Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-29-2011, 04:05 PM   #1
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Annoying behavior of the Kobo Desktop app

I'm annoyed with the Kobo Desktop app synching screen because it has no title bar and thus I'm unable to move it around on the desktop. It's doing some synching right now with my Kobo WiFI and it could be a while. I'd like to drag it off to the side so I can monitor it while it's doing it's thing. But I can't because it's smack in the middle of my 24" monitor and I can't move it.

As a software developer I also happen to know this is just a check box in the forms poperties. So this is an easy fix.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:31 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Its not just that; I find that once it starts and is doing it's initial checking for updates, that I can't even tab away from the application.

The only way I seem able to get to a new application is to Ctrl-Alt-Del; normally I start an instance of Task Manager (or actually SysInternal's ProcMon) and then I can move to other applications.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2011, 06:53 PM   #3
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Its not just that; I find that once it starts and is doing it's initial checking for updates, that I can't even tab away from the application.

The only way I seem able to get to a new application is to Ctrl-Alt-Del; normally I start an instance of Task Manager (or actually SysInternal's ProcMon) and then I can move to other applications.
Tony I just checked my desktop software and I am able to move mine around the screen.
I am running windows 7 pro, 64 bit and I can also snap it to the right or left pane. Not sure why your having touble.

the version of the desktop software is 2.1.5

It definatly seems fine as far as a windows program goes.

If your running on a Mac I cant rightly say how it looks etc

goodluck

Hope that helps...

regards

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:14 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Jack; try moving it when it first starts; especially during the period it is checking for a new version of itself.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:58 PM   #5
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Jack; try moving it when it first starts; especially during the period it is checking for a new version of itself.
Did dont seem to have any issue with it. But did note that it starts where i last left it snapped to the side that might be an option. I do have a quadcore amd phenom with 16 gigs of ram, 2x 1 terabyte hdd which might explain why i do not notice a delay. Not sure why there would be a diferance at any rate. Although I do trust that you guys have the issue you say. Not sure how to duplicate your particular issue.

I guess once you open it and can move it I would suggest moving it to the side if possible. and just leaving it there and see if when you close it and reopen it stays there.

hope that helps

REgards

jack
Advert
Old 11-29-2011, 08:36 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Jack; I am running on a 8 GB; Intel i2500-k with oodles of disks in a multimonitor environment.

Trust me when I say that during the time period that the Desktop is checking for updates to it, NOT during the time it is checking for updates to the library itself, the PC is non responsive.

Frankly, replies like this remind me why I used to have you ignored.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:30 PM   #7
jackastor
Wizard

Well trust me when i say it works fine here. It works perfectly here no issue and i can do what ever i want around the screen. I can move it etc. tried both startup etc
No hoging of resources here. cant explain the differances was only suggesting a possible reason why my machine was not seeing a delay.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:27 AM   #8
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Tony I just checked my desktop software and I am able to move mine around the screen.
I mean the white screen that appears while the desktop software is syncing with the Kobo. Not the initial screen with all the book covers.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:47 PM   #9
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor
I do have a quadcore amd phenom with 16 gigs of ram, 2x 1 terabyte hdd which might explain why i do not notice a delay. Not sure why there would be a diferance at any rate.
The computer isn't the issue, it's actually the Kobo servers.

Normally, the Update check is accomplished so fast there isn't time to experience the problem in question, but once in a while if the servers are busy (for whatever reason) the Update check routine will linger until it goes to the Checking for Books routine. During this time when the Update check routine is displayed on the screen, the computer cannot perform any other multitasking duties.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:22 PM   #10
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
I mean the white screen that appears while the desktop software is syncing with the Kobo. Not the initial screen with all the book covers.
I dont ever see a white screen so not sure where to look for what your describing. I just synce wtih my touch and i can move my app around still.
Wish I could see what you mean though. Then I might understand it better.

Wish I could offer some insight.

regards

jack
Old 11-30-2011, 06:22 PM   #11
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
The computer isn't the issue, it's actually the Kobo servers.

Normally, the Update check is accomplished so fast there isn't time to experience the problem in question, but once in a while if the servers are busy (for whatever reason) the Update check routine will linger until it goes to the Checking for Books routine. During this time when the Update check routine is displayed on the screen, the computer cannot perform any other multitasking duties.

ltr
I have never seen this issue ever.