Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
New Info RE PW on Amazon??

There is now a link on the PW product page in paragraph called "We want you to know" that explains some of the "design decisions" made for the PW. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...d_i=B007OZNZQ0

This contains another link to pictures of the screen under different lighting conditions that actually show the cones of shadow: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...d_i=1000841011

I don't remember seeing these before. I apologize if this is old news.
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:10 PM   #2
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
As far as I know this hasn't been posted. It seems like damage control, and possibly a little bit of "you're holding it wrong" (a la iPhone 4), but at least they're admitting there are issues between what was promised and what was delivered.

Thanks!
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Thanks for posting.
Interesting non-apology.
And they forgot to say that 'this is what SOME units look like' when posting those pics.
But it's a step in the right direction, I suppose.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Interestingly enough their own photos of reading in a dark room show a less than optimum screen, to say the least. The idea of the PW is to be able to read in a dark room with the built in light. But even their own photos show you won't get a white screen in a dark room. The upper 2/3 of the screen looks fairly grey and shadowy to me. It looks like you can only expect a white screen in brightly lit rooms and in daylight while outside.

I'm glad I returned mine. This shows that it would never look good for dark room night reading.

Amazon's own photo with caption of Dark room, light setting low [Recommended for most comfortable reading]

EDIT: Thanks for posting this great find!

Last edited by jswinden; 10-11-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:19 PM   #5
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
I'd be happy with either of those units -- I don't see color blotching.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2012, 09:21 PM   #6
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They actually say:

Quote:
Dark room, light setting at full brightness
[Not recommended]
"You're doing it wrong."

(Unfortunately my color blobs show up as soon as I have the lighting high enough to read comfortably in any ambient light level)
Old 10-11-2012, 09:24 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
They actually say:

"You're doing it wrong."

(Unfortunately my color blobs show up as soon as I have the lighting high enough to read comfortably in any ambient light level)
BTW, my color blobs started to show by level 8 and got more severe the higher the level.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:27 PM   #8
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
They said from the get go to use low light settings for dark rooms, WTF! So now they can tell people that they just should have checked the "other" pictures.
Besides, those rooms a not really dark, they are dimly lit, or you would not see the room.

I think they are using a green tinted PW on purpose, so they can say they never showed a white screen in the dark.

Thank you for posting this, induna!!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:30 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

I think those photos show Amazon has made a lemon much like the Sony PRS-700 was. I suspect the PW will be replaced in less than a year.

I tell you what, I would buy it if they got rid of the light layer. I like the rest of the features and speed, but that light will never work for me.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:30 PM   #10
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I'd be happy with either of those units -- I don't see color blotching.
As would I.

The three "Design Decisions" that Amazon mentions appear to be in direct response to the majority of negative reviews that focus on uneven lighting (shadows on the bottom of the screen), no audio/TTS, and less storage.

Of course they do not address the potentially much more serious problem of color blotches and, worse, screen quality that changes (degrades) over time.
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #11
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

PS, I just noticed something! They claim:
"These variations are normal and are located primarily in the margin where text is not present"
Yet, the light variations are totally touching the lower lines of text where you read. So, what they did is have the menu up in the pictures, that way, indeed, you have a nice broad bottom margin and, indeed, the light cones do not touch the text of the book. Unbefrigginlieavable.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #12
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I think those photos show Amazon has made a lemon much like the Sony PRS-700 was. I suspect the PW will be replaced in less than a year.

I tell you what, I would buy it if they got rid of the light layer. I like the rest of the features and speed, but that light will never work for me.
Me too!! Get rid of the light and sell it for cheaper.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #13
Trauma Doll
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by induna View Post
The three "Design Decisions" that Amazon mentions appear to be in direct response to the majority of negative reviews that focus on uneven lighting (shadows on the bottom of the screen), no audio/TTS, and less storage.
Exactly--I think this is an attempt at damage control specific to the low overall review score they're getting on amazon.com for their new flagship e-ink reader. While the color blobs are a problem, a lot of the other 1-star reviews relate to the audio or LED shadow.

I wonder if the tech blogs will FINALLY pick up this story.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:38 PM   #14
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Me too!! Get rid of the light and sell it for cheaper.
Of course they will release that and pretend it is another leap forward, and at the same time the PW will be quietly discontinued without any comment!
Old 10-11-2012, 10:02 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
Exactly--I think this is an attempt at damage control specific to the low overall review score they're getting on amazon.com for their new flagship e-ink reader. While the color blobs are a problem, a lot of the other 1-star reviews relate to the audio or LED shadow.

I wonder if the tech blogs will FINALLY pick up this story.
Yeah alot of people don't like the billboard effect at the bottom. That wouldn't bother me. Those color blobs or the rainbow effect I've come to call it can not be passed on as okay. Fix the rainbow problem and pin lights problems and it would be an okay reader.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote