Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-29-2012, 10:58 PM   #1021
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl View Post
and, on a side note...
Those of you that use Calibre to side load your books, 2.1.1 is not fully supported as I found out tonight, yes, you can load your books onto the kobo 2.1.1 but...Calibre sends up a warning that you cannot delete, and some other things which I cannot remember off the top of my head with this firmware and the most recent release of Calibre. Just letting you know.
That sounds like the message that calibre has had since either 0.8.59 or 0.8.60. This has been extensively discussed here. The latest response for this is at the end of https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=188947.

I suppose I should add a caveat: I am saying the above without any experience with 2.1.1 as it won't install on my Touch. If someone who has it installed can check the DBVersion of the database on the device, then we can tell. I am expecting it to be either 53 or 55. If it is one of those numbers or lower, calibre is safe with it. If it is higher, calibre is probably safe, but I would need to see the actual differences in the database structure to to be sure.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:58 PM   #1022
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
Quote:
and, on a side note...
Those of you that use Calibre to side load your books, 2.1.1 is not fully supported as I found out tonight, yes, you can load your books onto the kobo 2.1.1 but...Calibre sends up a warning that you cannot delete, and some other things which I cannot remember off the top of my head with this firmware and the most recent release of Calibre. Just letting you know.
I've been removing via Calibre just fine with 2.1.1.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:42 AM   #1023
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
and, on a side note...
Never noticed that with mine. Linux version of Calibre - if that makes a difference.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:49 AM   #1024
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That sounds like the message that calibre has had since either 0.8.59 or 0.8.60. This has been extensively discussed here. The latest response for this is at the end of https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=188947.

I suppose I should add a caveat: I am saying the above without any experience with 2.1.1 as it won't install on my Touch. If someone who has it installed can check the DBVersion of the database on the device, then we can tell. I am expecting it to be either 53 or 55. If it is one of those numbers or lower, calibre is safe with it. If it is higher, calibre is probably safe, but I would need to see the actual differences in the database structure to to be sure.
Where do I look to find that for you?
Old 08-30-2012, 01:10 AM   #1025
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
Where do I look to find that for you?
On the device in the directory ".kobo" is an SQLite database called "KoboReader.sqlite". Open that with a SQLite viewer and look in the table DBVersion. There is a single entry for the database version.

If your reaction to the above is "What?", don't worry, someone will come up with the info.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:13 AM   #1026
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by antxc View Post
I'm in Australia and it worked for me. Was on 2.0.0c when I did the upgrade. The first time it looked like it worked but was still on 2.0.0c when it turned back on. Second time round it upgraded without issue.
Does this mean that you:
  • were on 2.0.0c
  • manually loaded the 2.1.1 update package to \.kobo directory
  • pulled the USB so it updated
  • was 2.0.0c
  • was 2.1.1
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:13 AM   #1027
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
I'm in Australia.
I was on 2.0.0 (that I updated from the Desktop app when it was first released)
I manually upzipped the 2.1.1 update into the .kobo directory
When it finished I did the "safely eject thingo"
THEN I removed the USB
Then the kobo did it's update.
Then I was on 2.1.1

Interestingly I thought my Kobo wanted to keep Square Dancing for a few minutes but just as I was almost starting to panic it all finished.

I haven't needed to add or remove anything via Calibre yet so I don't know how that will work.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:32 AM   #1028
Corpsegoddess
Groupie
Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Two things for beta testers and/or devs that might be looking at this thread (to pass information along):

1. I've discovered *what* makes the device restart when searching for books to add to my shelf, but not why. If you do the search *before* adding books, it works fine. If you add books to your shelf and THEN do a search, it causes the device to reset when you choose your search result.

2. For the second time now, I'm having problems with my device freezing mid-update by wifi. The first time, I sent in an email to tech support, and they suggested I do a factory reset (*sigh*). So, I did. After setting up all my shelves (AGAIN), the problem has once again reappeared, which makes me think it's somehow connected to the number of books per shelf--because this is exactly when the problem showed up the first time.

I have several shelves that have 100+ books. I'm not sure exactly what the problem number is, or if this *is* the problem, but all I *do* know is that both times I've completed filling my shelves, my wifi update can no longer complete; the update freezes, which causes the entire device to freeze.
Corpsegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:17 AM   #1029
Erkhyan
Erkhyan can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Erkhyan can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Erkhyan can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Erkhyan can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Erkhyan can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Erkhyan can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Erkhyan can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Erkhyan can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Erkhyan can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Erkhyan can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Erkhyan can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Device: Kobo Touch
A user from Madagascar here, with a Kobo originally acquired in Australia.

Update 2.1.1 worked fine for me (manual update from 2.0.0c), but I still have a problem with updating/deleting books. Whether I do it manually or through Calibre, either of two problems happens once I unplug the Kobo from my computer:
  • the updated book simply disappears from my library (despite the file being obviously present), or
  • the Kobo touch only detects and displays half a dozen books (the last ones in alphabetical order) in my library instead of the roughly 150 books that should be there (and were there before).
That’s a problem I also had with update 2.0.0c, but not with 1.9.17
Erkhyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:29 AM   #1030
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
On the device in the directory ".kobo" is an SQLite database called "KoboReader.sqlite". Open that with a SQLite viewer and look in the table DBVersion. There is a single entry for the database version.

If your reaction to the above is "What?", don't worry, someone will come up with the info.
It is 55.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:46 AM   #1031
antxc
antxc began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Does this mean that you:
  • were on 2.0.0c
  • was 2.0.0c
  • was 2.1.1
Yep, that is exactly how it worked. Not sure what happened the first time, but I am glad it worked the second time - those slow page turns are a killer.
antxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:59 AM   #1032
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by antxc View Post
Yep, that is exactly how it worked. Not sure what happened the first time, but I am glad it worked the second time - those slow page turns are a killer.

Maybe I'll try this double-upgrade process then. *off to fiddle*

*ETA* Annnd... nope. demibricked on a frozen hourglass, and it even took a few goes to get it to do a factory reset.

And now I'm trying this upgrade on a straight factory reset _before_ connecting the device to Kobo Desktop. Last time I factory reset, then connected and registered it and quit the Desktop before attempting the upgrade.

*Square dance!* *Square dance!* *Square dance!* *Square dance!* I guess I'll leave these squares dancing a half hour or so, just in case it eventually manages to update.

Last edited by meeera; 08-30-2012 at 04:57 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:18 AM   #1033
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsegoddess View Post
Two things for beta testers and/or devs that might be looking at this thread (to pass information along):

1. I've discovered *what* makes the device restart when searching for books to add to my shelf, but not why. If you do the search *before* adding books, it works fine. If you add books to your shelf and THEN do a search, it causes the device to reset when you choose your search result.
I can reproduce that with 2.0.2. Here's what I did as I wasn't completely sure of your steps:

- Open the shelves list
- Press the plus to add a new shelf
- Enter a name and press "Next"
- Press the plus to add books
- Press the plus next to at least two books to add them to the shelf
- Press the search icon to find books to add to the shelf
- Enter a search term
- Select the result for a book (selecting an author seems to be OK)
- The Touch restarts

That is a consistent crash for me.

Quote:
2. For the second time now, I'm having problems with my device freezing mid-update by wifi. The first time, I sent in an email to tech support, and they suggested I do a factory reset (*sigh*). So, I did. After setting up all my shelves (AGAIN), the problem has once again reappeared, which makes me think it's somehow connected to the number of books per shelf--because this is exactly when the problem showed up the first time.

I have several shelves that have 100+ books. I'm not sure exactly what the problem number is, or if this *is* the problem, but all I *do* know is that both times I've completed filling my shelves, my wifi update can no longer complete; the update freezes, which causes the entire device to freeze.
You are a patient person if you are willing to build those shelves. I haven't tested that one. But, I have quickly built a shelf with 333 books on it and will try it when I some time to do the WiFi part of it. It's the time that it takes after the reset that's the problem.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:21 AM   #1034
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
It is 55.
That is good and what I expected. This database version was rolled out through the desktop app a little while ago. I have had it on my Touch with firmware 2.0.2 for at least a couple of weeks. calibre has no problems with it.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:05 AM   #1035
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkhyan View Post
A user from Madagascar here, with a Kobo originally acquired in Australia.

Update 2.1.1 worked fine for me (manual update from 2.0.0c), but I still have a problem with updating/deleting books. Whether I do it manually or through Calibre, either of two problems happens once I unplug the Kobo from my computer:
  • the updated book simply disappears from my library (despite the file being obviously present), or
  • the Kobo touch only detects and displays half a dozen books (the last ones in alphabetical order) in my library instead of the roughly 150 books that should be there (and were there before).
That’s a problem I also had with update 2.0.0c, but not with 1.9.17
My experience with 2.0.0 was that if I changed a file on the Touch in any way, it would get deleted when the Touch was disconnected. This wasn't just removing the book from the library, but also deleting the file. This didn't happen with 1.9.17. 2.0.2 would sometimes delete it, but, only with some changes to the file.

There has also been problems in the past where processing the books would stop on one bad one. Any after that were not processed.

So:

- The next time you connect to the computer, is the file definitely there?
- When you disconnect, do the other books get processed?