Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-19-2009, 08:55 PM   #1
exelinguy
exelinguy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
100 Free ebooks from the Sony Store

I am getting my PRS-505 soon and was wondering what free ebooks should I get from the store?

I saw that one can get the same stuff in better formatting elsewhere. But I want to make the best use of this "offer" *cough* if its possible.

I like classical literature, so any recommendations?
exelinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:00 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Oh don't you worry, if you run out you can get PLENTY here

Also, the offer never expires.

If you are daring you can try my spreadsheet of 1001 Books you must Read (not my list, I just put it into a spreadsheet). Around 130 or so of those books are available as free classics on Sony.

I just read Treasure Island and I loved it
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2009, 09:37 PM   #3
exelinguy

What I meant was can I find any books there which cannot be found anywhere else in as good formatting?
Old 01-19-2009, 09:48 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by exelinguy View Post
What I meant was can I find any books there which cannot be found anywhere else in as good formatting?
Well actually I kind of prefer Sony's formatting as opposed to MR books. I like big fat margins around the sides. If you're like me and you just want to use up your code because you can, go nuts for a few hours on Sony's site (which, when I did, I still only found twenty books), then after that if you can't find it on Sony, come over here. 1984, for example, isn't on the ebookstore but it is here.

But really, you don't have to use it.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:22 AM   #5
nwinter
Zealot
nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony PS-505, Iphone and about to add a Kindle DX
what free 100 books? I thought the ones you could get were classics only? am I missing something?

Natalie
nwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2009, 07:02 AM   #6
exelinguy

I think only classics are available- but it is a big list if you havent seen it:

http://ebookstore.sony.com/category/...store-classics

But I don't understand, if sony credits our accounts then cant we use it to get any book on the store?
Old 01-20-2009, 07:16 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Because the classics are all out of copyright, and Sony has formatted them. So no matter how many people buy them, or download them in the free offer, Sony don't have to pay out any money for them.

All the other books, Sony has to pay money to the publisher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exelinguy View Post
I think only classics are available- but it is a big list if you havent seen it:

http://ebookstore.sony.com/category/...store-classics

But I don't understand, if sony credits our accounts then cant we use it to get any book on the store?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:35 PM   #8
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I'd rather they offered a couple free any books than the 100 classics, I downloaded about 25 free classics and several of them were so poorly formatted I deleted them
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:50 AM   #9
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I actually like Sony's formatting. It's neat and clean. Many I find have errors or lack spaces in the right spaces. I downloaded one set of Tom Clancy novels that had the spaces between scenes completely removed. Made reading a bit difficult.

I downloaded a bunch of classics when I got my PRS-505. A lot of things I wouldn't normally go out and buy (even though I generally like classics). So far I've read Turn of the Screw (loved it, and now I want to read more Henry James) and The Pathfinder by James Fenimore Cooper (I love the Leatherstocking series). I don't see any problem with Sony formatting.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:06 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV64 View Post
I actually like Sony's formatting. It's neat and clean. Many I find have errors or lack spaces in the right spaces. I downloaded one set of Tom Clancy novels that had the spaces between scenes completely removed. Made reading a bit difficult.

I downloaded a bunch of classics when I got my PRS-505. A lot of things I wouldn't normally go out and buy (even though I generally like classics). So far I've read Turn of the Screw (loved it, and now I want to read more Henry James) and The Pathfinder by James Fenimore Cooper (I love the Leatherstocking series). I don't see any problem with Sony formatting.
We've got Henry James here, and it's all free.
Also some James Fenimore Cooper.
Thousands of books here on MobileRead - and they're all free.

Have fun.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote