Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-19-2009, 03:22 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
now, boys and girls, the moral here, is not to trust anybody with a RED sony !!!!
That leaves me out. I have a blue one.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:32 PM   #32
David J. Guyton
Connoisseur
David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
When I was a little kid, every morning before school my mom would tell me "Remember you're a Guyton." She meant to behave myself and treat others honorably.

I guess I am just too proud of my own name (or rather, any honor perceived associated with it) to put any other name on something I am proud of. I understand that other writers want to branch out kind of secretly, but I don't care to do that.

I go by David J. Guyton because there is already a famous doctor (and author) Dr. David Guyton

Never met the guy but he lives somewhere near me as I am near Baltimore.
David J. Guyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:36 PM   #33
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Strangely enough I can publish under 2 separate names as I have two birth certificates Okay, so one of them isn't legal anymore, but I was called by that name and legally certified under that name for a whole year, so I reckon I can use it.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:45 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David J. Guyton View Post
I go by David J. Guyton because there is already a famous doctor (and author) Dr. David Guyton

Never met the guy but he lives somewhere near me as I am near Baltimore.
Is there a way to get your eBook Mighty Hammer Down in any other reflowable format other than AZW? Without DRM perhaps if the answer is yes?
Old 03-19-2009, 04:10 PM   #35
David J. Guyton
Connoisseur
David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is there a way to get your eBook Mighty Hammer Down in any other reflowable format other than AZW? Without DRM perhaps if the answer is yes?
Right now all I have available for sale is Kindle and paperback...however I have a review copy I can send you in PDF for free if you really want it. email me at d@davidjguyton.com

I'm not really familiar with DRM...I know it's Digital Rights Management right? I don't know how that affects anything. (forgive me I have no ebook reader of any kind yet)

Last edited by David J. Guyton; 03-19-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:15 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by David J. Guyton View Post
Right now all I have available for sale is Kindle and paperback...however I have a review copy I can send you in PDF for free if you really want it. email me at d@davidjguyton

I'm not really familiar with DRM...I know it's Digital Rights Management right? I don't know how that affects anything. (forgive me I have no ebook reader of any kind yet)
DRM is Digital Rights Management where our rights are controlled and mostly taken away from us. Thanks to the DMCA, we have to break the law to be able to get our fair use.

What format file did you send to Amazon to convert into a Kindle Edition?

If you start off with a well made HTML file, you can use Calibre to convert into MS Reader, LRF, Mobipocket, and ePub. Then you'll have versions that will satisfy most people.

Unfortunately, PDF just isn't an eBook format. It's a page layout format.

I did check out your listing on Amazon and there are some good comments (did not read them all) and that got me interested.

Are you interested in having other formats available for non-Kindle owners?
Old 03-19-2009, 04:46 PM   #37
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
DRM is Digital Rights Management where our rights are controlled and mostly taken away from us. Thanks to the DMCA, we have to break the law to be able to get our fair use.
Jon, with all due respect, let's try to be a bit more clear about DRM, other than making clear we don't like it!

David, DRM is designed to tie purchased content to a specific device (or a few), so it cannot be shared beyond those devices, and potentially flood the market with copies of a product that will not earn the publisher any income (which is why publishers like DRM).

Which sounds like a fine idea, but DRM A) has been known to prevent consumers from transferring a bought product to a new legitimate device, especially when the company that issued the DRM'd product goes out of business, making it impossible to upgrade to a new device (and with the e-book market, this has happened far too often... this is why consumers hate DRM). DRM also B) makes it difficult or impossible to convert an e-book from one format to another, often necessary due to the multitude of formats and readers. Unfortunately, though DRM is often breakable, it is also C) supported by the DCMA, a federal law, making it illegal to circumvent in many cases.

So, consumers want restriction-free content, and publishers are sure that restriction-free content will cost them more than they will profit... and so far, a lack of acceptable (to all parties) alternatives has left the e-book universe at an impasse regarding DRM.

And that's it in a gnarled little nutshell.

By the way: Although PDFs aren't preferred by most e-book consumers, tagged PDFs can be perfectly good (though large) e-book formats, depending on the device used to read them and the PDF software loaded on it.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 05:09 PM   #38
David J. Guyton
Connoisseur

Ok yeah that is basically what I assumed DRM was thanks.

Yes the file I uploaded was originally HTML. I will work on getting these different formats together....are there major sites people go to for these different formats? I know there's mobipocket, and amazon obviously....not sure where to advertise the others.

I have given out the PDF before and I was told that it works on the Sony (although I don't know which version).
Old 03-20-2009, 11:59 AM   #39
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
That leaves me out. I have a blue one.

seems my eyesight is getting worse as I age ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Jon, with all due respect, let's try to be a bit more clear about DRM, other than making clear we don't like it!

David, DRM is designed to tie purchased content to a specific device (or a few), so it cannot be shared beyond those devices, and potentially flood the market with copies of a product that will not earn the publisher any income (which is why publishers like DRM).

Which sounds like a fine idea, but DRM A) has been known to prevent consumers from transferring a bought product to a new legitimate device, especially when the company that issued the DRM'd product goes out of business, making it impossible to upgrade to a new device (and with the e-book market, this has happened far too often... this is why consumers hate DRM). DRM also B) makes it difficult or impossible to convert an e-book from one format to another, often necessary due to the multitude of formats and readers. Unfortunately, though DRM is often breakable, it is also C) supported by the DCMA, a federal law, making it illegal to circumvent in many cases.

So, consumers want restriction-free content, and publishers are sure that restriction-free content will cost them more than they will profit... and so far, a lack of acceptable (to all parties) alternatives has left the e-book universe at an impasse regarding DRM.

And that's it in a gnarled little nutshell.

By the way: Although PDFs aren't preferred by most e-book consumers, tagged PDFs can be perfectly good (though large) e-book formats, depending on the device used to read them and the PDF software loaded on it.

with knobs on !!!
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote