Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-17-2010, 12:33 PM   #1
jer989
Enthusiast
jer989 doesn't litterjer989 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HD
Trying to setup an automated system to backup kindle...

Most of the books/docs on my kindle are not from Amazon (and therefore not archived by Amazon), so I made a batch file that copies any newly added files on my kindle (latest-gen) to a folder on my WinXP PC - (this works fine, the batch file is in the root of my kindle and runs from there without a problem) - but when I tried to automate it (so that the batch file runs whenever I plug in my Kindle to USB) by creating an autorun.inf file tht calls the batch file - - when I tried to copy the autorun.inf to the root of my K3 it just tells me Access Denied (error copying, disk full, etc...)

Does anyone here know why that would be? I've read somewhere that the system files partition of the Kindle doesn't even get mounted when you plug it into a computer via USB - I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it???

The attached zip file has the autorun and batch files if anyone is interested...
Attached Files
File Type: zip Kindle backup files.zip (227.2 KB, 241 views)
jer989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:16 PM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
You get an error when it runs or when you try to copy autorun.inf there?

Nothing in/on the Kindle should stop you from creating an autorun.inf

I don't think your idea will work properly anyway. Newer versions of Windows disabled autorun on non optical drives like flash drives. Older versions of Windows like XP got patched to disabled it as well.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:59 PM   #3
jer989
Enthusiast
jer989 doesn't litterjer989 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HD
I created the autorun.inf file on my PC, then tried to copy it to the Kindle root and got the access denied message as I attempted to copy the file to the Kindle.

I now tried creating a .txt file in the Kindle root and then re-named that file to autorun.inf - which it let me do (but did complain about) - unfortunately now when I try to delete that file (which is empty) I get the access denied message again! the file is not read-only, and I tried doing it from Win XP file explorer, as well as from the command line (del) - and got the same result both times - access denied. Is this a Windows thing that is not letting me delete this file?

Your point about Windows disabling autorun's is now bringing back the vague memory of that fact - duh! But the backup batch file works nicely, I've got the backup going to my Dropbox folder on my PC - seems to be working well.

I do also have a computer running Ubuntu - maybe trying to del the autorun.inf from there will work? any advice would be appreciated!
jer989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:06 PM   #4
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Its not Windows or the Kindle itself thats preventing you from doing it. Neither of them have anything built into them that would affect this. The Kindle itself can't access the storage area when you've got it plugged into a PC. Thats why it does the USB Drive Mode.

You got AV software or something else running that is affecting this?

Even if you do get your autorun.inf file on there and remove the patch that disabled it, the backup won't be automatic. Windows only ran autorun items off optical drives without prompting. Everything else brings up a prompt. They've altered it now so that even optical drives should prompt. You can change the settings for this in Windows though.

The flash drives that do have autorun features like the various Sandisk U3 ranges all get around this restriction by sectioning off a small amount of flash and pretending that it is actually an optical drive. The flash drive controller inside needs to support this though.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:58 AM   #5
frostcall
frostcall began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I have a Kindle 3 and I want to do the same thing. Using this page: http://blog.diannegorman.net/2010/09...ortcuts-et-al/ I was able to find my kindle 3's sim card, serial number and even phone number. When I call the number (found on the 3G modem info screen), a females voice comes on and says "not a valid number" then hangs up on me.

Has anyone tried figuring out the whispernet protocol?
frostcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:07 AM   #6
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostcall View Post
I was able to find my kindle 3's sim card, serial number and even phone number. When I call the number (found on the 3G modem info screen), a females voice comes on and says "not a valid number" then hangs up on me.
It doesn't listen for voice calls. The cell connection is only for data. The Voda SIMs inside the B00A Euro Kindle don't even have a number assigned.

Quote:
Has anyone tried figuring out the whispernet protocol?
Its HTTP + SSL.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:50 PM   #7
frostcall

I figured it was a data only connection. I guess my question would be if there is a way to dialup the kindle and send it some data.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:00 PM   #8
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
I figured it was a data only connection. I guess my question would be if there is a way to dialup the kindle and send it some data.
No. It doesn't pick up any incoming calls if it even has a telephone number.

It connects to a private Amazon Whispernet network using 3G data which has proxies and a firewall which only allows web access.

In theory you could make something which runs on the Kindle that tunnels over a HTTP connection to a server you control out on the internet. You could then backup your items that way but it isn't going to be very fast and Amazon will probably notice you uploading a large amount of data since a regular Kindle won't do that ever.

A better option would be to do something via WiFi to be honest. Amazon don't get involved and it will be significantly quicker than trying to do it over 3G. The downside is that you only get a backup when you're at home or have a WiFi connection.

You could get a basic WiFi backup going with rsync and some scripts. You'll have to be careful so you don't completely drain the Kindle battery though. Its relying on the Kindle being idle most of the time to get the rated battery life.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:21 PM   #9
frostcall

Honestly, I'm just trying to find the easiest (and laziest) way to get calibre news on my kindle. I don't want to hack it if I can avoid it. I'm thinking that if I create a mobi book with a link to a local directory, that calibre uploads to, that would be the fastest way. However, Calibre doesnt seem to want to auto-upload to directories other than it's own main. I guess I could just link to the News directory though...

But I'm getting off topic.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:10 PM   #10
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Honestly, I'm just trying to find the easiest (and laziest) way to get calibre news on my kindle. I don't want to hack it if I can avoid it. I'm thinking that if I create a mobi book with a link to a local directory, that calibre uploads to, that would be the fastest way. However, Calibre doesnt seem to want to auto-upload to directories other than it's own main. I guess I could just link to the News directory though...
Calibre can email the file to whateveryourkindleiscalled @free.kindle.com and it will auto deliver over WiFi for free. If you use the free.kindle.com address then it won't ever use 3G. If you use the regular kindle.com address then if you've got a 3G Kindle then it may try to deliver over 3G but it will first try WiFi.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:14 AM   #11
frostcall

Thanks for the heads up. I honestly thought it would only email it back to me, but not allow me to download it for free. I'm quite excited now!