Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-16-2009, 03:54 AM   #1
TotalRoul
TotaleReader Crew
TotalRoul is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad, Cybook, Hanlin v3
Post Could iRex be the company making News Corps. Kindle?

Linked from All Things Digital

http://mediamemo.allthingsd.com/2009...dle-mmmmmaybe/

Quote:
iRex has a machine in the pipeline that will feature a big screen and full color, Brons said. The difference between his color screen and those of his competitors? Most of the latter take the e-Ink technology that powers the Kindle and Sony’s (SNE) Reader and add a color filter on top of that. That reduces the brightness of the screen, Brons said
TotalRoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:37 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I hope not. Irex has already screwed up 2 devices. I don't want them to screw up a third.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2009, 09:02 AM   #3
harryE123
Banned
harryE123 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I hope not. Irex has already screwed up 2 devices. I don't want them to screw up a third.
That's just your opinion of course, and it's shared by very few people it seems, not that you 'd have any vested interests in saying that of course.

Btw it's great to know that there are better large screen readers available then the irex reader...oh wait..there's none at that screen size!
harryE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:18 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The title of the article is one that lends zero confidence in the author. It's not a Kindle and it never will be.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:52 AM   #5
flowoeB
E-Reader Sammler
flowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheese

Device: plenty...
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryE123 View Post
That's just your opinion of course, and it's shared by very few people it seems
don't think so...
flowoeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2009, 01:02 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Have there been other posts about iRex producing a color device? This article quotes (or paraphrases) iRex CEO Hans Brons as confirming a color iRex device for 2010.

On the issue of iRex and screw ups. I think many would agree that iRex devices have not reached their full potential. This is partially from "mistakes" iRex has made but more importantly because as a small company they don't have enough resources to implement even "obvious" enhancements to the existing devices. If someone like News Corp spent some serious money on iRex designs both iRex and News Corp would benefit. The wireless DR1000 variant, for example, would be a good newspaper delivery system with the right hardware and software. Perhaps the (otherwise very strange) delay in releasing this device is due to some radical rethinking of what it would do - I certainly hope so.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:55 PM   #7
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowoeB View Post
don't think so...
Feel free not to talk for the rest of us, mm'k?
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:08 AM   #8
flowoeB
E-Reader Sammler
flowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheese

Device: plenty...
@phishstyx: i would never talk for you, never ever, even if you where the rest of us...

@wallcraft: i totaly agree. the ideas behind the irex devices are great but they don't have the resources to bring them to life. But i don't think it's only a matter of money - they would have to get some knowhow too... todays hardware isn't built in a garage anymore, by trial and error...
flowoeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:31 PM   #9
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
In a forum it is very easy to magnify all the problems of any device, be it eReader, camera, mobile phone, etc. I have seen well respected products panned in forums. The criticisms are valid but the magnifying glass may distort how most people feel about the iRex reader, good or bad. Not to make excuses but the technology is still relatively new for a consumer device. We take for granted the miniaturization and I believe even the e-ink technology. Now add the OS and programming involved to control the screen activity with the OS. In many ways this is a miracle device.

Having said all of that I also believe iRex and the others are now at a point where the product has matured to the degree where the next generation readers can't have the issues we see today.

If it is not obvious already I love the digital reader with all its flaws. Maybe it is not possible to separate the people from the company politics but the iRex developers should be proud of what they have accomplished. I said that in a previous post many months ago and still believe it holds true.
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
irex technologies, kindle, news corp.