Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 01-02-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Age Old question -- SD card vs internal memory

Cuz this was addressed in a couple other threads, but isn't strictly on topic for any of them, I thought I'd just stick the results of my little experiment out here.

Should we use the SD card or internal memory. Which is faster? Why one over the other?

Lots of theories there, but I didn't see actual figures, so...

Hooked up my Astak PPro via the USB cable, dragged and dropped the Astak "500+ Free eBooks" folder (about 250m) from my computer to the internal memory, then to the SD card, deleted both, then stuck the SD card in a card reader and did the same.

USB cable 250m file folder:

To int mem = 6 minutes. Delete same, 2 minutes.

To SD card = 3 minutes. Delete same, 20 sec.

SD Card in card reader:

To SD card = 1 min 20 sec. Delete same, 15 sec.

Hope it helps some. Naturally, results will vary depending on each person's equipment.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 04:46 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
What I don't understand is the long delete times on the PEz?
Delete is really a "Mark Deleted/ space is Available" or a Move (the directory entry) to the trash folder (one for each storage device).

The file should not change position in the Flash, therefore only take seconds to re-write the directory entry and FAT table
Your times in the Card Reader are what I expected.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 05:57 PM   #3
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
What I don't understand is the long delete times on the PEz?
Delete is really a "Mark Deleted/ space is Available" or a Move (the directory entry) to the trash folder (one for each storage device).

The file should not change position in the Flash, therefore only take seconds to re-write the directory entry and FAT table
what you describe is the way MS does it in Windows, and that is fine for magnetic disks. However, since a NAND FLASH allocation block cannot be rewritten until it is truely erased, maybe Jinke is doing an actual erase when files are deleted? That would improve write speeds when the blocks are later reused.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote