Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #61
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapyap View Post
Location is definitely important when talking about pricing.

The Sony T2 is €165 in the (handful of) shops here that sell e-readers. I got my Kindle Paperwhite (cheapest version, WiFi & ads) delivered for €150, imported via a local shop, which includes all the taxes (VAT + customs).
In the UK, the T2 costs £99, compared with £69 for the basic Kindle, and £109 for the Kindle Paperwhite. Personally I think that Kindle PW is VERY well worth the additional £10 over the Sony.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:29 PM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I think we are just going around in circles until the OP comes back to clarify things and tell us what he wants other then just open.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #63
ragnevi
ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pocketbook 622, iPad 3 and Galaxy Note 2
I was also offered iriver Story and didn't know it had higher resolution on the screen and I didn't do any research at all and chosed the Pocketbook 622, mostly based on that I didn't like the keyboard on the iriver.
The iriver is much better supported in Sweden, you can buy cases and there are a several retailers selling them. With Pocketbook there is almost none, so I hade to buy a case from Hong Kong on Ebay.
But I think that higher screen resolution 1024x768 makes a better improvment when it comes to reading. But I like my Pocketbook 622. People are watching me when I use it in public and asks me what it is. Sometimes I tell them that it is a new prototype of the ipad 5 and Apple is now giving up color in advantage for longer batterylife… You should se their looks on their faces. Sometimes they think it is an old handheld computer from the beginning of the 90's.
ragnevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:23 AM   #64
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewacide View Post
Neat. Most things seem to work pretty well. Multi-column layout. Embeded fonts. Right-to-left, including 'reversed' page turning (tried with Arabic and everything looked nice). Even MathML seems to be mostly working. Also allows for zooming/panning of full-screen images which the regular engine doesn't.

Need to find a doc' with proper footnotes (either end-of-page or pop-up), which is the ePub3 feature I'm really looking forward to, to see if that works...

Wonder what regressions there are that keep them from using this new engine for all books.

Edit -- indeed it does support popup footnotes! at least in very basic form.
MathML? This sounds very good! Is the Kobo the only reader EPUB3 compliant?
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:27 AM   #65
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
MathML? This sounds very good! Is the Kobo the only reader EPUB3 compliant?
As we've already said, the Kindle's KF8 format also supports many ePub3 features, although you do have to convert to "KF8" format first (but if, as I do, you use Calibre, that's a completely transparent process). Although not an eInk device, Apple's "iBooks" reader is also highly ePub3-compliant.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #66
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
As we've already said, the Kindle's KF8 format also supports many ePub3 features, although you do have to convert to "KF8" format first (but if, as I do, you use Calibre, that's a completely transparent process). Although not an eInk device, Apple's "iBooks" reader is also highly ePub3-compliant.
Thanks Harry!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote