Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-14-2007, 07:19 PM   #1
templario
Connoisseur
templario began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
Question to Adam. B

First of all i´d like to thank you (and all the other developers of course) for all your effort, i just got my cf card today and i´m tryin all your applications, and so far are working quite well, so please keep up the good work, indeed is much appreciated. Unfourtanately i haven´t got the time or the skills to try to port applications (and even i nevere used linux as the operating system).

Now i notice that all your ports must be in the root of the cf card, and i find that after a few applications it looks a bit messy, is there a way to install each program in a different folder, and have all of then inside another folder (named for example my programs)??

Thanks again.
templario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 06:09 PM   #2
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
That brings up a good question. Right now, I compile all my programs for a specific path. While they *could* work in a different place, most look for additional files within that path. For example, FBReader looks for all of it's icons withing /installedpath/share. So I had to release a version that works with compact flash cards and also mmc/sd.

However, I could setup the initial run script so that it makes a symbolic link somewhere on the root file system to wherever you have the program copied. I am hesitant to touch the root file system with a script though. I haven't yet, and I'm not sure if I want to before the unbricking option is available.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 06:14 PM   #3
templario
Connoisseur

That´s fair, thanks a lot. And by the way, have you made progress with abiword?. I think if you make it work, many people would find it useful.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:28 PM   #4
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Unfortunately, AbiWord is another program where you have to touch the root file system in order to get it to work. This, in addition to my word/rtf issues may delay it until I am comfortable releasing it as a working program.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:28 AM   #5
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B.
That brings up a good question. Right now, I compile all my programs for a specific path. While they *could* work in a different place, most look for additional files within that path. For example, FBReader looks for all of it's icons withing /installedpath/share. So I had to release a version that works with compact flash cards and also mmc/sd.

However, I could setup the initial run script so that it makes a symbolic link somewhere on the root file system to wherever you have the program copied. I am hesitant to touch the root file system with a script though. I haven't yet, and I'm not sure if I want to before the unbricking option is available.
That seems like a better solution to me. One single link from the root system to your-favorite-application-folder sounds better than different binaries and the requirement for everything to be in the root of your memory card. But then I don't know much abut Linux
narve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:17 AM   #6
mtas
Enthusiast
mtas doesn't littermtas doesn't litter

Device: iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by narve
That seems like a better solution to me. One single link from the root system to your-favorite-application-folder sounds better than different binaries and the requirement for everything to be in the root of your memory card. But then I don't know much abut Linux
One can always do as I've done. I've created a directory in the root of my CF card called _additional_progs and install all "extras" in that directory. By doing it in this way the directory is not shown in the content lister.

Then, in /usr/share/contentlister/mode/en (or whatever language you are using) I created a directory called e_additional_progs that contains the enclosed Manifest.xml and icon.

In this way you will have an extra menu entry in the main menu of the content lister which contains all your locally installed programs.

If you want to get really "fancy" you can then use the reorder script I posted earlier with the following content in the file new_order:
recentdocs
CF
main
MMC
USB
additional_progs
reference
setup
profiles
In this way you will have a main menu with a first page with recentdocs at the top and additional programs in the bottom.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: xml manifest.xml (463 Bytes, 690 views)
mtas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 04:57 AM   #7
kapoira
Connoisseur
kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: i62HD + T68
mtas i have a question for you, and your method, i'm searching of a way to do that the cqview gets the hardware keys to do this i have to call it via the content listener and i don't wanna change the content listener because the possibility of a bricked iliad.

if i do it your way, can i put a binary in the cf, and it will be called via the content listener...¿? thanks for the reply, and for the trick

I'm thinking of a way to minimize the code i have to change in the cqview, i preffer to only port it, without a change of the original.(This is i'm searching)

now i'm in the work and i don't have acces to my iliad, and the vm for compiling.

Sorry for my english.

Last edited by kapoira; 04-16-2007 at 05:51 AM.
kapoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:13 AM   #8
mtas
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapoira
mtas i have a question for you, and your method, i'm searching of a way to do that the cqview gets the hardware keys to do this i have to call it via the content listener and i don't wanna change the content listener because the possibility of a bricked iliad.

if i do it your way, can i put a binary in the cf, and it will be called via the content listener...¿? thanks for the reply, and for the trick

I'm thinking of a way to minimize the code i have to change in the cqview, i preffer to only port it, without a change of the original.(This is i'm searching)

now i'm in the work and i don't have acces to my iliad, and the vm for compiling.

Sorry for my english.
Yes you should be able to do this. don't have my iLiad with me right now but on my CF card I've got all extra programs installed in the directory _additional_progs with each application in its own directory and its own manifest.xml i.e. in the root directory on your CF card put a directory structure like this:

_additional_progs
|--->program_1
| |--->Manifest.xml
| |--->program_executable
| |--->Other files for this program
|--->program_2
| |--->As for program_1
|--->program_3
|--->As for program_1
Old 04-16-2007, 10:42 AM   #9
templario
Connoisseur

That´s what i meant with my question to Adam B, is it very difficult for the average Joe to do the same as you?, is it danger to brick the Iliad? In that way the card looks clean.
Thanks
Old 04-17-2007, 04:02 AM   #10
mtas
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by templario
That´s what i meant with my question to Adam B, is it very difficult for the average Joe to do the same as you?, is it danger to brick the Iliad? In that way the card looks clean.
Thanks
Well, I don't recommend this for somebody not comfortable with using the command line interface. I'll try to create a script that does this later in the week.

The risk of bricking the device by doing this is virtually nil as long as you don't remove any of the existing directories.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:19 AM   #11
smoogle
That dude with the thing
smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Couldn't the programs all be adjusted to look for all files in their local directories?
smoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:14 PM   #12
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Just an idea... would it be possible to prepare a package and provide a shell installer with all the ports from Adam for an easy install?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:22 PM   #13
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

You know, that's a good idea.

What I can do, throw together a bunch of my programs, layed out like mtas suggested. I can include dillo, mrxvt, keyboard driver, etc if the dev's don't mind. That way, there can be a single, shared library directory (thus saving space) and a way for users to have a large quantity of 3rd party apps.

I'll see what I can do.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:26 PM   #14
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
I'll see what I can do.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:40 PM   #15
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
You know, that's a good idea.

What I can do, throw together a bunch of my programs, layed out like mtas suggested. I can include dillo, mrxvt, keyboard driver, etc if the dev's don't mind. That way, there can be a single, shared library directory (thus saving space) and a way for users to have a large quantity of 3rd party apps.

I'll see what I can do.
Sounds like a great idea!
narve is offline   Reply With Quote