony? If so try Preferences - Plugins - Device Interface - Sony - Customize and check the box labelled Upload separate cover thumbnails for books. This will work for all books (epub, pdf, rtf, txt) whether they have DRM or not.
Thank you! Cover thumbnails is what I wanted.