Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 08-29-2010, 06:42 AM   #16
TomeRaider
Enthusiast
TomeRaider began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy, Sony PRS505, PB 302, PB 360
Problem is Harry that the case is thin plastic as is the cover. If you carry this device around in your laptop bag or wherever, it is far more vulbnerable than other ebook readers. I've carried my sony around for years without any issues at all and that's because both the case and the cover are sufficiently rigid to offer adequate protection.

I don't think it represents good value for money for this reason as it costs top dollar to buy compared to other devices.

If you must get a 5 inch then I would buy the Sony for price and sturdiness even though its not so flexible.

In the UK at present though the new Kindle looks to be to be far and away the best buy both price and function wise. I have ordered one (hopefully it's wifi capabilities works a little better than the 302) and its costing me $30 dollars less to buy than repairing my 360 which was a kiss goodbye to $300

As far as file formats go, that's not such an issue as you will probably end up converting all your collection to an appropriate format(s) using calibre so I wouldn't make that a deciding factor in your choice.

The bottom line is that the 360 has a nicer form factor and offers a bit more flexibility but is far more delicate and costs a lot more
TomeRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:51 AM   #17
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardgainer View Post
Is it so bad?? ...
Previous poster had bad experience with broken screen on PB360, so in his eyes PB360 *is* flimsy.
My first e-ink reader was Sony, and I wouldn't say that PB360 is flimsier. If you toss it to a backpack with several bricks and then let the backpack fall down the stairs (I am not trying to allude that previous poster did such thing) then Sony with its full metal jacket and thick (and heavy) cover is more likely to survive than PB360. If you let both devices fall from 1.2 meter on a floor covered with a flimsy carpet, I would say that PB360 would have better chances for survival, because it is lighter.
When I travel with my PB360, I keep it in a very sturdy custom made box that would survive SUV driving on the top of it.

Keep in mind that ALL current e-ink devices have a thin glass panel at the back of the display, so they are all fragile. Especially it you push directly on the screen or twist the frame of the device. We are all waiting impatiently for the first devices with so-called "plastic" screens. Plastic screen doesn't have glass back-pane, but is made from plastic and is bendable.
I wonder, what manufacturer will be first to sell plastic screen devices for reasonable prices. One thing is clear, it won't be Plastic Logic - the company that made quite a splash some time ago with its Plastic Logic A4 sized device.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2010, 08:59 AM   #18
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomeRaider View Post
If you must get a 5 inch then I would buy the Sony for price and sturdiness even though its not so flexible.
Last time I looked Sony PRS-300 had no cover at all supplied by default with the device. And even flimsy plastic lid is much better protection than Sony pouch.

Please notice, I am not disputing your price argument. PB-360 seems to be a little bit behind the times regarding the price, especially since the price war began.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:07 AM   #19
TomeRaider
Enthusiast

Of course I'm tainted by my experience as would be any of the folks on this thread if it had happened to them. My device was not mistreated in any way and none of the many devices in my ownership has ever had anything like this happen to it. In looking at the device, I conclude that its design renders it more susceptible to damage than the others in my collection (or others by major manufacturers on the market).

I don't own a sony 300 or intend to buy one, I'm simply pointing out the huge price disparity and difference in build materials. If you were to see them side by side in a store you would be surprised at which one was significantly more expensive than the other. Unfortunately that's not possible as the 360 is only available by mail order to my knowledge (raises the question of why the chain stores weren't interested?).

The Sony 300 has an orderable cover that is similar to the 505 and 302 - an important protector that also allows you to read whilst attached - the pb 360 has no such option. It comes with a plastic clip cover that does no more than protect the screen from scratches - useful but there is no real cover protection available (probably due to its design shape).

There's only 2 reasons I can think of for buying a 5 inch over the more standard 6 which offers more real estate:

1) A six inch device becomes tiring to hold
In this case using a 360 around the house would be viable provided it is carefully handled

2) you want a more portable device to carry around
I suspect this is the main reason for wanting a 5 inch display. In this case the 360 can not be considered safe to be carried in pockets or bags without an addition (non purpose made) cover which makes a nonsense of going for a 5 inch as the total size of the portable device when it's inside another case would become as big as carrying a 6 inch device

There are other aspects of this device that I would nit pick about - main buttons are nasty, require too much pressure to push and feel cheap + the fit and feel of the cover doesn't exactly scream quality.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:18 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomeRaider View Post
The Sony 300 has an orderable cover that is similar to the 505 and 302 - an important protector that also allows you to read whilst attached - the pb 360 has no such option. It comes with a plastic clip cover that does no more than protect the screen from scratches - useful but there is no real cover protection available (probably due to its design shape).
Just in the interests of accuracy, Pocketbook do offer a leather "wallet" for the PB360. Picture here.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2010, 10:55 AM   #21
TomeRaider
Enthusiast

That looks like it might help if its rigid like the 302 case. Pity its not a book cover type format. The nice thing about the 302 case is that you can fold it right back and secure with the metal fastener. This enables you to read 1 handed with the cover still on
Old 08-29-2010, 10:58 AM   #22
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Unfortunately that's not possible as the 360 is only available by mail order to my knowledge (raises the question of why the chain stores weren't interested?).
I'd say that's a choice by Pocketbook, assuming they didn't have any kind of physical selling points until very recently (their first one got opened in Kiev, where the company's HQ are placed) but they're still the leading brand in Eastern Europe.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:18 AM   #23
Forkosigan
Wizard
Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.

Device: Pocketbook Touch (622)
PB360 Premium Cover

http://www.pocketgoods.de/Premium-Co...ocketBook-360/
Forkosigan is offline   Reply With Quote