Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-01-2024, 08:40 AM   #271
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe, Oasis, Clara 2E, Libra 2, Libra Colour
Indoors under dull light: Same font (Rakuten Serif), same size, weight and line spacing. KLC on left at 55% brightness, Libra 2 on right at 28% brightness.

Then outdoors on a partly cloudy morning. Same settings.

Then both at 100% brightness, all other settings the same.

Then both at brightness zero. OK right now, but when it gets really sunny, it is worse. Apart from the darkness issue here, the screen looks great.

I think long term I will be using the KLC for my color books and my Libra 2 for standard reading outdoors, will use the KLC for reading at some other times. I thought I would be passing on my Libra 2 or selling it, but I won’t be for now.

Will post pics from my computer as phone not behaving
P.S. I had to make the photos super low quality before the uploads were accepted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4011.jpeg
Views:	162
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	207962   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4012.jpeg
Views:	152
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	207963   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4013.jpeg
Views:	145
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	207964   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4014.jpeg
Views:	151
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	207965  

Last edited by Pjama; 05-01-2024 at 09:00 AM.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 09:29 AM   #272
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MeeBook, Kobo Libra Colour
The 'light off' KLC screen looks a lot like my old PRS-500. Which had no front light and yet I read on it just fine.

So I'll turn the light up a little, no biggie.

As I sit here mournful because I'm still waiting on a shipping notification.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 09:57 AM   #273
Lordblacknail
Groupie
Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2 Galaxy Tab S7 Plus Kobo Libre Colour
does anyone know if the new libre colour will fit in the libre 2 case? i bought several when i got my libre 2 and i still have some new ones in the cabinet.
Lordblacknail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 10:16 AM   #274
Pen&Paper
Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite & Kobo Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post

As I sit here mournful because I'm still waiting on a shipping notification.
Me too.

I think I will only use the Libra Colour for a while, and try very hard not to compare it to my Paperwhite.
Pen&Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 10:36 AM   #275
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Has anyone actually tried black text on a white background?
It's... really bad. I thought at first I would just get used to the difference, but after a night, the difference between Libra 2 and LC is even more stark, and reading on this device is just giving me eyestrain.

If that weren't bad enough, the new update has noticably degraded the visual quality of images. (some) Images rendered inline with text or on screensaver now have very obvious and ugly banding, that was not the case with stock firmware. Images in Imave viewing mode, (ie, cbz) now have lots of ghosting that also was not nearly as bad with the stock firmware.

All in all, once the novelty of colour wears off, I don't think I'll be using this device for anything.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 10:43 AM   #276
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
It's... really bad. I thought at first I would just get used to the difference, but after a night, the difference between Libra 2 and LC is even more stark, and reading on this device is just giving me eyestrain.

If that weren't bad enough, the new update has noticably degraded the visual quality of images. (some) Images rendered inline with text or on screensaver now have very obvious and ugly banding, that was not the case with stock firmware. Images in Imave viewing mode, (ie, cbz) now have lots of ghosting that also was not nearly as bad with the stock firmware.

All in all, once the novelty of colour wears off, I don't think I'll be using this device for anything.
So you've made the background white (not grey) and the text black?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 11:21 AM   #277
MerlinMama
Evangelist
MerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
I’m enjoying the reader, but going from the 8" Sage to the 7" Libra Color is harder than I thought it would be. I'll still use it until they release the Sage in color, which I hope is a 'when' not an 'if'
MerlinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 02:18 PM   #278
Lo7
Lo7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O 2
Hello, I bought yesterday a Clara BW because I wanted a smaller ereader than my Libra 2 that I sometimes find too heavy.
I really like the crisp screen, the small form factor and the “snappiness”.
I’m a bit disappointed by the frontlight though, the screen seems darker at the top. Am I crazy to be bothered by the uneven light? Are your BW the same or should I try to get a replacement at the store?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1170.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	966.6 KB
ID:	207968  
Lo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 02:58 PM   #279
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo7 View Post
Hello, I bought yesterday a Clara BW because I wanted a smaller ereader than my Libra 2 that I sometimes find too heavy.
I’m a bit disappointed by the frontlight though, the screen seems darker at the top. Am I crazy to be bothered by the uneven light? Are your BW the same or should I try to get a replacement at the store?
Do you have the orange light on? If not, the color of the light looks off.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-01-2024 at 03:31 PM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 03:14 PM   #280
judapris
judapris began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Comics in landscape mode

Hello, a question about reading cbz/cbr comics in a Kobo Libra Colour.

I saw in a youtube review that if he reads the comic with device orientation landscape, the kobo automatically shows 2 pages fit to the screen.

Is it possible that in horizontal mode it shows a single page of the comic (adjusted to the width of the screen) and that it can be scrolled vertically?
Thanks
judapris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 03:21 PM   #281
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
...Am I crazy to be bothered by the uneven light? Are your BW the same or should I try to get a replacement at the store?
No, you're not crazy. I've got the original Clara (HD) and the screen is evenly lit. I think it's fair to expect the same for the new Clara B/W.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 03:33 PM   #282
Lo7
Lo7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O 2
Thanks for your replies, I have tried to do a better picture but it doesn’t photograph well. It’s more a gradient than blotches. The screen of my partners Clara 2e is more evenly lit.
If some of you have the BW, I would love to hear from your frontlights 😁
Lo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 05:58 PM   #283
bspline
Enthusiast
bspline began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPads and iPhones
Just received mine.

Coming from the Kindle Oasis, it feels somewhat clunky and the screen looks worse. Not sure the color is a compelling enough feature or just a novelty.

People *will* expect something similar to tablets or smartphones, and we're still a long way from that. I'm familiar with tech and I still had some unconscious bias and hopes.

Size and weight are also a big thing. Mangas, comic books and graphic novels tend to be bigger than the Kobo screen. Combined with the lower resolution, I felt the images weren't big enough.

Not sure if I'll keep it or return and wait some more...
bspline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 06:18 PM   #284
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour, Libra 2, Elipsa, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
Quote:
Small irregularities in front lights are pretty common, I don't know that you'd have any better luck with a new unit.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 06:25 PM   #285
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordblacknail View Post
does anyone know if the new libre colour will fit in the libre 2 case? i bought several when i got my libre 2 and i still have some new ones in the cabinet.

The charging port cutout will not be aligned
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote