Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-25-2010, 04:09 PM   #1
Grumpyreader
Connoisseur
Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Sony PRS505, Kindle 2 Int.
Fictionwise updates

Is it just me or is Fictionwise getting slower updating its new releases on a Monday? This used to happen on or around 10am EST.

Last week I noted that the top listed book was a horror book by Dean Koontz.

Lo and behold, it's 4pm EST on Monday and still no updates.
Grumpyreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:10 PM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Same for me, I don't know. Perhaps they won't make the update till tomorrow
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:23 PM   #3
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Plus, I've noticed that a number of older titles are no longer available. I've been having to purchase older ebook titles elsewhere.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:06 PM   #4
Grumpyreader
Connoisseur
Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.

It's such a shame as Fictionwise used to be my ebook store of choice. They were cheap, had a great selection, picked up on new releases really quickly and regularly updated their website.

Now I'm much more likely to go with BoB (who seem to be undercutting everyone by $0.01 - those pennies add up!) or Amazon.

I'd hesitate to suggest that Barnes and Noble are running them into the ground to kill the competition and buy up their back-catalogue of licenses but...
Old 01-25-2010, 05:13 PM   #5
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
It's never really made sense for a company starting up in a new line of business to buy up the competition so they can close them down-but it happens.

(It doesn't make sense because if the 'new' company is just starting up their business line, as B&N was with eBooks, it would cost the same & provide more profits to buy up the competition & *rebrand* them. Which it doesn't appear that B&N is doing-so I'm not sure what they're doing, and wonder if even they know?)
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:19 PM   #6
Grumpyreader
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
It's never really made sense for a company starting up in a new line of business to buy up the competition so they can close them down-but it happens.

(It doesn't make sense because if the 'new' company is just starting up their business line, as B&N was with eBooks, it would cost the same & provide more profits to buy up the competition & *rebrand* them. Which it doesn't appear that B&N is doing-so I'm not sure what they're doing, and wonder if even they know?)
True. Interestingly I can't find the section on the "New Books" page which says when they're update the list. I'm sure it used to say 10am EST on Monday. Now it just states when the rebates and rapid rebates expire.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:48 PM   #7
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpyreader View Post
I'd hesitate to suggest that Barnes and Noble are running them into the ground to kill the competition and buy up their back-catalogue of licenses but...
...it does rather smell that way? It's a pity, too - in a few short months it's gone from one of my favourite stores to the back of the pack, especially since I used up the last of my Micropay balance.
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:13 PM   #8
alvico
Addict
alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpyreader View Post
Is it just me or is Fictionwise getting slower updating its new releases on a Monday? This used to happen on or around 10am EST.

Last week I noted that the top listed book was a horror book by Dean Koontz.

Lo and behold, it's 4pm EST on Monday and still no updates.
Slower with everything. I lodged a support ticket a week ago and received a "...endeavor to respond within one business day blah, blah..." auto-response but am yet to receive an actual answer to my query. If this is indication of their customer service, I'm not sure I'll be a customer for much longer.

It was my first purchase with Fictionwise. While they were happy to take my money, I was prohibited from downloading my book due to geographical restrictions. Arghh!
alvico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:59 PM   #9
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Yeah, their Customer Service seems to be getting worse and worse. I'm waiting for a reply from them for a problem I reported last Tuesday night. Must be taking lessons from their parent company, Barnes & Noble.

Update: They finally fixed the problem I reported, 8 business days after I reported it.

Last edited by bgalbrecht; 01-31-2010 at 10:37 AM. Reason: update
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:11 PM   #10
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I wonder how eReader.com is doing? I haven't done much shopping lately,
there is so much that I got right after getting my Jetbook Lite. Well, they
don't spoil, so I guess I could get a few more. It might be a good idea if B&N
is engaged in sabotage, of their own subsidiaries.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:22 AM   #11
Grumpyreader
Connoisseur

Hurrah, they've finally updated.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:42 PM   #12
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvico View Post
It was my first purchase with Fictionwise. While they were happy to take my money, I was prohibited from downloading my book due to geographical restrictions. Arghh!
If you get the extra credit card on the bookshelf just use www.hidemyass.com to download the book. After downloading the book once, the extra check will be gone.
You only get the extra check with very few books. Usually you can just download the books.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:04 PM   #13
alvico
Addict
alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
If you get the extra credit card on the bookshelf just use www.hidemyass.com to download the book. After downloading the book once, the extra check will be gone.
You only get the extra check with very few books. Usually you can just download the books.
Thanks, geertm. They've refunded the money today (hooray), but I'll definitely have a look at www.hidemyass.com. Thanks again.
alvico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:38 PM   #14
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
slow

Yes I agree they have gotten slower at updating their site on mondays.

I also feel like they are not giving as many micropay rebates as they used to. Which is a bummer IMO.

I also am noticing more books that I can't get through them that I can get at BoB or another website.

Hopefully they will get this resolved! I would prefer to buy most of my books through one website if possible, just for ease of maintaining my library.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:38 PM   #15
momghoti
Zealot
momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Bookeen
One of the things I've always liked about Fictionwise (aside from the micropay and micropay rebates--although I won't put an extra 5 on a purchase anymore since micropay doesn't get rebates) is the availability of odd, old books and of short stories--there are lots of short stories I'd like to read but either can't find the anthology or don't want the other stories in the anthology. Hopefully B&N won't 'improve' the site by removing the 'books no one's interested in'... If they'd only improve how to *find* the books--the categories are a joke, and there's no way to...say...look for historical romance, or alternate history, or a whodunit mystery instead of a thriller.
momghoti is offline   Reply With Quote