Notices

Old 03-11-2009, 06:06 PM   #1
eal
eal began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Plastic Logic Reader on San Francisco newscast

link

shown on ABC7 News on Monday 9 March.

Last edited by eal; 03-11-2009 at 06:28 PM. Reason: called is a Reader instead of eReader
eal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:11 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
They call it an "ereader". I bet fictionwise and B&N would have something to say about that.

Between $300 and $800... that nails it.

Oh, and you can download the newspaper over the air "magically" then read it. Hmm... sounds vaguely familiar.

bOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2009, 06:18 PM   #3
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Haha!

I love the end when the guy says "Its like the Kindle for books."

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:21 PM   #4
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Looks good, though. Love the touch navigation, as long as the screen retains its contrast and clarity.

What's the vertical line in the upper right?
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:22 PM   #5
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
What's the vertical line in the upper right?
It seems like a screen defect. It is a bit troubling that almost all Plastic Logic device in various video clips have similar defects. Hope they can fix the problem before the release of the final product. I mean, what is the point of having a plastic screen if the screen goes bad so easily?
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2009, 07:58 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by soilwork View Post
It seems like a screen defect. It is a bit troubling that almost all Plastic Logic device in various video clips have similar defects. Hope they can fix the problem before the release of the final product. I mean, what is the point of having a plastic screen if the screen goes bad so easily?
Probably only a few units exist and you may be seeing the same one. These are all one-off prototypes and should not be judged for manufacturing quality or ruggedness.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:04 PM   #7
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Definitely a cool reader.

I'm not sure I'd be interested in one that size, since I mainly read novels and don't read the newspaper etc that often (other than skimming the website) and it would lose the portability I love of the Kindle so much to some extent.

But definitely an awesome device for people that read the newspaper daily, or just read their ebook at home where size doesn't matter as much.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:33 PM   #8
ahintz
Zealot
ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW/iPhone5/iPad (3)/Nook ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
I love the end when the guy says "Its like the Kindle for books."

Amy
I think the anchor was trying to say that where the Plastic Logic device is focused on newspapers, it is like the Kindle which is focused on books. Cool story though - eInk and similar displays are going to just keep getting better.
ahintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:44 PM   #9
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Probably only a few units exist and you may be seeing the same one. These are all one-off prototypes and should not be judged for manufacturing quality or ruggedness.

Dale
It is a reasonable explanation and I really hope it is the case.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:57 PM   #10
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
I prefer to flip pages with buttons. I like to keep the screen clean. And the less I touch it, the less chances I'll break it. The device in the video was already damaged. I wonder why they chose to show off a defective unit.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote