Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 10-15-2008, 05:29 PM   #1
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
What format do you like to "Store" your books in?

Hi again all /wave

Thought id bring up a couple topics for dicussion to see how people feel and see the marits of different formats.

1) What format do you like to stort your ebooks in?
2) HOW do you store you books?

For ease of editing / coversion / finding the book you really want when you want to read it.

============

1) Right now I prefer RTF for storeing my books. Its very easy to edit the files to get the formating the way you want. Add pictures etc etc.
I considered HTML, but im not great at editing it, and think RTF is easier.

2) I have a master directory called eBooks, under that I have a directory for each other ( LASTNAME, FIRSTNAME ), under that I have each book labeled ( AUTHORS-Lastname, Firstname - SeriesName BOOKNUMBER - BookTITLE )

IE -- just a example

Directory:
eBooks
----> Anthony, Piers
---------> Anthony, Piers - Xanth 01 - Spell For Chameleon.rtf
----> Freedman, Dave
---------> Freedman, Dave - Natural Selection.rtf

This lets me find the book when I want too, keeps series together and ( I HOPE ), stores the book in a format that can be coverted readily to any thing I want in the future.

For now I use a bookwise 1150 and conversion to IMP is super easy.
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:26 PM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I currently keep my books in (unprotected) Mobipocket format, as thats the format I read most. It's relatively easy to get it from Mobipocket into HTML if necessary eventually.

I keep all my books in folders by author name: Last, First
The book names are just the title of the book, although for series of books I add a sequence number to the beginning, e.g.

01 The Colour of Magic
02 The Light Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by askyn View Post

Thought I'd bring up a couple topics for dicussion to see how people feel and see the merits of different formats.

1) What format do you like to stort your ebooks in?
2) HOW do you store you books?

For ease of editing / coversion / finding the book you really want when you want to read it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2008, 06:29 PM   #3
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
I don't have a hard and fast system yet. So far, I keep originals in folders labeled with their place of purchase, ie. Amazon, Fictionwise, etc.

I keep "converted" books in my library folder and most are named by Author Last Name_Series and # (if applicable)_Title.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:11 PM   #4
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
If it already is in ereader format (Fictionwise for example) I leave it in ereader because I can read that on 3 of my 4 main reading devices (ipod Touch, Macbook, Palm PDA although I don't use that one much). If I buy from Fictionwise and it is a multiformat title, I download the ereader version.

If it is not already formatted (e.g. it is plain text) I convert it to ereader to read on my devices, but I store the plain text file. I have a few books like this because I have a dvd with many titles on it, and it was sold to me in plain text so I could convert it as I chose.

I keep folders on my PC (which a backup onto a memory card) organized by type of file. Currently, I have:

- PDF (some writing books, mostly)
- Text (many commercial fiction titles from the cd)
- Fictionwise
- Fictionwise (Secure)
- Other

I do not keep back ups of public domain texts e.g. from Project Gutenberg because I am confident I could download those again should I wish to.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:34 AM   #5
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Well, I have a general Ebooks Folder

Within the folder I have books sorted like this

Genre - Author - Series - Books (all formats)

I've not settled on a single format yet, but am slowly moving toward HTML for storage.

What I usually do when I get a new books is to Strip off the DRM (as I buy Mobi), Create a HTML version and a LRF version. This way I have books formatted for all my devices while still having a universally usable format.

I'm still testing out creating other formats , but that's mainly for the heck of it and not for any real need.

I also archive copies of the tools I use to format shift as well as any files and firmwares for my devices, Just in case
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2008, 03:43 AM   #6
GingerTez
Stroppy Ginger Scotsman
GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
I don't have a hard and fast system yet. So far, I keep originals in folders labeled with their place of purchase, ie. Amazon, Fictionwise, etc.
Same here.

I keep them on a network share on my main Media Centre PC and back them up regularly along with other files.
GingerTez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:08 AM   #7
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
I like to have them in RTF, because it is so easy to edit. I was overseas once and the book on my Sony had text too small to read comfortably even on LARGE. So I just ported it to my laptop, used WORD to increase the font size from 11 to 16, and ported it back to the Sony. Problem solved. Try that with your LRF or LIT or whatever.

On my desktop computer I have two folders:

c:\zzzzzz-ebooks (for ebooks not yet converted for the Sony)

c:\zzzzzz-ebooks for Sony (for ebooks ready for the Sony)

I don't bother with complicated directories and sub-directories. I name each book file the same way: "Author - title" (ie "Piers Anthony - Chameleon.rtf")

If I want to find a book by Anthony Piers, I just do a search in Windows Explorer for "Piers" or "Anthony" or "Chameleon".

For a database of titles I use Infoselect v6 (the lazy person's database).

Oh, yes, I do have 15 years of library work behind me. I know all about Dewey and Cutter and ISBN and ISSN, yadda yadda yadda. I'm just a great believer in the KISS principle.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:38 AM   #8
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
In the Cybook, with 12 sizes to choose for the fonts, many fonts installed if one wants and the possibility of changing to bold any of these sizes… no problem!
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:56 AM   #9
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I have everything in Mobi format and keep them in My eBooks. The Windows Mobireader can use the meta data and sort accordingly.

I also have thet following directory structure as backup, most of it in HTML. The gives me an easy way of edditing, and it is the intermediate format for Mobi. I also have the .opf files and covers there

\Books\
----> Anthony, Piers
---------> Anthony, Piers - Xanth 01 - Spell For Chameleon.html
---------> Anthony, Piers - Xanth 01 - Spell For Chameleon.opf
---------> Anthony, Piers - Xanth 01 - Spell For Chameleon.jpg
---------> Anthony, Piers - Xanth 01 - Spell For Chameleon.prc
----> Freedman, Dave
---------> Freedman, Dave - Natural Selection.html
---------> Freedman, Dave - Natural Selection.opf
---------> Freedman, Dave - Natural Selection.jpg
---------> Freedman, Dave - Natural Selection.prc

This gives me a backup and also works great on my Cybook. There this structure will given me the books sorted by author and title in the library view. Of course only the prc on the Cybook

Last edited by Ortep; 10-16-2008 at 07:03 AM.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:59 AM   #10
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Personally, I have organised my e-library as such:

c:\library\D\Drake,David\MOBI\Drake, David - Hammer's Slammers 01 - The Tank Lords.prc

So, I start with one directory for each letter in the alpahbet, then author, alphabetically by last name, Format of the e-book, and finally the file itself in my prefered naming convention which is Author - Series - Title
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:47 AM   #11
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm operating under the assumption that eBooks will only become easier and cheaper to buy in the future so I'm not bothering to store them in any organised way. If I want to re-read a book years from now, I'll probably just re-purchase it.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:22 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I personally don't limit myself to one format. I store what I buy using clibre and it's native file system store. I also store the versions that I convert that into. The files are so small having two copies of the ebook doesn't bother me. I currently got a 500GB external drive for TimeMachine which is Macs auto back up tool. And, I plan to get Jundle disk to back up the TimeMachine "latest" folder to Amazon S3... I feel pretty confident having the ebooks in 3 places is redundent enough to prevent me from any loss.

Of course, the ebooks I bought are also recoverable from the eBooks stores I bought from if needed. So, make that 4 locations where all my ebooks are stored.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote