Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 05-07-2008, 04:40 PM   #1
amadecasa
amadecasa began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Question Can I Buy Kindle books to read on my Sony?

Thanks to someones post, I was able to easily convert my MS Reader files to read on my New Sony 505.

Is there a converter that I can use to buy and read Kindle books on my Sony 505?

Thanks!
d
amadecasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:49 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by amadecasa View Post
Is there a converter that I can use to buy and read Kindle books on my Sony 505?
Out of the box... no.

That said, it's possible there is a way to remove the DRM from a Kindle book. But, I haven't heard about it. also, I don't think you can buy kindle books unless you have a Kindle registered to your Amazon account anyway.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2008, 08:00 PM   #3
macgeek21
macgeek21 began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
if i was able to buy a kindle book how would i remove the drm?
macgeek21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:53 PM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
we aren't allowed to discuss such activities here, perhaps you could Google for solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek21 View Post
if i was able to buy a kindle book how would i remove the drm?
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:09 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Out of the box... no.

That said, it's possible there is a way to remove the DRM from a Kindle book. But, I haven't heard about it. also, I don't think you can buy kindle books unless you have a Kindle registered to your Amazon account anyway.

BOb
Only azw (I think that's the file type) files though right? Some of the Kindle books are a new format called tpz of something like that, from what I've read the encryption is different than the Mobipocket DRM the azw files use.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2008, 11:12 PM   #6
palex481
Connoisseur
palex481 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505
If you are going to go to this much trouble to violate the DMCA, you might as well just download illegal versions off the net. It would save you lots of hassle.

The legality would be the same. Morally speaking, you might feel better about buying and then stripping the DRM, but either way you would be violating DMCA.
palex481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:39 PM   #7
macgeek21
macgeek21 began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
so you support laws that violate simple human rights that once I buy something I own it and should be able to do anything I want with it.
macgeek21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:43 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It doesn't matter how easy it is to remove the DRM and then convert Kindle eBooks. The fact of the matter is that unless you own a Kindle, you cannot purchase them from Amazon. It's not a matter of your rights being violated. It's a matter of you don't own a Kindle so why do you need to know how to remove the DRM from eBooks you cannot legally get a hold of?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:33 AM   #9
palex481
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek21 View Post
so you support laws that violate simple human rights that once I buy something I own it and should be able to do anything I want with it.

See but you don't own the ebook. You buy a license to use it. In the new digital era, you don't own things. Thats why you forfeit the right to sell them or transfer them to other people. You can not sell that which you do not own.

I never said I supported the law either. Just making a point of if you are going to break the law, why go to more trouble than its worth.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:32 AM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If both are available, buy the LIT version over the MOBI/AZW because LIT is a less processed version of the OEB ebook format than MOBI.

If there is no LIT version, then see Mobipocket Decoder Tool and be prepared to spend some time with Google and python.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 11:40 AM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palex481 View Post
See but you don't own the ebook. You buy a license to use it. In the new digital era, you don't own things. Thats why you forfeit the right to sell them or transfer them to other people. You can not sell that which you do not own.
Interesting. Can you show me on an eBook store where this is stated? Not that I don't belive you, I've just never seen that in writing.

BOb
Old 05-18-2008, 12:04 AM   #12
palex481
Connoisseur

From the Sony Ebook Store Terms of Service:

7.7. Restriction on Use Related to Content. The license granted to you hereunder does not convey to you any of the following: (a) reproduction or promotional use rights in the Content (e.g., any uses that implicate or require public performance or print music rights, or any use that would result in the commercial redistribution of the Content or the musical composition underlying the Content), (b) rights to enter into arrangements with any revenue-generating broadcast system (terrestrial, satellite, cable and/or other distribution channels), (c) rights to distribute or redistribute Content on streaming applications (via Internet, intranets and/or other networks), (d) rights to distribute to others Content on other content distribution systems (pay-audio or audio-on-demand applications and the like) or on physical media (compact discs, digital versatile discs, semiconductor chips, hard drives, memory cards and the like), or (e) commercial, sale, resale, reproduction, distribution or promotional use rights for the Content. Any digital rights management solution that is provided with Content is an inseparable part. If you have Content, it is your responsibility not to lose, destroy or damage such Content.

Part e: says you don't have the right for sale or resale. Basically you are giving up the right to the First Sale doctrine, "The doctrine allows the purchaser to transfer (i.e., sell or give away) a particular lawfully made copy of the copyrighted work without permission once it has been obtained."(Wikipedia)

Now whether such terms of serivce are legally binding and would hold up, I don't know. IANAL.

Last edited by palex481; 05-18-2008 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:23 AM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

What is that from, the Kindle license?

To me "Commercial sale or resale" and "transfer of license" are two different things.

Although the DRM of the Kindle is set up in such a way that is it virtually impossible to transfer the license of an ebook to someone elses kindle. I think they should add this to the system though as selling used books is a good way for people to generate income to buy new books.

BOb
Old 05-18-2008, 03:20 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Interesting. Can you show me on an eBook store where this is stated? Not that I don't belive you, I've just never seen that in writing.

BOb
From the Fictionwise "Terms of Service" page:

All eBooks at Fictionwise.com are the exclusive property of the publisher or its licensors and is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws. The download of these product(s) is intended for the Fictionwise Member's personal and noncommercial use. Any other use of eBooks downloaded from Fictionwise.com is strictly prohibited. Users may not modify, transmit, publish, participate in the transfer or sale of, reproduce, create derivative works from, distribute, perform, display, or in any way exploit, any of the content of these product(s), in whole or in part. By downloading Fictionwise eBooks, the User hereby acknowledges and agrees to these terms.

Emphasis mine. As you see, you don't own books that you download from fictionwise (they remain the "exclusive property of the publisher or its licensors") and you can't "transfer or sell" them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 11:29 AM   #15
palex481
Connoisseur

I should have mentioned that was Sony's TOS, but I am sure Amazon's is similar