Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-09-2010, 05:14 PM   #16
dicknskip
Zealot
dicknskip began at the beginning.

Device: iPad V-3
Before I finish my testing can anyone answer the following: does having both an external .css file and inline styles cause issues? I put my .css in a link and Sigil builds inline styles. The inline style here is a p.xxx and my .css has a p tag as well, but no p.xxx.
dicknskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:47 PM   #17
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicknskip View Post
Before I finish my testing can anyone answer the following: does having both an external .css file and inline styles cause issues? I put my .css in a link and Sigil builds inline styles. The inline style here is a p.xxx and my .css has a p tag as well, but no p.xxx.
Ask this over in the Sigil forum and you'll have a better chance of getting a correct answer.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 11:37 PM   #18
dicknskip
Zealot

I just went to a Sony reader site and found out that this is an ADE (that's Adobe) problem in the Sony readers. I'm trying to find out how to contact Sony and register a complaint.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:26 AM   #19
dicknskip
Zealot

Some success. I did a Google search of all issues related to the 505 and ADE. In the reading I got struck with an idea. Using my little test book I clipped the style items out of my .css and pasted them into the inline style area of the .ePub file as the first entries. I then added this to Calibre and loaded to my 505. Almost perfect! Larger font, centered chapter titles, and indented paragraphs. Still empty lines between the paragraphs and two covers. I think I'll look at the Calibre .ePub conversion settings and play a bit there. Maybe success is near to hand?

SECOND TRY: once I got the book added to Calibre I did an ePub to ePub conversion using the settings suggested in the message above. It is now as close to perfect as I can expect. Large font size, no paragraph space, centred headings, and all. It's been a trip and a half and needs an extra step, that seems like it shouldn't be needed. BUT, it works. I think the inline styles fool the ADE now. To bad as using Sigil to add the .css was cleaner than a cut and paste. From what I read the ADE puts .css files in a non-standard location and that's why they don't work from the standard location used by Sigil and Calibre when you get to the Sony. If anyone from Adobe is reading these messages: shame on you!

Last edited by dicknskip; 06-10-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:50 PM   #20
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicknskip View Post
SECOND TRY: once I got the book added to Calibre I did an ePub to ePub conversion using the settings suggested in the message above. It is now as close to perfect as I can expect. Large font size, no paragraph space, centred headings, and all. It's been a trip and a half and needs an extra step, that seems like it shouldn't be needed. BUT, it works. I think the inline styles fool the ADE now.
If you open up calibre and then open the preferences without selecting any books, followed by choosing "conversion", you can put in 'master' settings for your epub conversions such as all the changes you made in your conversion. Then when you go to convert in the future, these settings including your css will be applied without you needing to put these settings in every time.

I think you can really clean up your workflow to make it much easier for yourself. As I mentioned before, if you save your file from open office as html and then import into calibre for conversion, you could probably save some time.

Last edited by slantybard; 06-10-2010 at 04:16 PM.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 03:58 PM   #21
dicknskip
Zealot

Thanks - I appreciate all the assistance here. It was fun doing some testing and getting a good result.