Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 12-01-2010, 12:58 AM   #1
Slydini
Slydini began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Opus
Irex DR800 on clearance at Best Buy for $129 -- Is it worth it?

For any DR800 owners out there, can you please let me know ASAP if I should get this for my 73 year old father. I think that any 6 inch device would probably be too small and the Kindle DX is a little out of my price range. For $129 at my local best buy, should I jump on this now? Here's a short list of questions and concerns:

-- I've heard that IREX is no longer in business

-- How awkward is the stylus thing, i.e. is it easy to navigate with the toggle bar?

-- Any reliability issues?

-- Can you check your email with the the built in 3G and how does the Barnes and Noble experience compare with the Android/Nook's implementation of the online Nook bookstore?

-- How's the included case? Is it a sleeve or is it a book style case that flips around? What's it made out of?

Apologies in advance if these questions have been answered in other threads.... I'm trying to get some quick answers because there's only one unit left in my local store. If you have any relevant comments, they would be greatly appreciated! I've heard mixed reviews, but I'm wondering how those same reviews would change if they were predicated on a $129 price tag...

So should I do it, or just save up and get the Kindle DX (or one of the larger Sony touch readers)?
Slydini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:18 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If you are ok with being $129 out of pocket if the thing breaks, this is a great deal. The DR800 screen is very good and the software is "good enough". I assume the 3G no longer works, since iRex isn't paying the bills. It never did include web browsing so far as I know.

You can navigate with the bar. The touch screen is pen only and only Wacom pens work.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 01:50 AM   #3
Slydini

I hadn't thought of the implications of no more 3G if the company goes under... Can anyone else confirm this? This would probably be a deal breaker for me.

I appreciate the fast reply... Keep em coming! I also have a Cybook Opus and I've been impressed its stability/reliability, so buying from a relatively obscure company doesn't bother me as long as it has a history of good reviews from actual users.

... Anyone else have anything to add?
Old 12-01-2010, 01:52 AM   #4
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Sold out so soon? I can't see any iRex item on Best Buy now.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:12 AM   #5
pauli
Groupie
pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, HTC Hero, DR800SG
129$ is a ridiculously low price... material costs are much higher. Do they only have one unit available?

It's probably a unit that was returned to the store. Make sure to check the device is still working, take a very good look at the display, before you buy it.
pauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 03:18 AM   #6
Slydini

Yeah it was brand new and sealed... I can't find these on the best buy website either, but if you go into your local store you might get lucky and find one nestled between the nooks and kindles.

.... Anyone know if the 3G functionality still works?
Old 12-01-2010, 04:16 AM   #7
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydini View Post
Yeah it was brand new and sealed... I can't find these on the best buy website either, but if you go into your local store you might get lucky and find one nestled between the nooks and kindles.

.... Anyone know if the 3G functionality still works?
129? What a wonderful deal, but 3G definitely won't work. However, you can still download via a computer. It is perhaps still the best E-Ink device out there (size and features wise), I also use it to read my daily paper, works great with the touch screen. If it breaks, however, it can't be repaired. But if care is taken it should last quite a few years.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:46 AM   #8
bokjeid
Addict
bokjeid began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
Wow, it's so fantastic price, I think! Because the used ones would be more expensive than that! So it seems that buying that is always profitable, I assume. But there may be one worst case that it is already broken one - I experienced this case with DR1000S. Finally I stored it as spare parts. But if it can be refunded in this case, it'd be not a problem. And this is all just my personal thought..
bokjeid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:23 AM   #9
Slydini

Thanks for the input everyone!

I think I'm going to get it... Best Buy has a lenient return policy during the holidays (60 days I think?) so if doesn't work out they have a pretty comprehensive collection of eReaders.

It would be nice to have 3G so he could browse the B&N store, but I guess the bright side is that the stylus becomes less necessary for typing searches.

Another question: Will my father be able to navigate the device without the stylus? That would definitely be a plus...
Old 12-01-2010, 10:26 AM   #10
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
He'll be able to navigate but some things might be a bit more cumbersome without a stylus. Also will not be able to do "Go to page" or searches for words.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:19 PM   #11
Slydini

Another question for you guys:

If I download books from my color nook from the B&N store, can I copy and transfer them to the Irex via memory card, or will there be a problem with the DRM? I'm assuming that Adobe Editions will work with this, but I'm not sure how Barnes and Noble will interact with this device with the absence of 3g...

Any thoughts?
Old 12-01-2010, 06:20 PM   #12
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydini View Post
Another question for you guys:

If I download books from my color nook from the B&N store, can I copy and transfer them to the Irex via memory card, or will there be a problem with the DRM? I'm assuming that Adobe Editions will work with this, but I'm not sure how Barnes and Noble will interact with this device with the absence of 3g...

Any thoughts?
Yes, there will be a problem with DRM. You have to register the Irex with ADE and download via a USB connection to a computer -- then it can read the B&N files. Unless you strip the DRM. Besides, taking the memory card out of the Irex is a lot more cumbersome than loading via a computer.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:59 PM   #13
Slydini

Thanks for all the help guys... Unfortunately my story has a bad ending because when I tried to buy it, the manage refused to honor the new price tag that was on the unit. It was a hand written Best Buy tag that didn't have a SKU number on it, and he was unable to confirm that the unit has ever sold for 129.99. I complained that he should honor the price that is clearly written on the box, but he said it may have been a Black Friday promotion that is no longer valid. After 10 minutes of arguing, I decided that it wasn't worth the hassle.... Guess I'll have to save up for the DX or larger Sony Touch
Old 12-02-2010, 07:46 AM   #14
Jumpn Jack Flash
Lazy Git
Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.

Device: iRex DR800S
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
He'll be able to navigate but some things might be a bit more cumbersome without a stylus. Also will not be able to do "Go to page" or searches for words.
Go to page works fine with flipbar, it is just slow to use. I use all the time. Box zoom and pan requires the stylus and I think they are the only things that cannot be done via the menu system.
Jumpn Jack Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:31 AM   #15
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpn Jack Flash View Post
Go to page works fine with flipbar, it is just slow to use. I use all the time. Box zoom and pan requires the stylus and I think they are the only things that cannot be done via the menu system.
Well, I never knew that! Just tried it, it's a pain in the whatsit and takes ages, but useful to know for those times when I'm not in the same place as my stylus
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote