Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-30-2008, 09:19 PM   #1
bluearchtop
bluearchtop began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
How to de-activate Sony Reader from Connect?

Hi, I somehow ended up w/ two Sony Connect accounts. And one of the accounts I purchased books on will not let me copy to my reader because it is registered on my other account. Is there some what to deactivate the reader?
bluearchtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:55 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Yes, it's simple enough once you know how (most computer things are simple, they're just also obscure ).

What you do is log into the account that you want to de-authorize from (through the Sony software). Connect your Reader, and go to the "Account" page. On that page, over in the left column of the main window you'll see a "Manage Devices." Under that you'll see the devices registered to the account, that should let you de-auth the Reader from there.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2008, 08:31 AM   #3
PHugger
Connoisseur
PHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle 3G, Sony PRS-505
The process NatCh describes is accurate for everything except the first reader (in my experience). I'm not sure why, but I was unable to select the first reader for de-authorization. I could select the PC and second reader, but not the first one (my first reader died and I got a replacement). It may be that this is the primary device for each account and without it, an account has little meaning, so they prevent you from de-authorizing it. I had to send Sony Support an email and ask for help. They took care of it quickly.

PCH
PHugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:17 AM   #4
bluearchtop
bluearchtop began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Thanks so much, that worked (for my first/only device too). I guess I was missing the key fact that the reader has to be plugged in to the computer to deactivate it.
bluearchtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:32 AM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHugger View Post
I'm not sure why, but I was unable to select the first reader for de-authorization. I could select the PC and second reader, but not the first one (my first reader died and I got a replacement).
I think it's more likely that it was because your first Reader was dead, PHugger -- the eBook Library Software/Store evidently must be able to talk to the Reader to de-authorize it, probably to remove the account decryption key at a guess.

Glad that worked for you, bluearchtop.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2008, 06:53 PM   #6
PHugger
Connoisseur
PHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle 3G, Sony PRS-505
Ahhh - a clue to the inner workings. Actually it wasn't dead, I just no longer had it and couldn't connect it. It makes sense for whatever reason. I imagine it would also prevent a hacked account from having it's devices de-authorized. Thanks for the info!

PCH
PHugger is offline   Reply With Quote