Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-06-2011, 11:14 AM   #1
baliantas
baliantas began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Question PRS-350 only partially displays embedded font

Hello,

I've created an epub in Sigil (0.4.2) where I use an embedded font. This works just fine in ADE (and in Sigil 'Book View'), but on my PRS-350 (running PRS+ 2.0.14), the headers (h1 tags) are shown in the default font.

The css:
Code:
@font-face {
font-family : "Fontin";
font-weight : normal;
font-style : normal;
src : url(../Fonts/Fontin.ttf);
}

h1 {
font-family : "Fontin", serif;
font-size : 2.55em;
color : #36292c;
text-align : center;
}

p {
font-size : 0.75em;
}

.fntn {
font-family : "Fontin", serif;
font-size : 1.55em;
text-align : center;
}
Relevant html code:
Code:
  <h1>Test header</h1>
 <p class="fntn">Test sub</p>

Could anyone enlighten me on what's going on here? Thanks...
Attached Files
File Type: epub type - Unknown.epub (24.5 KB, 245 views)
baliantas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:57 AM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I tried your epub on my PRS650. Both headings are displayed in Fontin and the main body text is displayed in the Sony default serif font. See attached screencap.

I'm not sure what your goal is, but if you're using PRSPlus you wouldn't normally need to fully embed any fonts. Usually you'd
  • create a /fonts directory on your PRS350 and copy in all the font files you might want to use
  • create one or more css files which reference the fonts in that directory. You then select one of them via PRS+ Settings - Book Viewer - User EPUB Style (CSS File)

All epubs will then use that css file until you select a different css file.

If you are going to fully embed the fonts inside the epub then you should probably choose the 'Disabled' option from the above PRSPlus menu.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fontin.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	78688  
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:46 PM   #3
baliantas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
If you are going to fully embed the fonts inside the epub then you should probably choose the 'Disabled' option from the above PRSPlus menu.
Not fully; I would leave the main text as is. Just for the headers, I wanted to override the Sony/Prs+ defaults.

I just had a go and disabled the Prs+ font override. And to my surprise, the headers are now displayed as defined in the css (=with the embedded font)!

Very strange...

Note: I agree you can load fonts on the reader instead of embedding, but it would be nice to at least be able to embed the more exotic fonts...
Old 11-07-2011, 02:13 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by baliantas View Post
I just had a go and disabled the Prs+ font override. And to my surprise, the headers are now displayed as defined in the css (=with the embedded font)!
Do I understand correctly? You disabled the PRS+ font CSS you created to override the fonts in the ePub books you read on your 350. Now that the PRS+ font override CSS is disabled the embedded fonts in your ePub work on your 350 as expected. And you're surprised?

Quote:
Originally Posted by baliantas View Post
Very strange...
You obviously have more experience than I do. Wallowing in my own ignorance, none of this seems either surprising or strange. I am curious, why do you find this "very strange"?

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 11-07-2011 at 02:16 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:01 AM   #5
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
What dwanthny said. One of PRS+'s many purposes is to override the existing fonts used. It sounds like it's doing a beautiful job of it.

If you want a custom font but only to replace the default font, but still leave any embedded font the .epub calls for, delete the term "!important" from your .css file and see if it doesn't make you happier and work the way you want it.

Most people however want their own preferred font even over the exotic fonts an epub might have embedded, so that's why we use PRS+. It's easier on our eyes, especially when reading for longer periods.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:35 AM   #6
baliantas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Do I understand correctly? You disabled the PRS+ font CSS you created to override the fonts in the ePub books you read on your 350. Now that the PRS+ font override CSS is disabled the embedded fonts in your ePub work on your 350 as expected. And you're surprised?

You obviously have more experience than I do. Wallowing in my own ignorance, none of this seems either surprising or strange. I am curious, why do you find this "very strange"?
I've found the culprit: I had some css files on my Sony that I put there when I installed another custom firmware (probably Boroda). And it was these files that I inspected for some h1 override font. There was nothing there. (Hence my surprise: I specified a custom font in the epub ccs, and it simply ignored it...)
But obviously, Prs+ takes its css files from another folder. And there I found a "font-family" item for all h1 headers.

I'm quite happy that this is solved!
Old 11-07-2011, 07:49 AM   #7
baliantas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Most people however want their own preferred font even over the exotic fonts an epub might have embedded, so that's why we use PRS+. It's easier on our eyes, especially when reading for longer periods.
I do too, as far as the main text is concerned. But sometimes specific fonts are used for titles, quotes, footnotes etc.

An example: I have an epub of "Art History for Dummies". The main text is in a font I don't like (Cheltenham), so I did an override and used Fontin instead.
However, the image captions use Univers. This font is better suited for its purpose than Fontin, so I want to keep the embedded font.

So in some cases, a mix of embedded + custom fonts is what I want.

I'm a very demanding person...

I hope this clarifies (a bit) my original question/difficulty. Thanks for the reply!

Tags
css, embedded fonts, prs+, prs-350